So many doom and gloomers...

Haha....I liked Pearl too, but he couldn’t develop players AT ALL. He, and the staff he had while at TN would not have developed Grant, Kyle, Schofield, and Bone into the players they became under Barnes & Staff.
Loved Pearl. Great CEO, ambassador, and recruiter. The fact that he won four of his last five games prior to yesterday in overtime proves to me he is a very lucky guy. That ship has sailed and is never going to visit the Port of Knoxville again. Barnes is a great developer of talent.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Let’s repeat.

I was a fan of Pearl, but grew tired of watching talent like Scotty Hopson, et al. wasted while it felt like no one was harnessing that full potential

Bruce would have never recruited either of those players...nor developed them as Barnes did.
Huh? Pearl just went to the final four. One of his best starters (Bryce Brown) was a three star who went on to first team all-SEC. The similarity in ranking to Lofton and Grant, as well as results, is very similar. Jujuan is another example of a well developed player. Brian Williams? The list goes on.

Pearl took UT further than any coach in history and that’s a fact. So, that comparison will always be there until Barnes does more in the post season.

Didn't show up for an average Wisconsin team either.

You must you must not watch a lot of college basketball... I pretty much watch any team that’s on TV when I’m sitting in front of it...

That being said...Wisconsin is a solid team regardless of what their record says.

I was a fan of Pearl's, too. I still have my Pearl suspenders. I thought he was a good "game day" coach and decent developer, but Barnes recruits more good-character guys.

You must you must not watch a lot of college basketball... I pretty much watch any team that’s on TV when I’m sitting in front of it...

That being said...Wisconsin is a solid team regardless of what their record says.

They're are 15-10 and we are 14-11. Wow, what a difference

Huh? Pearl just went to the final four. One of his best starters (Bryce Brown) was a three star who went on to first team all-SEC. The similarity in ranking to Lofton and Grant, as well as results, is very similar. Jujuan is another example of a well developed player. Brian Williams? The list goes on.

Pearl took UT further than any coach in history and that’s a fact. So, that comparison will always be there until Barnes does more in the post season.

However, last season’s Auburn team was talented. Okeke, Harper, Spencer, Purifoy were all 4 stars.

I agree that Pearl has developed some 3 star type talent, but his successful teams have been talented, like most coaches have.

Like Chris has said before, by the time he got the raise, there wasn’t much he could do about this year. He brought in Vescovi which has been pretty clutch
Doesn't matter, he demanded the raise now hes not meeting minimum expectations for a program who's Basketball coach is the 4th highest paid coach in the country.

Reactions: SmokeyLives
However, last season’s Auburn team was talented. Okeke, Harper, Spencer, Purifoy were all 4 stars.

I agree that Pearl has developed some 3 star type talent, but his successful teams have been talented, like most coaches have.
Yes, I’m aware. Pearl has recruited better at Auburn than he did here.
I always thought Pearl suffered as a recruiter because he didn’t have star power. Oddly, his show cause and time as a commentator caused his star to rise.

I have a client who’s son is being recruited by Pearl and it was interesting to hear his thoughts. Granted he thought a lot of Barnes, but he was almost smitten with Pearl.

I always thought Pearl suffered as a recruiter because he didn’t have star power. Oddly, his show cause and time as a commentator caused his star to rise.

I have a client who’s son is being recruited by Pearl and it was interesting to hear his thoughts. Granted he thought a lot of Barnes, but he was almost smitten with Pearl.

I liked Pearl and respected what he did for Tennessee.

However, he made a costly mistake by lying and getting other players to lie to the NCAA over a BBQ.

His selfish acts cost him his job. All he had to do was not be stupid and just tell the truth.

However, he made a costly mistake by lying and getting other players to lie to the NCAA over a BBQ.

His selfish acts cost him his job. All he had to do was not be stupid and just tell the truth.
I think all that goes without saying.

He skirts with the rules, and I don’t think it’s debatable. And...yes, I know that’s how college basketball works. Pearl has “connections” in Atlanta.

Still blows my mind that he had to leave because of this and Will Wade gets caught red handed, tells the NCAA to F off and keeps his job

We hit 75% FT on the year
We hit 60% FT last night
We hit our norm we simply win

Attachments

• EBA7770F-537D-48B8-AE67-62EA9EC25C2C.png
    EBA7770F-537D-48B8-AE67-62EA9EC25C2C.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 8
  • C6D96A14-E5E3-4EDC-BCB5-3DC6C267C006.png
    C6D96A14-E5E3-4EDC-BCB5-3DC6C267C006.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 8
He skirts with the rules, and I don’t think it’s debatable. And...yes, I know that’s how college basketball works. Pearl has “connections” in Atlanta.
You are barking up the wrong tree if you are trying to put me in a position to defend Pearl and what happened while he was here. As far as what you just said, if you have evidence call the SEC or NCAA. He ain’t our coach, so if he’s breaking the rules, take his ass down.

You are barking up the wrong tree if you are trying to put me in a position to defend Pearl and what happened while he was here. As far as what you just said, if you have evidence call the SEC or NCAA. He ain’t our coach, so if he’s breaking the rules, take his ass down.

No, not trying to put you in any position. But it’s easy to figure out how he gets a 3 year show cause and is then back to recruiting well. I said while he was at UT that he liked to play the recruiting game.

Pearl lies and gets an 8 game SEC suspension at UT and then gets fired. At Auburn, his assistant is then charged by the FBI, and Pearl gets nothing and makes a FF. Go figure. But 2 + 2 = 4. Pearl may as well be lumped in with Will Wade and Bill Self.

Last year is what I expected. This year is what I expected. Next year will be what I expect for next year. We will be really solid next year. So...if you have a realistic expectation then it's so much easier.

Bingo! When Turner went down, it was too much to overcome given the players we already lost in the offseason. The team lost a ton of talent.

Still blows my mind that he had to leave because of this and Will Wade gets caught red handed, tells the NCAA to F off and keeps his job

I’m willing to bet if Pearl hadn’t lied over the BBQ, he wouldn’t have got fired.

The crime itself was very minor.

Either Pearl panicked or he knew he’d get caught eventually. I guess lying was his only option at the time.

I think it rubbed the administration the wrong way.

Your right. Barnes had his best chance to win it all last year. He failed. I think Bruce Pearl could of took last years team with Admiral, Grant and those guys, and won it all.

Pearl couldn't take his best team at UT past the Sweet 16, so spare me the gushing for Pearl.

Nope, hes making more money than coaches who have won national titles and for what?

Geezus. The whining about the salary is getting so damn annoying. If this happens next year, you can complain.

I think Barnes could win a mother fn national title and some of our fanbase would still b****.

Reactions: alaVOL

VN Store

Back