Should we give a nickname to the Vandy/Tennessee game?

The only reason vandy football has any semblance of a fanbase is because we've lost to them three years in a row.

Do not legitimize it. Do not name the game.

Reactions: Behr
Neyland put an end to this game being a rivalry game for Vol fans. As for the Vandy folks, sure they hate us, I just don’t get the hate Vol fans have for Vandy. Other than it being a no win game for us they just don’t matter. They are like Memphis(Not sure which program is insulted more by the comparison. Most likely they both would take it as a compliment.) except we have played them more.

Middle East Showdown

Yep. You don't acknowledge the Memphis fan trying to jaw with you. You don't acknowledge vandy's football program.

The"I can't believe we have to actually have to worry about vandy, win this to get to a bowl, how the hell has our program fallen this far?" game.

Reactions: Titan05
1. Yes, we have this discussion every November.

2. No, we never come up with a name. (Even the Tennessean abruptly dropped efforts to name it in the run-up to the 2016 game.)

3. Yes, it's a rivalry, particularly if you live in Greater Nashville. We've been playing them forever. Georgia dominates Tech but it's still a rivalry. Any in-state, continuously played series is a rivalry. If it's not, why do we play it. We dominate Kentucky but it's a rivalry and used to have the beer barrel.

4. Yes, it needs a name.

5. Yes, you DAs who pooh-pooh the idea of a name, or that this is a rivalry, are way too dumb to have some fun. Get over your DA selves.

6. I like the aforementioned Crockett Bowl. Or the Whisky Barrel. Or the U.S. 70 Showdown or Skirmish. Or the I-40 Fight. Or the Country-Bluegrass Bowl. (Music Bowl is sort of taken but it would be good.) Or the Battle of the Cumberlands (the river v. the avenue). Or the Battle of the 'Villes (Knox v. Nash). Or the OverMountain Skirmish.

I'll contribute my royalty checks to the University if one of these is chosen.

Last edited:
1. Yes, we have this discussion every November.

2. No, we never come up with a name. (Even the Tennessean abruptly dropped efforts to name it in the run-up to the 2016 game.)

3. Yes, it's a rivalry, particularly if you live in Greater Nashville. We've been playing them forever. Georgia dominates Tech but it's still a rivalry. Any in-state, continuously played series is a rivalry. If it's not, why do we play it. We dominate Kentucky but it's a rivalry and used to have the beer barrel.

4. Yes, it needs a name.

5. Yes, you DAs who pooh-pooh the idea of a name, or that this is a rivalry, are way too dumb to have some fun. Get over your DA selves.

6. I like the aforementioned Crockett Bowl. Or the Whisky Barrel. Or the U.S. 70 Showdown or Skirmish. Or the I-40 Fight. Or the Country-Bluegrass Bowl. (Music Bowl is sort of taken but it would be good.) Or the Battle of the Cumberlands (the river v. the avenue). Or the Battle of the 'Villes (Knox v. Nash). Or the OverMountain Skirmish.

I'll contribute my royalty checks to the University if one of these is chosen.

Silly.

An Earnest Proposal
The Kybo Bowl. The losing team has to place the commemorative kybo just outside the entrance to the McGugin Center or the Anderson Training Center. The kybo will be painted 1/2 black & gold and 1/2 orange & white. The black & gold side will list Vanderbilt's loses in orange & white. The orange & white side will list Tennessee's loses in black & gold. The kybo must be maintained in working order in accordance with any/all regulatory requirements by the respective football programs throughout its year of residence at the host institution. Each year, prior to the game, the kybo shall be emptied, thoroughly cleaned (including removal of graffiti and repair to paint scheme as required) and transported to the game site. After the game, the loser shall take possession, record their loss on the kybo, put it in place, make it functional, and issue a report with photographs to the winner, along with a press release to all news organizations state-wide.

Last edited:
Well, I feel better for not knowing WTH a "kybo" is, because according to this Urban Dictionary entry, it "is found behind houses in Arkansas, Alabama, and other places where people drawl."

I don't live in a place where people drawl.

The Battle for Darla's Heart
297481.jpg

VN Store

Back