So many doom and gloomers...

Pearl couldn’t win it all with his team, which had higher rated players. My goodness, we have a fickle group of fans.

This. His best team at UT got their asses kicked by Louisville in the Sweet 16.

I find it humorous the constant hand wringing over Barnes and "not winning the big one"....but Pearl underachieved with his best team here and his highest finish here was the Elite 8. Yes, our only Elite 8 ever, but I have this feeling if next year Barnes makes the Elite 8 it suddenly won't be good enough. It will be we didn't make the Final Four, or that we didn't win it all.

Reactions: VolGee4
This. His best team at UT got their asses kicked by Louisville in the Sweet 16.

I find it humorous the constant hand wringing over Barnes and "not winning the big one"....but Pearl underachieved with his best team here and his highest finish here was the Elite 8. Yes, our only Elite 8 ever, but I have this feeling if next year Barnes makes the Elite 8 it suddenly won't be good enough. It will be we didn't make the Final Four, or that we didn't win it all.
Good grief

I haven't heard THAT much criticism of where we're at this year. I mean the usual 48 hour emotional we-shoodas after game losses. But, overall the general consensus to begin the season (With Lamonte) was that we were a bubble team. We had a little early success with a number beside our name and that can turn out bad when things balance out.
Not shocked here. Even with the transfer / injury / approvals circus, we are pretty much where I expected ... on the bubble. We're out at the moment it seems tho.

Reactions: Roustabout
And this is why we continue to settle for a **** product. For ****s sake... EXPECT champions. Demand champions.

When the head basketball coach is being paid like he's at Duke I don't think making the NCAA tournament is an unreasonable expectation. Barnes played UT last year and wouldn't have been here had it not been for a buyout hang up. This season is a direct result of lazy recruiting Barnes first 3 years, the team isn't any good but that falls on Barnes.

Except that the Duke coach makes twice as much as The Deacon is making.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I don't understand why fans are so upset. Tennessee has never been a great basketball program in its history. We've had a couple years here and there but fans act like we are Duke. Just appreciate what we had the last two years realize the next two has potential and stop acting like Tennessee basketball has always been something special.
We will be back. UK is about the only sec team that truly reloads every year. Team is playing hard...though sometimes not smart. LSU buys their way, and we got caught with early nba drafts. Don’t think at the start of last year that anyone thought Bone was ready. So, Bone and Turner not being with us hurts us terribly.

I don't understand why fans are so upset. Tennessee has never been a great basketball program in its history. We've had a couple years here and there but fans act like we are Duke. Just appreciate what we had the last two years realize the next two has potential and stop acting like Tennessee basketball has always been something special.

your point is right on

I’m willing to bet if Pearl hadn’t lied over the BBQ, he wouldn’t have got fired.

The crime itself was very minor.

Either Pearl panicked or he knew he’d get caught eventually. I guess lying was his only option at the time.

I think it rubbed the administration the wrong way.
The crime itself was very minor, but not for a coach who had already committed the same rules violation at his previous coaching stop. He was basically caught in a position to lie and cover his tracks, or tell the truth and be be branded a repeat offender by the NCAA, and leveled a harsher penalty than what the infraction, in a vacuum, warranted.

Only after discovering they had him dead to rights, did he come into some crisis of conscience, and then still committed at least one other violation after the fact.

Always want to improve. It would take generations to reach Blue Blood status. But it's not unreasonable to get back to the clear number 2 in the SEC and to match any Big 10 team, the Syracuses, the UConns, the Villanovas, the Gonzagas. Georgetown, St. John's, UNLV, and Houston were near Blue Bloods a generation ago. San Francisco was an outstanding program 2 or 3 generations ago. Some program(s) will emerge as big time in the coming years. TN can be one of them.

Barnes raised expectations when he demanded his salary be raised to unreasonable heights....
Not sure why it is relevant to so many what Barnes’ salary is. He did what any valuable employee does in any market. UT didn’t have to pay him and could have let him walk. And we would have been much worse off than we are now, in my opinion.

Barnes is a very good coach who had some misses in recent recruitment cycles, it is true. We also had some unusual circumstances in the past 9 months, including Bone leaving sooner than expected, Turner‘s injury, Burns departure, etc.... But glass half full, the recruiting class coming in is excellent and we have seen amazing progress with any number of players. Finding Vescovi was creative and has been a net positive. Historically speaking, it is a good period for UT basketball and Barnes should get all the credit, regardless how much he makes. Let the persons responsible for making decisions on what his compensation is do their job and just evaluate the record he has had since he inherited this program. We are not a traditional power. This year we were hoping for more, as I’m sure he was as well, but we started the season betting on two senior guards leading the way, and find ourselves now being led by an overachieving post player from Kingsport, a kid from France who could barely dribble 2 years ago, and a 18 year old from South America who didn’t even get a pre-season. For all of this...I give Barnes a pass this year.

We will be back. UK is about the only sec team that truly reloads every year. Team is playing hard...though sometimes not smart. LSU buys their way, and we got caught with early nba drafts. Don’t think at the start of last year that anyone thought Bone was ready. So, Bone and Turner not being with us hurts us terribly.
I just hate seeing Tennessee Basketball fans acting like Kentucky Football fans. We have always been a Football school that has special mens basketball teams every so often.

