Shorten the Bench?

Yep - Butch wore us out with it. Many of our fans complain about how CRB talks too straight with the media.
He’s also not going to go out there and publicly say I’m only going to play 8 guys against Texas, how do you think practice would go? When push comes to shove he’s gonna go with what he feels is most talented/experienced.

He’s also not going to go out there and publicly say I’m only going to play 8 guys against Texas, how do you think practice would go? When push comes to shove he’s gonna go with what he feels is most talented/experienced.
I think he’s going to play the lineups he thinks will win us games and I don’t expect he will share that with the upcoming opponents by choosing to omit discussion on the topics. I think his history here shows that when he makes definitive type statements to the media, then he tends to follow those until they don’t work out. JMO from watch his press conferences and the next games.

I think he’s going to play the lineups he thinks will win us games and I don’t expect he will share that with the upcoming opponents by choosing to omit discussion on the topics. I think his history here shows that when he makes definitive type statements to the media, then he tends to follow those until they don’t work out. JMO from watch his press conferences and the next games.
Guess we’ll see if Awaka and Mashack are getting double digit minutes in a close game Saturday.

Guess we’ll see if Awaka and Mashack are getting double digit minutes in a close game Saturday.
Who said those 2 specificly were getting any certain number of minutes? You willing to State definitely that neither will play Saturday barring a 20+ point game differential?

Who said those 2 specificly were getting any certain number of minutes? You willing to State definitely that neither will play Saturday barring a 20+ point game differential?
Well those 2 are part of the rotation, I don’t count a brief appeance to avoid a late half foul on someone as really playing a role. They both played double digit minutes tonight and that seemed to be your point, is that Barnes said 10 man rotation and they’ll all keep on playing, I’m calling BS.

Well those 2 are part of the rotation, I don’t count a brief appeance to avoid a late half foul on someone as really playing a role. They both played double digit minutes tonight and that seemed to be your point, is that Barnes said 10 man rotation and they’ll all keep on playing, I’m calling BS.
Why do you feel compelled to project your perception of my point when I clearly state my points?

To me that’s been your point, you don’t seem to think the rotation will shrink and I do.
Nope - my point was CRB has stated repeatedly in the media that he’s got a very deep roster and as long as guys are earning minutes he will play them. A couple guys may play themselves out of minutes as it’s a moving target. I don’t think CRB will by default cut it to a 7-8 man rotation unless something changes in his perception. Before tonight I thought Mashack was playing such bad O that he would lose minutes but he looked much better tonight. Awaka keeps improving so those other 3 guys better produce as Awaka is trending up strongly!

Nope - my point was CRB has stated repeatedly in the media that he’s got a very deep roster and as long as guys are earning minutes he will play them. A couple guys may play themselves out of minutes as it’s a moving target. I don’t think CRB will by default cut it to a 7-8 man rotation unless something changes in his perception. Before tonight I thought Mashack was playing such bad O that he would lose minutes but he looked much better tonight. Awaka keeps improving so those other 3 guys better produce as Awaka is trending up strongly!
So you’re saying that if Saturday Awaka and/or Mashack don’t play it’s because they did something between Wednesday and Saturday to not play? Not that maybe in a tight game Barnes just wanted more minutes for Santi/Ziegler/Phillips/James?

If they don’t play it will be because CRB doesn’t think they will help us win would be my guess. It won’t be because CRB believes he has to shrink the roster because we’re getting towards the end of the season.

If they don’t play it will be because CRB doesn’t think they will help us win would be my guess. It won’t be because CRB believes he has to shrink the roster because we’re getting towards the end of the season.
You’re saying the same thing, and now changing what you were just saying.

Your previous post said if guys don’t play “it’s because they aren’t earning minutes” essentially, now you’re saying if they don’t play it’s because Barnes doesn’t think they’ll help us win that specific game? So which is it? They didn’t mess up and so the deserve minutes but Barnes wants to win? Or they messed up and don’t earn minutes?

Shrinking the roster because you’re getting towards the end of the season (ie playing better teams and tournament) literally means that level of play and importance is stepping up and winning is most important. That’s saying the same thing.

If you’re saying that if we play a smaller rotation it’s because Barnes wants to win and feels it’s his best chance to win then I agree 100% and that’s what I’ve been saying.

I don’t agree that Barnes is gonna base his rotation on how guys practice the 2-3 days before a game and that as long as everyone practices good they’ll continue to play and have a spot in the rotation.

