So is there anything to even be excited about this fall?

From CFN. Best case seems pretty agressive.

Best Case Scenario: 10-2. Even if Tennessee are able to rock and roll right away under Heupel, assume a loss to Alabama and, at best, a split with Georgia and Florida. There isn’t another game on the slate the team can’t or shouldn’t win, including the non-conference date with Pitt.

Worst Case Scenario: 5-7.The Vols are bad out of the gate. Even if they’re struggling, they’ll be 2-1 – they’re not losing to Bowling Green or Tennessee Tech – and then things fall off a cliff with four losses in the next five before getting a week off. Even in a worse case scenario, though, the Vols will have to work really, really hard to not win six games.

Full story - 2021 Tennessee Volunteers Football Schedule: Analysis, Best and Worst Case Scenarios

It seems like the Football program is a train wreck right now.

This isn't a dig at the coach or players (what players we have retained) as the issues pre-date them. I just don't see Tennessee capable of fielding a very good team with so many defections and impending sanctions. This program is a real mess right now and it is going to be hard to watch or enjoy them as a fan.

Look at the schedule. There are 6 wins in there, maybe 7, even given the current situation. The 4 OOC games are wins...look at them. There are at least 2 or 3 conference wins out of the 8 games also, 6-7 wins should happen, not even including a potential bowl game which we dont know if it would be allowed even if qualified for.

The offense will make some noise, should be fun to watch, this staff always makes things happen on offense.

Look at the schedule. There are 6 wins in there, maybe 7, even given the current situation. The 4 OOC games are wins...look at them. There are at least 2 or 3 conference wins out of the 8 games also, 6-7 wins should happen, not even including a potential bowl game which we dont know if it would be allowed even if qualified for.

The offense will make some noise, should be fun to watch, this staff always makes things happen on offense.
This is good conventional wisdom. The unknown is whether we have the dudes to make CJH's offense go. That means talent and smarts. If the answer turns out be no, that's where the 3-9 possibility creeps in.

You are likely overestimating Pitt. They are a middling ACC team at best. I don't believe they had a win last year against a team with a winning record. They play "good" D and safe O.... pretty much the Pruitt philosophy. UT will physically be a better team. Style of play favors UT as well.

Mizzou got hot... kinda, sorta...the 2nd half of the season. I also believe they lose most of their secondary and a good chunk of their most productive DL's. Their last two games were blow out losses to UGA and MSU. It wasn't nearly as rosy as some paint it. Definitely a winnable game.

USCe is worse off than UT roster wise. They appear to have more questions at QB than UT. Maybe less on D. Again... coaching.

Unless the season is a total collapse and Heupel is awful... I think UT will beat UK. Style of play will be the difference. I don't see UK transitioning to an O that wants to get into a track meet. Two of their top 3 rushers are gone. They didn't have a significant passing attack but two of their top 3 receivers are gone too. Gatewood appears to be set to step in after not being able to beat Terry Wilson out last year. I could be wrong but I think they will still be a run first team. If UT can score lots of points and pressure them out of running then it gets really good for the Vols.

SC is in a major rebuild as well, but they do return 4/5 of their very good OL and RB that led the conference in rushing, plus they have the 5star RB freshman coming off his injury. They will be able to run the ball. They don’t have WR’s, but return a very good catching TE and also the QB that ended the season as their starter, so they are ok there if they find a few WR.

On defense, they have most of their DL returning, which includes several 4-5 star types. Like UT, they have many questions at LB and secondary, so big unknown on defense outside of the DL, just like UT. Probably a push between these two teams tbh.

Wait, we're arguing now that recruiting was Dooley's strength? The same Dooley who HS coaches said never came for visits? The same Dooley who signed zero OL in his last class?
I guess that depends on who you are comparing him to...he's landed a heck of a lot more 5 and 4 stars than Heupel ever has.

I guess that depends on who you are comparing him to...he's landed a heck of a lot more 5 and 4 stars than Heupel ever has.
All at Tennessee. Compare their relative recruiting success at Louisiana Tech vs UCF whilst waiting for a comparative sample at Tennessee.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner

This isn't a dig at the coach or players (what players we have retained) as the issues pre-date them. I just don't see Tennessee capable of fielding a very good team with so many defections and impending sanctions. This program is a real mess right now and it is going to be hard to watch or enjoy them as a fan.
If you have a hard time watching and enjoying Tennessee football go root for a team like Alabama,Georgia,Florida,North Carolina or Clemson

982028D3-518B-46B3-963D-D0A118D004D5.jpeg

Reactions: GameTime
The last several years I have been accused preseason of being too pessimistic about our record and each year it turns out I was actually too optimistic. Here's hoping that trend reverses. I say 5 or 6 wins.

