Sewell is back!

I know you're trying, Preacherman, but it doesn't help me feel better that a guy that was a catcher couldn't win the position against a guy that was not a catcher. But more than that, I'm concerned that if Jared catches, his bat won't be nearly as potent. Am I off-base there?

@youcancallmeAl obviously not @preacherman20 but if permitted would offer these thoughs.
Early in the fall, not sure TV and staff knew for sure Jared Dickey could be as consistent at the plate as he was last year. Additionally, Jared was dealing with some well documented health issues that made his impact an unknown. So out of an abundance of caution, the staff prepared Evan and Jared for different roles. As it turned out, Jared was a beast at the plate and a decent outfielder. But the injury that sidelined him for a couple of months would have been difficult to over come if Charley Taylor had been our only option at catcher.
So in the long run TV and staff were clairvoyant.

To the issue of catching and one's batting average suffering, I wore the tools of ignorance for several years. On hot days, the amount of fluid loss is draining. In late innings, catchers are not going to beat out many ground balls. This may hurt Jared's average some. However, you have got to love the challenge to take the abuse. Jared has indicated he wants that role.

Last edited:
The unsettled catcher position really puts it in perspective of how just hard Evan worked and turned himself into an SEC starter. What he accomplished was pretty incredible. I love, love, love Evan and will defend him to the death, so don’t throw stats, etc, at me, because I don't care. We would have been a different team without Evan.
Evan was the glue and just a tremendously unselfish player who put the team first. He might be my all time favorite Vol regardless of sport with Drew a close second. Evan was a tremendous player and catcher. Based on what I’ve seen, he is an outstanding person with high character and values. BTW, his defensive metrics (passed balls and framing pitches) were outstanding.

Evan was the glue and just a tremendously unselfish player who put the team first. He might be my all time favorite Vol regardless of sport with Drew a close second. Evan was a tremendous player and catcher. Based on what I’ve seen, he is an outstanding person with high character and values. BTW, his defensive metrics (passed balls and framing pitches) were outstanding.
🧡

Reactions: chuckiepoo
@youcancallmeAl obviously not @preacherman20 but if permitted would offer these thoughs.
Early in the fall, not sure TV and staff knew for sure Jared Dickey could be as consistent at the plate as he was last year. Additionally, Jared was dealing with some well documented health issues that made his impact an unknown. So out of an abundance of caution, the staff prepared Evan and Jared for different roles. As it turned out, Jared was a beast at the plate and a decent outfielder. But the injury that sidelined him for a couple of months would have been difficult to over come if Charley Taylor had been our only option at catcher.
So in the long run TV and staff were clairvoyant.

To the issue of catching and one's batting average suffering, I wore the tools of ignorance for several years. On hot days, the amount of fluid loss is draining. In late innings, catchers are not going to beat out many ground balls. This may hurt Jared's average some. However, you have got to love the challenge to take the abuse. Jared has indicated he wants that role.

That helps answer my questions, so thanks. I hadn't realized there was that much in the background in the past over this issue. If Jared wants to wear the tools of ignorance (which we both wore for awhile), then more power to him.

Reactions: Aladywhovolunteer
Just wondering what role you think needs to be filled? Closer, LH or RH middle reliever, long relief.
I think we have every piece in place to fill the roles IF everyone stays healthy and is as good or better than they were last year and a couple of guys step up. I do think you can have too many pitchers. If you have too many guys early, the guys in the bullpen that you will need at the end don't get enough innings to be ready and develop their stuff. It takes game play to get ready not just practice.
Just wondering what you think we are missing.
As you noted, injuries are always a concern. More a case of depth and flexibility than a current need.

I think Sewell should be either the Saturday or Sunday starter, Beam should be Friday night.

Lol just my opinion I am probably wrong usually I am. I just saying he came back for a reason maybe just maybe it was to get his turn or shot at being a starter but like i said i am usually wrong, but I know I am king of the run on sentences,

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Dang I totally forgot about Dollander coming back, maybe let Sewell be midweek starter and put last year guy as a long reliever.

VN Store

Back