Smokey Grey question....

Please don't yell at me....I am only asking because I haven't followed closely on here for a month or so. It seemed that CJP indicated we wouldn't be wearing the smokey greys anymore. Everyone has an opinion I am sure....but that isn't the point of the post.

I have seen SEVERAL of our recruits posing for pics on Twitter with the smokey greys on. If we are getting rid of them....why are we allowing recruits to get hyped about them.

Again....maybe I missed something in the last month

Leftovers? plenty to give away?

Maybe we can replace grey with Black. I really liked those Halloween Colors we wore during Kiffen year against SCAR, homecoming I think.

We came out in regular unis and then after warm ups came out wearing the Black and Orange and the team was hyped up and upset SCAR. Spanked um good.

That MH spin move for a TD and Janzen Jackson forced fumble! Good memories!

It is important to recognize the distinction between official school colors and the early tendency by Tennessee and many other universities to wear neutral colors (gray, black, tan, etc.) as a base uniform color, with official colors then employed as accents. In any event, as a matter of historical fact, orange and white have been UT’s official colors since the inception of the football program:

“Tennessee's orange and white colors were selected by Charles Moore, a member of the university's first football team in 1891. They were later approved by a student body vote. The colors were those of the common American daisy, a flower that grew prominently on The Hill, the area of campus that surrounds iconic Ayres Hall and overlooks Neyland Stadium.

Tennessee football players did not wear orange jerseys until the season-opening game in 1922. Coach M.B. Banks' Vols christened the orange jerseys on Sept. 23, 1922 with a 50-0 victory over Emory and Henry” (University of Tennessee Athletics).

Even contemporary “fuzzy” math does not change the fact that almost 96 years of continuous use have transpired since we first donned the orange and white. That period far surpasses the length of time during which black or gray jerseys were first worn by our football team.

Exactly. Alabama wore khaki outfits at the dawn of football; no one is claiming khaki as a Bammer school color. And damn that online UT color palette to a flaming hell. Some graphic arts decorator in the basement of the Communications Building just made that up a few years ago.

Reactions: 1 person
It is important to recognize the distinction between official school colors and the early tendency by Tennessee and many other universities to wear neutral colors (gray, black, tan, etc.) as a base uniform color, with official colors then employed as accents. In any event, as a matter of historical fact, orange and white have been UT’s official colors since the inception of the football program:

“Tennessee's orange and white colors were selected by Charles Moore, a member of the university's first football team in 1891. They were later approved by a student body vote. The colors were those of the common American daisy, a flower that grew prominently on The Hill, the area of campus that surrounds iconic Ayres Hall and overlooks Neyland Stadium.

Tennessee football players did not wear orange jerseys until the season-opening game in 1922. Coach M.B. Banks' Vols christened the orange jerseys on Sept. 23, 1922 with a 50-0 victory over Emory and Henry” (University of Tennessee Athletics).

Even contemporary “fuzzy” math does not change the fact that almost 96 years of continuous use have transpired since we first donned the orange and white. That period far surpasses the length of time during which black or gray jerseys were first worn by our football team.

Very nicely written. Others in this thread would do well to read it in lieu of clinging to their self-manufactured history.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back