Sick and Tired of losing to Florida

brentwoodvols

Now that I've had nearly a week to absorb yet another loss to Florida, it still makes me sick.

I hate Florida.

What I hate more is that we're always trying to find what went wrong after we lose to them. As if we're surprised by things that should have been noticed by those 15 or so highly paid coaches beforehand. They had spring practice, fall practice and we've always had at least one game (and, like this year), sometimes two games to figure out what we need to get better at before the Gators come rolling in. Florida can sure figure out our weaknesses with one week worth of reviewing film and preparing a game plan to exploit it.

Florida/UT isn't a rivalry. They beat us way too often for that. In fact, it's so bad, we hope we can win, or think we might be able to win. Florida expects to win this game. No, they KNOW they will win this game going in. The game is usually over before it started.

I'm so sick and tired of looking up from the bottom of the SEC East after the first SEC game every year that I cannot stand it. We're always having to hope and pray that Florida loses twice -- which is a rarity -- to have a chance to back in to the SEC East championship. Even if they do help us out by losing two SEC games, we're now weak enough that we can't expect to realistically run the table against the rest of our SEC opponents as we use to.

That's another thing. I know we're not as talented now as we once were. But we have talent. Have we forgotten that our '05 recruiting class was unanimously seleceted as a top 3 class? And most analysts had it as the #1 class? And, other than a down year this past year due to coming off of a 5-6 season, Fulmer consistently puts together top 10 and top 5 classes year in and year out. If nothing else, the man (and his staff) can recruit.

So why do we lose 75% of thime against Florida? Heck, if you take out going 2-1 against Zook, we've only beaten Florida 3 times since Spurrier showed up down there; once in OT when they missed a chip-shot FG.

The talent is there. We have great support, great facilities, play is the best conference in the country and, for the most part, have great coaches. But it just seems that we never get rolling as a team until we lose a game. Unfortunately for us, since Florida is almost always our first real test, that first loss is usually to Florida. Which means you stand little chance of winning the SEC East. If you can't even win your division of your conference, you sure can't put yourself in position to win a conference championship, or a national championship.

Calm down. Look at the bright side, when it comes to Florida you will never have it as bad as I do.

I wish the game could be later in the season.

I hate UF too and can't really tell you why they have such a good winning percentage against UT. It always seems to be something different. Maybe UT doesn't do a good enough job of getting next year's starters good game time experience each year. That would be one advantage of throwing a few easy wins into the schedule like virtually everyone else does.

When UT ran well, UF threw so well and scored so many points that they took UT out of its game plan. Now UT throws well but couldn't run well enough to hold the lead... though I'm not sure why they didn't just keep pressuring UF by passing.

It's always close and, while you might be tempted to blame coaching alone, the staff seems to perform about as well as UF against their common opponents.

I totally agree wuth you brentwood. Every year I get so excited coming into this game and when it's over i feel as if i've been beat down. It seems to me that we always shoot ourselves in the foot. It never fails when we get a desent leed on Florida we are going to get concervitive. We have done it every year.

This year we could not run all game , but after we got a 10 point lead we tried to establish a running game. Some of you say "well you have to keep them honest" well horse s?!t. we passed well all night and that is what got us in position to score why stop then. Finish them and put the final nail in the coffen.

As for the defense in the fourth quarter we stopped blitzing, we laid back and that has always killed us in this game. S.S loved to get the ball late in the 4th when we had the lead and he had a little time on the clock. We would always lay back and let them roll on us. nothing messes up a passing attack better than a little pressure.:furious3:

Wasn't like UT got owned by Florida. A 1 pt loss in the final minutes with UT out 2 starters on defense.

Yes, Florida has bragging rights. But a 1 pt loss, in the final minutes is nothing to be ashamed of. -11 yards rushing, thats another story.

I Tivo'd the Fulmer Show because I couldn't find it within myself to watch it when it originally aired. So last night I tried to watch it. Not a good idea. Obviously I haven't overcome the loss like I had originally thought and had to turn it off before I broke something.....again. I don't know if I will continue to save it. It may be best to erase it and the game. Maybe that is the beginning of my "Florida Loss" therapy.

i dont understand how they beat us way to often to be a rivalry....rivalries dont matter winnin and losin....some teams own others....we dominated UF in the early 90s then they took over....and until this past yea we had won what? like 3 out of the last 5....yet they own us and it cant be a rivalry....y dont u just forget about it and move on like the team is goin to do and still support them as they try to win the east.....its not over yet....

Far from over. Am now an Bama and LSU fan in coming weeks. Only chance to get back into race. Think we will learn from Gator loss.

I hope we learned something. Great teams always take something away from every game, win or lose. Are we a great team?:crossfingers:

I'm not worried about whether anything was learned because I assume they learned something. What worries me is whether they have the personnel and creativity to do anything about it.

I'm not worried about whether anything was learned because I assume they learned something. What worries me is whether they have the personnel and creativity to do anything about it.
Probably. Looking at the junk Meyer pulled off at Utah, I'd say he's creative on offense. Tebow and a good offensive line coming in, there might be shades of Spurrier at Gainesville in 2007. Although, like I said, we run the damn ball, we win.

...we dominated UF in the early 90s then they took over.......

Well, I'm not sure you guys dominated. You did win 2 out of the first 3 years in the series, but then we all know what happened after that...

I agree with what some earlier posters said - UF expects to beat both UT and UGA every year. For lack of a better word, we just feel like we are...(cough)...better. Call it arrogance or call it swagger, but the fact is most Gators think we'll win those 2 games every year. Maybe that attitude carries over to the players too?

Now, for us, our insecurity seems to come with FSU. They can be having their worst season in 10 years and a lot of Gators will talk themselves out of winning that game. We've beaten them the last 2 years with a blowout victory last season so hopefully that attitude will change.

Wasn't like UT got owned by Florida. A 1 pt loss in the final minutes with UT out 2 starters on defense.

Yes, Florida has bragging rights. But a 1 pt loss, in the final minutes is nothing to be ashamed of. -11 yards rushing, thats another story.

I believe the original poster was talking about the history of the series since 1990...when the two teams started playing each other annually.

Dont sleep on the fact that the state of Florida produces so much blue chip talent. The Vols have to bring in the majority of their talent from out of state. So when you line guys up across from one another, one side is new to the rivalry and the other grew up in it. Makes a big difference IMHO

After reading, Gator fans everywhere are smiling.

:)

Bingo.

Dont sleep on the fact that the state of Florida produces so much blue chip talent. The Vols have to bring in the majority of their talent from out of state. So when you line guys up across from one another, one side is new to the rivalry and the other grew up in it. Makes a big difference IMHO

Florida is a big state and of course with the year-round weather we have there are always so many great athletes coming out of high school. The Big 3 in Florida have a huge advantage because these kids can stay in-state and visit home easily AND they can play for perennial Top 25 teams that will get them on TV and situated to go to the NFL. They do not have a lot of incentive to go elsewhere.

Tennessee seems to have more trouble with Georgia than Flordia these days. The UT-Fla series is 3-3 the past 6 seasons. It's become a lot more competetive than the late 90s.

VN Store

Back