You’re saying the same thing, and now changing what you were just saying.

Your previous post said if guys don’t play “it’s because they aren’t earning minutes” essentially, now you’re saying if they don’t play it’s because Barnes doesn’t think they’ll help us win that specific game? So which is it? They didn’t mess up and so the deserve minutes but Barnes wants to win? Or they messed up and don’t earn minutes?

Shrinking the roster because you’re getting towards the end of the season (ie playing better teams and tournament) literally means that level of play and importance is stepping up and winning is most important. That’s saying the same thing.
You can clarify it with Barnes, but I didn’t take his statement of players earning playing time to mean only how they practiced for 2-3 days. I thought earning PT probably involves several things including practice habits, how you produce when given live game minutes, along with other internal criteria the coaching staff evaluates.

You can clarify it with Barnes, but I didn’t take his statement of players earning playing time to mean only how they practiced for 2-3 days. I thought earning PT probably involves several things including practice habits, how you produce when given live game minutes, along with other internal criteria the coaching staff evaluates.
So is it that they didn’t “earn it” if they don’t play in your opinion, meaning they’ve messed up or done something wrong considering they’ve earned it and played in every other game…or is it “Barnes trying to win” if they don’t play?

What’s your stance on this with Edwards? Is he not earning it? Or he does sometimes which is why he sometimes gets into games late?

Texas isn’t an oversized team and seems to be average rebounding team. They play 9 deep. So long as our bigs don’t let them drive around us, we may be able to punish them on the boards. If not we can matchup against them with a smaller lineup. Need to throw a lot of guys at Carr.

So is it that they didn’t “earn it” if they don’t play in your opinion, meaning they’ve messed up or done something wrong considering they’ve earned it and played in every other game…or is it “Barnes trying to win” if they don’t play?

What’s your stance on this with Edwards? Is he not earning it? Or he does sometimes which is why he sometimes gets into games late?
I think my last post addressed your first question.

I’ve got no stance on Edwards except it’s too bad he didn’t RS like Jefferson. We’ve got a deep roster and there’s only 200 minutes a game to be played so it’s tough to find some as a freshman on a deep roster if you’re not advanced beyond your years in your skills development.

If you’re saying that if we play a smaller rotation it’s because Barnes wants to win and feels it’s his best chance to win then I agree 100% and that’s what I’ve been saying.

I don’t agree that Barnes is gonna base his rotation on how guys practice the 2-3 days before a game and that as long as everyone practices good they’ll continue to play and have a spot in the rotation.

Bump @walkenvol because at this point I feel like you’re pulling a TGO and talking in circles to avoid actually saying something definitive. On one hand you want to say if they practice good they play, but then when asked you say if they don’t play it’s because Barnes wants to win, talking out of both sides of your mouth it feels like.

Bump, because at this point I feel like you’re pulling a TGO and talking in circles to avoid actually saying something definitive. On one hand you want to say if they practice good they play, but then when asked you say if they don’t play it’s because Barnes wants to win, talking out of both sides of your mouth it feels like.
Did you read post #65?

You either think the rotation will shrink or don’t, either is fine, but it’s like you’re saying…

“Barnes says as long as players practice good then they’ll keep playing and deserve minutes, so rotation won’t shrink”

then go on to say

“but if the rotation does shrink it’s probably because Barnes wants to win, not because he’s trying to shrink the rotation”.

Well which is it? Rotation is based on practice or on Barnes wanting to win? Couldn’t he feel his best chance to win is shrinking the rotation?

Pay closer attention then - all I’ve ever said was I believed what CRB says in his interviews whereas you called it “coach speak”.
But then you contradict it by saying if he shortens the rotation it’s because he wants to win, so do you not believe what he’s saying then? Lol

You either think the rotation will shrink or don’t, either is fine, but it’s like you wanna say

“Barnes says as long as players practice good then they’ll keep playing and deserve minutes, so rotation won’t shrink”

then go on to say

“but if the rotation does shrink it’s probably because Barnes wants to win, not because he’s trying to shrink the rotation”.
Again, pay closer attention. I NEVER SAID PT WAS ONLY EARNED BY PRACTICING GOOD. We can’t have a discussion if you choose to ignore what I say and instead respond to what you project I said or what you think I meant.

Chill - we’re on the same side - GO VOLS! CRB is an awesome coach!

VN Store

Back