Sick of this crap

Originally posted by holdemvol@Sep 20, 2005 3:05 PM
I agree that          falls ultimately on the shoulders of the coaching staff, and of course I would like to see our talent better utilized.  I just don't think you can justify coaching changes with our win record.  It would be great if we scored 70 ppg but I would bet that if you go on any fan board of any team you will here about how some coach sucks.  I think maybe UT fans are spoiled because of the success we have had and need to come to the realization that this coaching staff has done a better job than any other since Fulmer took over.  No coaching staff is perfect, there will always be strengths and weaknesses.  My problem much like jwells is that anytime ANYTHING does not go our way there are an amazing number of posters calling for Randy Sanders' head.  Yesterday for instance I read on this board that the special teams errors saturday were RS fault because "his offense broke down...special teams should not have had to kick"  Now how ridiculous is that?  Special teams should never have to play?  If you go back and watch the games most of the games we lost have been because of lack of execution        and stupid mistakes.  I do realize that this is in the end the responsibility of the coaching staff, but that ends with Fulmer, not Sanders.  Anyone who wants Fulmer gone needs thier head examined, and while there are not as many Fulmer bashers on here as Sanders bashers there are more than enough.  Someone made a good example out of Nebraska on another thread...they let a winning coach go and look where they are now....a joke.  I am just tired of win or lose hearing about how our coaching sucks.  There are some on this very board who even if we hang up 60 on LSU will still find a reason to start a "fire Sanders" thread.  I guess it just gets old.
[snapback]147688[/snapback]​

I think that there is truth on both sides of the argument. The reason that most people complain, including myself, after two poor performances is because of what we have been hearing.

In the past when the offense has underperformed it has BASICALLY been blamed on a shortage of talent. Now the offense is supposedly loaded with talent, and perception is that is still underachieving. This coupled with the fact that other OCs and HCs (Ky when Mumme was there, Louisville along with other examples have done more with arguably less talent due to scheme) leads the fire RS group believe that the Vols are in a pattern of mediocirity. We should be better than our 107th ranked offense in the country. When you have the Vols talent, and see what other coaches are doing with their talent it leads us to believe that replacing RS would make us NC contenders much more consitently, and attract much greater talent.

Originally posted by GAVol@Sep 20, 2005 2:28 PM
You're exactly right . . . and I sure don't mean to say that anybody is stupid for calling for a coaching change.

I'm not talking about people making logical arguments about overall performances, I'm talking more about the people who call for an assistant's job every time ANYTHING negative happens.  I'm talking about the people who sit in the stadium and start screaming about firing a secondary coach every time a pass is completed.
[snapback]147662[/snapback]​

Just to clarify as well, I wasn't directing my comments at your post GA but rather the tone through the thread suggesting that it's simplistic to blame coaching but not so to blame execution :peace2:

Up until last year, I think there was a lack of talent for a couple of years. I have never said Sanders playcalling was great, only that if you look back the gameplan almost always works when properly executed. Pretty? No, but effective. I just feel that lack of executionand overall offensive scheme in the end are the responsibility of Fulmer, and Sanders always seems to get the blame. John Chavis never took heat like this when his pass defense was the worst in the conference last year. I just firmly believe that lack of execution and miscommunication are to blame for the offensive woes this year, not playcalling. We have tried to throw the ball deep both games this year and not been able to connect but all I hear is that we never throw deep. I guess I just feel that the blame should be spread a bit more, and while we may not have the best OC we do have a staff that wins. The fact is that Sanders will probably be around for a while unless Fulmer is out too, and I think if we lose Fulmer we will all learn the hard way how valuable he is. This offense stinks right now, but lets give it a few games under ONE QB and see where it gets. This unit has the talent to take the short passes and dump offs and turn them in to something big, so let's just see what happens. If we can actually complete a pass.

Originally posted by jwells@Sep 20, 2005 1:15 PM
I'm really getting sick of a lot of so-called "UT Fans." Everytime something bad happens, all of a sudden it's time to fire everyone.

