Smokey Grey question....

Gray was cool for a bit. Making it a permanent school color was dumb. Time to move on from it.

The uniforms that were recently on twitter are not necessarily the new uniforms. I could easily see us going back to the double stripe or solid pants and classic helmet stripe.

You do realize the gray has always been a school color correct? You are also aware that we wore grey WAY before we wore orange?
But I bet your one of those that wants to chear for the Big Orange while they wear all white unis.

It is important to recognize the distinction between official school colors and the early tendency by Tennessee and many other universities to wear neutral colors (gray, black, tan, etc.) as a base uniform color, with official colors then employed as accents. In any event, as a matter of historical fact, orange and white have been UT’s official colors since the inception of the football program:

“Tennessee's orange and white colors were selected by Charles Moore, a member of the university's first football team in 1891. They were later approved by a student body vote. The colors were those of the common American daisy, a flower that grew prominently on The Hill, the area of campus that surrounds iconic Ayres Hall and overlooks Neyland Stadium.

Tennessee football players did not wear orange jerseys until the season-opening game in 1922. Coach M.B. Banks' Vols christened the orange jerseys on Sept. 23, 1922 with a 50-0 victory over Emory and Henry” (University of Tennessee Athletics).

Even contemporary “fuzzy” math does not change the fact that almost 96 years of continuous use have transpired since we first donned the orange and white. That period far surpasses the length of time during which black or gray jerseys were first worn by our football team.

Reactions: 7 people
Also if a recruit wants to go to UT, it might be his only chance to wear the grey... Plus outside of Tennessee football, Tennessee orange ( or close to it ) and grey are a cool color scheme that lots of folks like. As for me.... white tops, and orange bottoms seem to be coming back............. YES!!

Hopefully we never see the greys again in my lifetime...They were horrible looking...The worse day in UT football history we checker boarded neyland in orange and white and wore the ugly grey uniforms..That was just embarrassing..If kids are looking at the color of the uniforms and wanting grey in order to come here then go somewhere else...We are TENNESSEE and we wear Orange and White!

Reactions: 1 person
Please don't yell at me....I am only asking because I haven't followed closely on here for a month or so. It seemed that CJP indicated we wouldn't be wearing the smokey greys anymore. Everyone has an opinion I am sure....but that isn't the point of the post.

I have seen SEVERAL of our recruits posing for pics on Twitter with the smokey greys on. If we are getting rid of them....why are we allowing recruits to get hyped about them.

Again....maybe I missed something in the last month

Recruits love them, so they'll continue to roll them out there on recruiting visits. And they'll probably still be sold in stores, they're quite popular at the cash register.

But on-field they will not be worn for football next season or the season after. They have approved a two-year plan for an alternate look, and it's not Smokey Grey.

You do realize the gray has always been a school color correct? You are also aware that we wore grey WAY before we wore orange?
But I bet your one of those that wants to chear for the Big Orange while they wear all white unis.

Must have struck a nerve lmao

Vol fans will literally cry about anything... even over wearing an alternate uniform 1-2 per year.

Smokey Grey is fine once every two years worn @ home against Georgia. I'd also like a black uniform against South Carolina. That's enough splash for me while maintaining the Tennessee tradition as much as possible.

Recruits love them, so they'll continue to roll them out there on recruiting visits. And they'll probably still be sold in stores, they're quite popular at the cash register.

But on-field they will not be worn for football next season or the season after. They have approved a two-year plan for an alternate look, and it's not Smokey Grey.

Good, hope its orange/orange.

apparently, they're still available, but, only for recruits on visits...no use wasting them when they can be put to good use...:)

GO VOLS!

It seems like uniform variations can be implemented for a variety of reasons:

- bring a some new energy to a stagnant program
- a surge in revenue $$$, everyone has the legacy jerseys and hats...need to create some new cash flow...
- give vol nation something to debate

I think going old school or coming up with some new/old combo's would be fun but I'm much more interested in establishing a winning program.

Good well planned aggressive coaching, hard work by the whole team, strong fundamentals, discipline, consistent execution, no excuses.

I'll wear what they're wearing...

Saw a pic the other day of a cruit with the orange pants and grey jersey n it looked sharp. Only needed a grey stripe down the pants to complete the look.

The only thing gray about this program is the way they have played lately. FORGET THE GRAY!!! For most of its history orange and white have been the colors of this school. If that bothers some folks then let them find a school who has gray as one of their colors and root for them. The long time traditional big boys have not change their colors or style much if at all. (ND,Mich, Oh St., Tenn, Ala, USC, Penn St., and many others) That's one reason why these schools are considered to be the flag barriers of college football year in and year out.

That was when there were 2 colors on the color wheel...black and white. :loco:

I never knew this! Have be a follower of my state school sense the late 40's (little too young before that) and don't remember ever seeing gray. Have my father's year books from the 30's (he was band Capt) and don't remember seeing gray. (however most pics in those books are B&W) For information, where could I find something about this "gray" past?

Coach is handing out all the old Smokey grey uniforms to recruits he hopes don't pick UT...lol

Word is that the athletic department is working on disposing of them but there is only one truck on the entire planet that is capable of transporting that amount of gray/grey dye at once. ETA October 2024.

Grays, orange pants etc.. I don`t give a **** what they wear. Oh yea, checkerboards suck too.
Just win some damn games.
Years of gimmicks and losses. Sick of it all.

VN Store

Back