Sick and Tired of losing to Florida

Tennessee seems to have more trouble with Georgia than Flordia these days. The UT-Fla series is 3-3 the past 6 seasons. It's become a lot more competetive than the late 90s.

Do you attribute that to the Vols being better, or to the Gators being worse?

Now that I've had nearly a week to absorb yet another loss to Florida, it still makes me sick.

I hate Florida.

What I hate more is that we're always trying to find what went wrong after we lose to them. As if we're surprised by things that should have been noticed by those 15 or so highly paid coaches beforehand. They had spring practice, fall practice and we've always had at least one game (and, like this year), sometimes two games to figure out what we need to get better at before the Gators come rolling in. Florida can sure figure out our weaknesses with one week worth of reviewing film and preparing a game plan to exploit it.

Florida/UT isn't a rivalry. They beat us way too often for that. In fact, it's so bad, we hope we can win, or think we might be able to win. Florida expects to win this game. No, they KNOW they will win this game going in. The game is usually over before it started.They beat us way too often for that. In fact, it's so bad, we hope we can win, or think we might be able to win. Florida expects to win this game. No, they KNOW they will win this game going in. The game is usually over before it started.

I'm so sick and tired of looking up from the bottom of the SEC East after the first SEC game every year that I cannot stand it. We're always having to hope and pray that Florida loses twice -- which is a rarity -- to have a chance to back in to the SEC East championship. Even if they do help us out by losing two SEC games, we're now weak enough that we can't expect to realistically run the table against the rest of our SEC opponents as we use to.

That's another thing. I know we're not as talented now as we once were. But we have talent. Have we forgotten that our '05 recruiting class was unanimously seleceted as a top 3 class? And most analysts had it as the #1 class? And, other than a down year this past year due to coming off of a 5-6 season, Fulmer consistently puts together top 10 and top 5 classes year in and year out. If nothing else, the man (and his staff) can recruit.

So why do we lose 75% of thime against Florida? Heck, if you take out going 2-1 against Zook, we've only beaten Florida 3 times since Spurrier showed up down there; once in OT when they missed a chip-shot FG.

The talent is there. We have great support, great facilities, play is the best conference in the country and, for the most part, have great coaches. But it just seems that we never get rolling as a team until we lose a game. Unfortunately for us, since Florida is almost always our first real test, that first loss is usually to Florida. Which means you stand little chance of winning the SEC East. If you can't even win your division of your conference, you sure can't put yourself in position to win a conference championship, or a national championship.

I disagree with your comment about Florida coming in KNOWING they will win. The last 6 games have been split by us and the gators.

there is a certain confidence level Florida seems to have when they paly TN, i can't deny that, and to me it's evident in the fact that we really haven't blown out Florida since the 45-3 triumph in the early 90's. the 24-10 game was nice a couple of years ago in the Swamp, but it wasn't like we just "handled" them. it has gone from hoping to win that game though to we can win this game.

I also think we had a similar confidence with UGA and Bama at one time....but since UGA has blown us out since our domination of that series, our confidence level is shaken a bit...add to that a couple of close losses and no wins in Knoxville for a while, that confidence has shifted.

But i have yet, in the past 10 years, to look at the UGA or Bama games the same way i do Florida games. Reason: We used to beat the crap out of both of them regularly, so the possiblity of winning, even today, is still expected. With Florida, it's always...we "need" to win. it's so early, it means so much for the rest of the season, and UF has handed us our fair share of beat downs over the years....i don't know, jmo...i'm probably way off base...this is just my feeling about those games...

Jake, I don't think your far off on that. That is a more than reasonable assertation. At one time we only had Spurrier to prepare for. At 2-0 against us, the monkey semms to have passed on to Meyer. UGA has Richt who is way ahead of Goff and Donnan, Auburn has Tubby, LSU doesn't seem to matter whose coaching, and Shuls is slowly bringing up the tide even in his youth. Most of it is just psyche stuff. As good as Stallings was at Bama, he didn't have our number. Uf has had our number and UGA has it now. I don't care how tough the tradition of the SEC is, overall, it's a b**** right now. I see very few SEC schools having perenial 1 and 2 loss seasons anymore. When it's your year, you better not blow it.

P.S. if Arky and SC bounce back, that is 8 teams capable of jockying for real position. That is ruthless. I say take the best you can get a run to hte next game. Going into last weeks game, 5 SEC teams were in the top 15. One-thrid!!! of the top 15 in the country from SEC. I don't care who you are that's tough, and we all have to play that out the rest of the year. I'm very die hard, but come on.

Jake, I don't think your far off on that. That is a more than reasonable assertation. At one time we only had Spurrier to prepare for. At 2-0 against us, the monkey semms to have passed on to Meyer. UGA has Richt who is way ahead of Goff and Donnan, Auburn has Tubby, LSU doesn't seem to matter whose coaching, and Shuls is slowly bringing up the tide even in his youth. Most of it is just psyche stuff. As good as Stallings was at Bama, he didn't have our number. Uf has had our number and UGA has it now. I don't care how tough the tradition of the SEC is, overall, it's a b**** right now. I see very few SEC schools having perenial 1 and 2 loss seasons anymore. When it's your year, you better not blow it.
the conference is tougher today than it was 10 years ago, no arguement there. 10 years ago, it was UF, TN and BAma claiming all the SEC titles...now wiht AUB, LSU, UGA getting better, it's made the climb to the top a lot tougher than just getting thru one or two games on your schedule...

To what do you attribute the success of AU, LSU and UGA? Exciting, younger coaches who can think imaginatively and relate to today's youth maybe?

Look in the sig for OrangeandBlue. Two players are making the "L" symbol with their thumb and finger but one has it backwards.

I don't think he was making the "loser" sign...I think the photo was just snapped in such a way that his fingers were positioned as so.

Look, I hate florida just like everyone does but we have to get over that lost and focus on memphis. The more we whine about it the more we look like crybabies and Vol fans aren't crybabies!

VN Store

Back