Simple solution to a perplexing problem?

sjt18

I haven't gone back through the videos but it seems that Dobbs doesn't run much in the 1st half.

IMHO, that could be all there is to the "slow starts". Just call the read option early, put the opposing D on their heels, then run the rest of the game plan.

Reactions: 7 people
I haven't gone back through the videos but it seems that Dobbs doesn't run much in the 1st half.

IMHO, that could be all there is to the "slow starts". Just call the read option early, put the opposing D on their heels, then run the rest of the game plan.

I've noticed this myself. He almost always seems to makes something out of nothing when he does have to run in he first half. That TD right before half Saturday was a beauty.

Also, I want to say that it appears even when he's toting the mail it seems Dobbs is just jogging. Like he's not even trying to run hard. That's true speed IMO. Reminds me of Chris Johnson with the Titans, when he was CJ2K

Reactions: 1 person
I agree! When he starts scrambling it opens up the passing lanes!

Dobbs is one of the most deceptively fast guys I've ever seen. Everything looks like he's gliding.

Reactions: 3 people
Just checked. For the year, Dobbs has (including sacks):

- minus 2 yds on 11 attempts in the 1st quarter,
- 93 on 18 attempts in the 2nd,
- 74 on 22 attempts in the 3rd,
- and 94 on just 12 attempts in the 4th.

I believe around 40 of those 2nd qtr yds came in the closing drivers vs UF and UGA.

Reactions: 3 people
Dobbs is one of the most deceptively fast guys I've ever seen. Everything looks like he's gliding.
agreed. i am so surprised sometimes that he's able to turn the corner, yet when he does it, it looks effortless. he out runs good angles, which is awesome.

I've wondered about this, and the lack of tackling. When Dobbs runs, this offense is hard to stop. I understand trying to strip the ball, but our guys were giving them big yards going for the ball instead of trying to tackle.

The strategy is genius, really. Make our offense look inept for the entire first half so that at halftime, the other team doesn't make any adjustments on D. Then BOOM, our real O shows up for the 3rd and 4th and rattles the other team.

Or we could use last years strategy of coming out fast, blowing open a huge lead, go in to halftime and make no adjustments, come out and play safe, get rattled when the other team scores, and lose in the 4th.

Hmm..

The strategy is genius, really. Make our offense look inept for the entire first half so that at halftime, the other team doesn't make any adjustments on D. Then BOOM, our real O shows up for the 3rd and 4th and rattles the other team.

Or we could use last years strategy of coming out fast, blowing open a huge lead, go in to halftime and make no adjustments, come out and play safe, get rattled when the other team scores, and lose in the 4th.

Hmm..

We pace ourselves

Just checked. For the year, Dobbs has (including sacks):

- minus 2 yds on 11 attempts in the 1st quarter,
- 93 on 18 attempts in the 2nd,
- 74 on 22 attempts in the 3rd,
- and 94 on just 12 attempts in the 4th.

I believe around 40 of those 2nd qtr yds came in the closing drivers vs UF and UGA.

and i think the lions share of the carries and yards in the 2nd qtr came in the VT game?

to your point, i think you're right, but i think it's deliberate. a) they want to keep him fresh for later in the game, no one wants their QB getting hit 20 times a game, on a regular basis. b) i think they may be testing the defense looking for match ups they think they can exploit from the tape. that's just a complete guess....but in my mind it makes sense.

that 3rd and 15 he picked up against UGA blew my mind. Looked like he was moving fast enough to pick up about 4 yards and then bam, first down.

Reactions: 2 people

Let me give you my opinion. It's cbj's philosophy to be and stay conservative until you force him to do otherwise. He wants to run the ball and use play action as much and as long as possible, utilize safe passes ( wr screens and rb to the flats we love so much ), only utilize the full pass game on 3rd and obvious pass downs, play sound defense, and utilize special teams. To sum all this up, he believes our discipline and conservative play call execution is better than the opposing teams discipline and execution ( wether conservative or aggressive ). He wants to first test the opposing team and see if they will ( through penalties and turnovers ) give the game away. He only opens up the offense ( mainly by opening up the passing game, you know, throwing on first and second down - non play action ) if we get behind. As soon as we get the lead or within 3, he tends to go back conservative offensively, lean on the defense and special teams, and test the opposing team to see if they will give the game away through turnovers and penalties.

