SI has Hooker leading for Heisman

It's not your father's Sports Illustrated anymore.
yumi-nu-3.jpg

View attachment 494959

Tbh, I prefer it. Don't judge

This is good news however, taking it in strides. We need 6 if not 7 more WINS if HH4H campaign is to really kick in and have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaintLouisVol
That's what I was thinking. His chances are dependent on the success of the team.

Of course they are. If the Angels were worth a darn this year, Ohtani would be in the running for MVP. But Yanks are winning and the outcome is written on the wall

1664313875430.png

The Heisman Trophy, with a few exceptions, is given to the "best" QB or RB on a national title-contending team (despite the fashionability of the position, it actually rarely is awarded to WRs). If you aren't on a national-title contending team, then you need to be a QB or RB with otherworldly stats that push you over the QB or RB on a team that is a contender. This is how Lamar Jackson and RGIII won the award.

The problem for us Vols is that Johnny Majors and Peyton were 2 of those exceptions. And these were big exceptions, bigger than Lamar or RGIII winning it. Majors lost it to Paul Hornung, whose 1956 Notre Dame team went 2-8 and he still, to this day, is the only Heisman winner from a losing team. Woodson, to this day, is the only primarily defensive player to win the award, despite Peyton being the best QB or RB on a national title-contending team. There isn't a conspiracy against Tennessee to deny a Vol the award, but honestly I see why people feel like there might be.

I know people are upset about Shuler in 1993 as well, but honestly I feel like Ward deserved it. Numbers were better, and played on a better team.

VN Store

Back