So many ACL tears these days...are we running up against the physical limits of the human body?

It’s an interesting question. As athletes continually get bigger and stronger, some parts of their bodies do not. Not entirely sure about ligaments and tendons, but this issue comes up routinely regarding concussions. Players heads don’t get bigger, stronger, etc. But the hits to their heads are coming from athletes who are bigger, stronger, and faster everywhere else
Muscle's can grow obviously however tendons and ligaments are like rubber bands, the more they are stretched the more likely of a break due to tensile strength limitations. The force of a much stronger and heavier person is more likely to tear the tendon or ligament than someone who is lighter and weaker. Your tendons are built and made for your body size It takes a little longer to strengthen tendons and ligaments than it does muscles because they get less blood flow. ... It depends on your routine, but if you stick to your program, your tendons and ligaments should respond within a month or two.

Reactions: The Original Fade
Athletes have gotten to so big, so fast, so agile for their size, I have to wonder if we as humans are butting up against the absolute limits of what ligaments, tendons, etc., can handle in the form of force, torque, muscle development, etc. ?

As much a question of physics as medical? I know plenty of you know way more about this subject than I do and was just wondering what you would speculate?

I think you make a very good point and tend to agree with you. I think we are approaching the ceiling of what the human body can handle. I've often wondered if we'll ever get to a point where athletes will have preemptive procedures done to artificially strengthen their ligaments so as to make injuries like this less likely (if such a thing is even possible).

Athletes have gotten to so big, so fast, so agile for their size, I have to wonder if we as humans are butting up against the absolute limits of what ligaments, tendons, etc., can handle in the form of force, torque, muscle development, etc. ?

As much a question of physics as medical? I know plenty of you know way more about this subject than I do and was just wondering what you would speculate?

Now there's a future moneymaker, devise an effective adhesive based ligament that relieves stress and strain on internal ligaments.

It would also help those with torn ligaments to steady the knee and other joints. This would be a lot better and more practical than the bulky braces we now depend on.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
Clearly you think I’m someone else. Sorry. I’ve been posting as BadgerVol (live in WI) since going back you gridescape in 1996. I’ve moved from message board to message board for years. Heck I even private messaged the great TennStud and had a standing invite to one of his grand old parties if I ever got down from wisconsin. I live in Beaver Dam, my name is Hans and I’ve been in youth ministry for 18 years and graduated from UW-Oshkosh.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Clearly you think I’m someone else. Sorry. I’ve been posting as BadgerVol (live in WI) since going back you gridescape in 1996. I’ve moved from message board to message board for years. Heck I even private messaged the great TennStud and had a standing invite to one of his grand old parties if I ever got down from wisconsin. I live in Beaver Dam, my name is Hans and I’ve been in youth ministry for 18 years and graduated from UW-Oshkosh.

OK. I'm not above admitting I could be wrong. Not sure I am yet - but still could be.

OK. I'm not above admitting I could be wrong. Not sure I am yet - but still could be.
I appreciate the benefit of the doubt. And I appreciate you might still be leery. i’ll Prove it over time. 👍🏻 There might be someone on here with my name because I wanted BadgerVol and it said I couldn’t but let me do it with an “!” 🤷🏻‍♂️ I was bummed cuz I’m also a huge IU basketball fan (NOT a Badger fan AT ALL, just live here) and I use this moniker there also. It’s just stuck I guess.

I appreciate the benefit of the doubt. And I appreciate you might still be leery. i’ll Prove it over time. 👍🏻 There might be someone on here with my name because I wanted BadgerVol and it said I couldn’t but let me do it with an “!” 🤷🏻‍♂️ I was bummed cuz I’m also a huge IU basketball fan (NOT a Badger fan AT ALL, just live here) and I use this moniker there also. It’s just stuck I guess.

Let's forget it. You aren't obligated to prove anything to me. Besides, IF you are him, his trademark posts will show up sooner or later. For the nonce, forget it. Go Vols.

Reactions: BadgerVol!
He's a "chiropractor", dude. Pay no mind to the pretend doctor.

I am not a chiropractor but was an athlete. Just old now. If he was trying to do heart surgery then I would agree. But a well trained and knowledgeable chiropractor is heaven sent to keep you going and playing with the things they are trained to assist in. You can just continue being ignorant and rude.

VN Store

Back