Not sure why it is relevant to so many what Barnes’ salary is. He did what any valuable employee does in any market. UT didn’t have to pay him and could have let him walk. And we would have been much worse off than we are now, in my opinion.

Barnes is a very good coach who had some misses in recent recruitment cycles, it is true. We also had some unusual circumstances in the past 9 months, including Bone leaving sooner than expected, Turner‘s injury, Burns departure, etc.... But glass half full, the recruiting class coming in is excellent and we have seen amazing progress with any number of players. Finding Vescovi was creative and has been a net positive. Historically speaking, it is a good period for UT basketball and Barnes should get all the credit, regardless how much he makes. Let the persons responsible for making decisions on what his compensation is do their job and just evaluate the record he has had since he inherited this program. We are not a traditional power. This year we were hoping for more, as I’m sure he was as well, but we started the season betting on two senior guards leading the way, and find ourselves now being led by an overachieving post player from Kingsport, a kid from France who could barely dribble 2 years ago, and a 18 year old from South America who didn’t even get a pre-season. For all of this...I give Barnes a pass this year.
Demanding a coach with a top 5 salary make the NCAA is unreasonable? He wanted to paid as if he were at a traditional power but doesn't want the expectations? He did this not the fans

200 D1 mens basketball teams. 68 will get an invite, 34%. I don't think it's too much to expect Tennessee to make the NCAA tournament. This is Rick's six year in Knoxville, so far he's taken the team to the dance two times. It's possible to still get there this year, to do so would mean the light comes on for this team/staff and they reel off several wins in the next couple weeks. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

Last edited:
College Basketball Coaching Salary and Buyout Database for 2019-20 Season - Stadium

Top 5 Salary to miss the tourney? Look I would be fine with it given the circumstances had Barnes not played UT last spring. He raised the bar here with his demands not the fans.
Well, he may not be the only one in the top 5 to miss the tournament, and how ironic that the other was UCLA's next choice after him? Those two won't be the only 2 coaches in the top 10 to miss, either. Success isn't an exact, infallible science.

200 D1 mens basketball teams. 68 will get an invite, 34%. I don't think it's too much to expect Tennessee to make the NCAA tournament. This is Rick's six season in Knoxville, so far he's taken the team to the dance two times. It's possible to still get there this year, to do so would mean the light comes on for this team/staff and they reel off several wins in the next couple weeks. Guess we'll see how that plays out.
No it's not.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Demanding a coach with a top 5 salary make the NCAA is unreasonable? He wanted to paid as if he were at a traditional power but doesn't want the expectations? He did this not the fans
For the 500th time, this team was always, realistically, going to be on the NCAAT bubble. That was before Turner got hurt, and after Bone and William's left early. Barnes got his raise in April. What sort of sorcery did you expect he'd whip up to change the situation 6 months before the season started? So, this season was going to be a down year whether he made $3 million or $4.7 million.

Raise your expectations, that's fine, but give a reasonable amount of time for him to make any realistic adjustment to the roster quality. Otherwise, you just look vindictive and irrational as if you wanted him to fail to prove a point. Perhaps allow him to improve the talent by recruiting a top 5 class...oh wait...

For the 500th time, this team was always, realistically, going to be on the NCAAT bubble. That was before Turner got hurt, and after Bone and William's left early. Barnes got his raise in April. What sort of sorcery did you expect he'd whip up to change the situation 6 months before the season started? So, this season was going to be a down year whether he made $3 million or $4.7 million.

Raise your expectations, that's fine, but give a reasonable amount of time for him to make any realistic adjustment to the roster quality. Otherwise, you just look vindictive and irrational as if you wanted him to fail to prove a point. Perhaps allow him to improve the talent by recruiting a top 5 class...oh wait...
For the last time this team is the result of lazy recruiting in Barnes first 3 years. Don't sit there and act like none of this is Barnes fault, its 100% his fault. He raised the bar by demanding more money, guess what the expectations have raised now. When you make that type money missing the tournament is unacceptable. He also owes this place a final 4 in the next 5 years anything less is an absolute failure. Sorry not sorry

For the last time this team is the result of lazy recruiting in Barnes first 3 years. Don't sit there and act like none of this is Barnes fault, its 100% his fault. He raised the bar by demanding more money, guess what the expectations have raised now. When you make that type money missing the tournament is unacceptable. He also owes this place a final 4 in the next 5 years anything less is an absolute failure. Sorry not sorry

ROFL....

JFC some of this fanbase.

Because they are. After repeating themselves for the 1000th time, maybe it's time to just STFU.

And I 100% believe we have some on here that want us to not make a Final Four under Barnes just so they can keep beating that drum.

College Basketball Coaching Salary and Buyout Database for 2019-20 Season - Stadium

Top 5 Salary to miss the tourney? Look I would be fine with it given the circumstances had Barnes not played UT last spring. He raised the bar here with his demands not the fans.

I think he actually demanded more from the school in regard to support. Then he went out and signed a top 5 class. I don’t know if it’s related or not but he took his staff to Memphis to see Kennedy Chandler play immediately after our Memphis game. I don’t think most fans realize that it takes coordination and resources from the school for that to occur. A coach just can’t ask for it, and it automatically happens.

As others have said, he couldn’t change this roster that much in April after his raise.

Lol. Except we’ve never made a Final Four. That’s awful expectations to determine failure.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back