Going 10-3 isn't good enough for you all...hell anything less than a NC ring, you want someone's head. OU just came off a NC game, now they're 1-2, coming off a loss to unranked UCLA...would you all like that? I mean, is it worth it to go to the big game..and then suck really bad right after? I don't think so. I'll take the 10-3 season, with a Cotton Bowl victory.

I think some people really need a reality check. It's almost impossible to win as many games as we do, in the conference we're in. Hell, SOMEONE has to win the game each week, and sometimes it's the opponent! We lost to Florida because of some mistakes. And, even through that...Fulmer has the best winning percentage in college football for an active coach..but, that's not good enough...let's fire his ass!

While i'm on the subject, a lot of these people calling for firing Fulmer, Sanders, etc.. really don't understand the game of football. You all want some new exciting game plan..well, Florida supposedly has that...where did that get them? A lucky win and 275 yards total offense??

Spurrier has that exciting offense and he's 1-2.
Boise State has it...they are getting blown out of the water.

The issue here is not the offense, it is execution. Our players are not stepping up to the plate, to their full potential and making the plays. That's the difference. The talent is there, the coaching is there...sometimes these guys look unstoppable..but they jsut can't connect. That TD drive by Ainge last week looked VERY impressive. We just didn't do it again, kept shooting ourselves in the foot. When you're backed up in bad field position, its hard to take the chance on the big play..because there is NO CONSOLATION if it doesn't work. If you have to punt, or its intercepted, you've just put the opponent in a very good position to score. Our last drive was looking good, until the ball was thrown by Ainge's feet 15yards back. That isn't coaching. That's a bad snap.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I'd rather have 50,000 fans come to each game that TRULY love the team, than 100,000 people, with half being you fair-weather fans.  :twocents:
[snapback]147589[/snapback]​

:clapping:

I believe it was Will Overstreet that said once "we could win a game 100-0 and Tennessee fans would still find a reason to complain."

Originally posted by zizou@Sep 20, 2005 4:21 PM
I believe it was Will Overstreet that said once "we could win a game 100-0 and Tennessee fans would still find a reason to complain."
[snapback]147752[/snapback]​

They would probably also complain about 7 points and 213 total yards of offense huh?

If Norm Chow had our offense, we would be 2-0, ranked #2 in the country, and only a couple months away from playing his ex-team for the NC.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. Oh wait I got it. What if Buddy Ryan coached our defense? or Bill Cowher coached our special teams or Kinkos provided large print copies of the play book for the players.

Originally posted by jwells@Sep 20, 2005 12:15 PM
I'm really getting sick of a lot of so-called "UT Fans." Everytime something bad happens, all of a sudden it's time to fire everyone.

Going 10-3 isn't good enough for you all...hell anything less than a NC ring, you want someone's head. OU just came off a NC game, now they're 1-2, coming off a loss to unranked UCLA...would you all like that? I mean, is it worth it to go to the big game..and then suck really bad right after? I don't think so. I'll take the 10-3 season, with a Cotton Bowl victory.

I think some people really need a reality check. It's almost impossible to win as many games as we do, in the conference we're in. Hell, SOMEONE has to win the game each week, and sometimes it's the opponent! We lost to Florida because of some mistakes. And, even through that...Fulmer has the best winning percentage in college football for an active coach..but, that's not good enough...let's fire his ass!

While i'm on the subject, a lot of these people calling for firing Fulmer, Sanders, etc.. really don't understand the game of football. You all want some new exciting game plan..well, Florida supposedly has that...where did that get them? A lucky win and 275 yards total offense??