Reactions: vettefool

Tennessee football, next.

Not for you if you're asking the question.

I'm excited for the players that are working their ass off for UT. Yes I want to win all games.. But it's deeper than that for me.. Those players on the field want to win also and are working hard.. You or I aren't.. I have seen thses.. Are you excited thread come up about every month.. Yes I am.. And will always be..

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Geeze, the negativity here is toxic. I'm not saying the Vols will go undefeated or win the division, but there is clearly talent on this team and being third place in the East should be a reasonable expectation.
I'm also not getting the negativity about the defense. We don't know how good our defensive staff is yet. We might end up having a decent defense.

Geeze, the negativity here is toxic. I'm not saying the Vols will go undefeated or win the division, but there is clearly talent on this team and being third place in the East should be a reasonable expectation.
I'm also not getting the negativity about the defense. We don't know how good our defensive staff is yet. We might end up having a decent defense.
As to the defense, we currently have 4 scholarship linebackers, and 1 of them we originally signed as a long snapper.

From CFN. Best case seems pretty agressive.

Best Case Scenario: 10-2. Even if Tennessee are able to rock and roll right away under Heupel, assume a loss to Alabama and, at best, a split with Georgia and Florida. There isn’t another game on the slate the team can’t or shouldn’t win, including the non-conference date with Pitt.

Worst Case Scenario: 5-7.The Vols are bad out of the gate. Even if they’re struggling, they’ll be 2-1 – they’re not losing to Bowling Green or Tennessee Tech – and then things fall off a cliff with four losses in the next five before getting a week off. Even in a worse case scenario, though, the Vols will have to work really, really hard to not win six games.

Full story - 2021 Tennessee Volunteers Football Schedule: Analysis, Best and Worst Case Scenarios
Lololol

I’d say it’s going to at least be entertaining offensively. I’m afraid we’re going to see more than a few 45-31 type losses, but at least the era of tractor pull offense is likely over.

I'd take that loss against a FL, GA or AL.....and maybe some others. Itd mean TN is decently good on one side of the ball....and can have a 4ecruiting angle or two.

5 wins. 6 if we get fortunate. Will score some flashy points against the lesser teams on the schedule which will make things seem better. In reality the better teams will probably dominate us even more. We will be the recipient of some curb stomps.

Hunting Season. It is my medicine. It gets me through the fall when our football season goes off of the rails.

So here is the schedule and my predictions.

9/4/2021 Bowling Green: Win - Should be a win but you never know. Bowling Green isn't a bad program. Not an easy opener for a program that is struggling

9/11/2021 Pittsburgh: Likely a loss. Pittsburgh has issues as well so should at least be close game

9/18/2021 Tennessee Tech: Win Even with our issues, this will still be a blowout.

9/25/2021 @ Florida: Loss. I don't expect this to be close.

10/2/2021 @ Missouri: Loss. Missouri got hot the second half of the season.

10/9/2021 South Carolina: Toss-Up. I really cannot predict this one. Both teams have major issues. They are pretty much in the same spot right now. It might come down to luck.

10/16/2021 Ole Miss: Loss. I really hated to write that as I would love to see us take it to Kiffin.

10/23/2021 @ Alabama: Loss. Why do we even play this series anymore? It is an annual beat down every year.

11/06/2021 @ Kentucky: Loss. I don't see us beating them but you never know. Kentucky struggles on offense. This could be a potential upset.

11/13/2021 Georgia: Loss. It won't be close.

11/20/2021 South Alabama: Win. I don't see us losing this one but you never know after we lost at home to Georgia State.

11/27/2021 Vanderbilt: Win. Vandy has far more issues than Tennessee right now. I wouldn't underestimate them but I think Tennessee beats them.

4-7-1. The season will come down to the games against Bowling Green, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy. If we can beat all 5 of them, Heupel deserves a raise.
You know you are awful when you consider a team like bowling green, who lost EVERY game last year, not an easy opener.

VN Store

Back