So many ACL tears these days...are we running up against the physical limits of the human body?

Hey WoodsmanVol, how did you become so aware? Everything you said is spot on. Today almost all of today’s maladies didn’t exist or were rare 50 years ago. Today’s maladies are self inflicted due to ignorance or denial. Obesity is the no. 1 reason for morbidity in the U.S. today. Complications from obesity related illnesses are now no. 1 for mortality in the U.S.. And before anyone starts screaming that some people are naturally obese or that their obesity is due to a medical condition, less than 1% of obesity can be related to a predisposition or medical condition.

Flag football is coming to a P5 school near you!
The Alabama Big Red Roses vs Tennessee Daisies

As to helmets, I think a return to leather helmets will limit head injuries since the ability to use it as a weapon will be limited.
Besides, they look cooler

Reactions: Big Al Orange
As bad as it is for football players, it's way worse for Women Athletes.

Maybe they should reduce the length of cleats and restrict artificial turf.....just a thought.

Flag football is coming to a P5 school near you!
The Alabama Big Red Roses vs Tennessee Daisies

As to helmets, I think a return to leather helmets will limit head injuries since the ability to use it as a weapon will be limited.

I prefer the Alabama Pink Pansies vs Tennessee Orange Daisies!

It’s an interesting question. As athletes continually get bigger and stronger, some parts of their bodies do not. Not entirely sure about ligaments and tendons, but this issue comes up routinely regarding concussions. Players heads don’t get bigger, stronger, etc. But the hits to their heads are coming from athletes who are bigger, stronger, and faster everywhere else
Alot of people don't realize what you just said. Steroids is a big factor in alot of them because muscles are getting bigger stronger and your ligaments/tendons are not. Professional Wrestling fake or not is notoriously bad with this.

Reactions: maotai
I’ve torn my left ACL twice (24 yrs old). It’s not fun at all and your knee will never feel the same again, I don’t care what someone tells you. In football, I think we will only see an increase, with players being forced to hit lower on the body.

Tore my left ACL. Now (18 years later) the graft is wearing out and it causes slipping in the joint and Arthritis. Doc says when it goes, it will be time for a knee replacement.

Reactions: Grudenator

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT VIDEO please watch! Things aren’t as different as we think from the past. Therefore we need to look to other variables. If you want to point at two variables that have changed the most with athletes 13-19 in the past 15-20 years look no further than nutrition and rest. It’s horrific how bad those two variables have changed. 😢

I still believe that fundamentally, the issue is more diet-related stretching back to how kids eat. Plus less outdoor activities due to gaming devices. Last time I suggested this, one person accused me of preaching, another misunderstood and thought I was talking about football players in college. It goes way back before that, all the way to childhood dietary habits and lack of outdoor activity. Both which have effect on bone and ligament development. For deniers, you need only to look at the diabetes epidemic and obese population (or number of bipedal whales at Neyland) and other ailments that used to be associated with post 40 -50-year-old folks but now show up with kids. Fats, salt, sugar, and now chemicalization of food is all working together to make us less than we once were. I was watching some vintage footage of WWI & WWII military, and construction people. It amazed how those skinny guys accomplish feats, I seriously question if many of our present GI Joes could do without casualties not inflicted by the enemy. Tough SOBs back then. Same can be said of football p[layers. Some played entire games or seasons with injuries that put today's players out of commission immediately. Back to the point, it's the diets that aren't conducive to sturdy bone, tendon, and ligament tissue development.

And here we go.
Preach brother PREACH

Preach brother PREACH

HMMM. A familiar dig. You the guy who boasted of putting me on ignore after accusing me to preaching, then 8/6/19 initiated a new account? Then there's the "Badger" moniker which makes it even more interesting.

Last edited:
Most injuries do not occur from a lack of stretching especially pre workout. Stretching after hard efforts is strongly encouraged. There are many factors resulting in injuries. Two in particular are evident. A lack of warming up and fatigue. Most injuries occur during fatigue. Others include micro injuries that are sub threshold meaning no pain symptoms yet and the athlete pushes it too far.

Reactions: tbones0711
It's nothing more than the curse. Don't know who we have to kill or what we have to do to end it, but I believe...the curse is real.

Reactions: BigBadVol
First thing, kids use to be outside more walking or running on eleven ground like mountains or at least hills. kids were constantly turning ankles, twisting knees, etc. Now all we walk on is level concrete or asphalt and our ankles, knees aren’t as strong.

May not have any affect at all, but in lifting, all the emphasis is muscles contracting to build them, while in football, baseball, basketball, just about any athletic event, the muscles are being stretched, totally opposite from lifting. I think the muscle memory has some part of the injuries. A good stretching program, along with the building program will help to a certain extent, but as has been mentioned, these players are getting bigger all the time so injuries are going to happen. Just my thoughts on it.

No amount of strengthening will help when you get rolled upon and that's where many knee injuries occur

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Tore my left ACL. Now (18 years later) the graft is wearing out and it causes slipping in the joint and Arthritis. Doc says when it goes, it will be time for a knee replacement.
Unfortunately, I’ll be in the same boat when I’m like 45 years old. Just gotta pray the graft goes as far as it can go.

Athletes have gotten to so big, so fast, so agile for their size, I have to wonder if we as humans are butting up against the absolute limits of what ligaments, tendons, etc., can handle in the form of force, torque, muscle development, etc. ?

As much a question of physics as medical? I know plenty of you know way more about this subject than I do and was just wondering what you would speculate?

It is true this happens. You have to develop the smaller muscles too. That said, Fitz is no slouch. You would think he understands this.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
Athletes have gotten to so big, so fast, so agile for their size, I have to wonder if we as humans are butting up against the absolute limits of what ligaments, tendons, etc., can handle in the form of force, torque, muscle development, etc. ?

As much a question of physics as medical? I know plenty of you know way more about this subject than I do and was just wondering what you would speculate?

I look at this as an engineer. When you add mass and muscle, you increase the weight on joints and you increase the body's ability to stress those joints because the person is able to move faster, change direction more quickly, and jump higher and farther while carrying more weight. It's not so different from taking a small car and dropping in a huge engine without doing anything to the drivetrain and suspension ... there's a lot more torque and power and something somewhere will give. It just doesn't seem responsible to think you can turn a 300 lb lineman into a 380 lb lineman or a 180 lb running back into a 240 lb running back without some negative consequences.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I dont think many athletes participate in a really good stretching routine.

I can't tell if it's sarcasm but I mean you gotta think a 200-350 pound guy running, cutting, and getting hit by other large men going full speed isn't really ideal.

VN Store

Back