The issue here is not the offense, it is execution. Our players are not stepping up to the plate, to their full potential and making the plays. That's the difference. The talent is there, the coaching is there...sometimes these guys look unstoppable..but they jsut can't connect. That TD drive by Ainge last week looked VERY impressive. We just didn't do it again, kept shooting ourselves in the foot. When you're backed up in bad field position, its hard to take the chance on the big play..because there is NO CONSOLATION if it doesn't work. If you have to punt, or its intercepted, you've just put the opponent in a very good position to score. Our last drive was looking good, until the ball was thrown by Ainge's feet 15yards back. That isn't coaching. That's a bad snap.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I'd rather have 50,000 fans come to each game that TRULY love the team, than 100,000 people, with half being you fair-weather fans.  :twocents:

Amen brother, Amen

Being a fairweather fan, means you only support your team when it wins.

Yep, and when they start losing they simply go away, or jump on another bandwagon... hey what's this? Vandy has a bandwagon too? I think I'll ride on it for a while.

:biggrin2:

The reason everyone is so upset is because we all anticipated handing Urban Meyer his head in his first SEC game. What hurts the most (and we all saw it) is that we could have done that easily had we continued to play the game that was working for us (pounding it out around the left tackle) instead of running away scared anticipating thier adjustments would stop us. I'm sick and tired of us stopping ourselves before we have been stopped. We could have demoralized them if we continued to pound that left side. But NOOOOO, ..they MIGHT stop us. That's not Tennessee football. In chess, a move by the opponent stops you, in Tennessee football a move by the opponent gets the opponent knocked on his A$$. We didn't lose this game because Fla was better. Tennessee was the best team on the field.We lost it because Sanders has more faith in his x's and o's than in his players. Urban Meyer and the gators did not stop us, Randy Sanders did...COWARD!...go twirl a baton!

I'm as much for positivity (I might have made that one up, but you get the meaning) as the next feller', but when one of your star wideouts says, "We couldn't score on my middle school team." It's time to take notice and do something.

We had the talent to go all the way this year and we've barely beaten a solid mid-major and got embarrassed offensively by what I believe will be a middle of the pack SEC defense by season's end. No offense Gators, but I don't think that game was an indication of your defensive might as much as an indictment of our offensive impotence.

So, if it's treason to question what got us in this predicament, with what I believe is the most talent ever assembled on The Hill, then shoot me at sunrise. I won't even ask for a mask.

Originally posted by OldVol@Sep 21, 2005 11:03 AM
I'm as much for positivity (I might have made that one up, but you get the meaning) as the next feller', but when one of your star wideouts says, "We couldn't score on my middle school team." It's time to take notice and do something.

We had the talent to go all the way this year and we've barely beaten a solid mid-major and got embarrassed offensively by what I believe will be a middle of the pack SEC defense by season's end. No offense Gators, but I don't think that game was an indication of your defensive might as much as an indictment of our offensive impotence.

So, if it's treason to question what got us in this predicament, with what I believe is the most talent ever assembled on The Hill, then shoot me at sunrise. I won't even ask for a mask.
[snapback]148063[/snapback]​

Need I say more?

Originally posted by OldVol@Sep 21, 2005 12:03 PM

[snapback]148063[/snapback]​

I agree. When one of the starters says that the offense stinks, its hard to argue with him, he knows the offense better then 99.99% of the people on this board.

I think Ga beats Florida. Meyers's offense is going to have a lot of problems in the SEC. SEC defenses are too fast for a lot of his plays, they wont work at this level. Tennessee showed that Saturday night.

I dont think there are many if any fair weather fans, who make it too a UT website and message board. Fair weather fans never make it here in the first place. Everyone here is pretty much die hard UT fans.

Originally posted by jwells@Sep 20, 2005 12:15 PM

It's not a matter of being fair weather fans. The facts are over the last 7 years that I can remember we cant seem to stop people on 3rd and long. Our coaches "oh golly gee whiz we lost a tough game" attitude is for the birds..It's time to put the fear of riding the pine to some of these guys and maybe the olay blocks will stop, and people will wrap up when they tackle instead of just trying to blow someone off their feet....fundamentals are the coaches responsibility...and at Florida this team fundamentally broke down.........

VN Store

Back