It's a very conservative philosophy, but so far so good in his tenure here.

Go Vols!

Well I'm starting to wonder if the slow starts are beneficial in helping up feel out the other team better.

There is an old saying in football. Most games are lost, not won. Cbj believes in this whole heartedly

It's pretty amazing. Everyone knows at this point that you can't arm tackle him and that he's much faster than he looks, and yet every week we see him truck through and outrun defenders.

Hmm..

Or.... get up big, keep the pedal down, and beat teams like the talent on this team says you should....

Reactions: 2 people
... or something else, as hinted by ESPN Insider??

Not having the backing of sports media elites for the last two decades pretty much spells out that Team 120 will continue to be questioned - and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!

Like almost any championship team, nega-articles posted on a teams bulletin board are used to motivate and rally the troops, and I pray that the media continues to provide us with the fire to keep winning and, silencing the critics.

This year is eerily reminding me of 1998, which saw a last second field goal in the Carrier Dome and football placed on the ground by an Arkansas QB - which were both miracles in their own right, so yes, team 120 just "might also be" a team of Destiny. Go Vols!

(ooops, this was meant to be a new thread. Morning morning started at 2am today!)

Last edited:
Our last series before the throw we ran Kamara 3 times in to the pile. You have to get a first down to keep running the clock out.

My question is with the Georgia DEs biting and crashing on Kamara why doesn't Dobbs keep and take off? That is the definition of zone read.

Our last series before the throw we ran Kamara 3 times in to the pile. You have to get a first down to keep running the clock out.

My question is with the Georgia DEs biting and crashing on Kamara why doesn't Dobbs keep and take off? That is the definition of zone read.
yep. we don't have to throw. our offense is designed on misdirection and deception, to put guys on defense in the wrong spot. honestly i don't want them to throw, CBJ is right in the thinking, i just think, like you, there's other, more creative ways we can run high % plays, and accomplish the goal of burning TO's and put yourself in position to get a 1st down and stop all the drama!!!:p

even if he only gets 4, 5,6, yards, a)it runs more time off the clock and b) puts you in a much more manageable 2nd and/or 3rd down.

and i think the lions share of the carries and yards in the 2nd qtr came in the VT game?

to your point, i think you're right, but i think it's deliberate. a) they want to keep him fresh for later in the game, no one wants their QB getting hit 20 times a game, on a regular basis. b) i think they may be testing the defense looking for match ups they think they can exploit from the tape. that's just a complete guess....but in my mind it makes sense.

Not bashing you but rather that idea if its what they're doing.... It would make more sense if it was working.

With Dobbs at QB, everything seems to flow from his ability to run on designed runs.

The rpo stuff and PA they're trying doesn't work unless Dobbs is a threat to run.

I need to look more but has anyone else noticed this? It seems that UT's OL doesn't even try to drive DL's down field. Maybe they can't.... but schematically, that's also something a team does when they want a pass option on every play. IIRC, Kerbyson suggested something like that not long ago in an interview.

Not bashing you but rather that idea if its what they're doing.... It would make more sense if it was working.

With Dobbs at QB, everything seems to flow from his ability to run on designed runs.

The rpo stuff and PA they're trying doesn't work unless Dobbs is a threat to run.

agreed, that's why it's a guess. otherwise, aside from the saving him from so many hits, you'd have to think they'd implement the zone read more often.

i do think there's something to the offensive game plan to start the game. i do think they have a script of sorts.

but really, i can't explain it. just throwing darts. cause you're right, this offense doesn't take off until he becomes a legit threat.

That's the same kind of stuff that cost UT the UF game last year. A quick hitter to the TE in the middle ends the game in that situation as well. A max protect fade with Jennings or Malone against a DB on an island make sense too.... even if picked... you've basically punted.

I need to look more but has anyone else noticed this? It seems that UT's OL doesn't even try to drive DL's down field. Maybe they can't.... but schematically, that's also something a team does when they want a pass option on every play. IIRC, Kerbyson suggested something like that not long ago in an interview.

yes, and that's why Kamara and Hurd seem to be hit at or behind the LOS almost every play. there's zero drive off the ball.

VN Store

Back