serious question

If Holly was here, so would be Collins. Collins will be a stud at Maryland.I think coming in would be another bumper class. I thing we would have same record, but wouldn't of lost to Texas, and would have dropped one to Missouri, their coach had Holly's number. Holly had team ready but it was figured out how to bet us by SEC time. I like playing time of whole team, I think Rae would have started game one, and we would have shown are full court off too much, already. Holly knows basketball, not sure she was a great motivator. I like what Kellie has done developing players, like Harris, and Key.

I think a more valid question than the original one would be Where would this team be if Zaay Green was on the court? Many observers close to the program believed that she was going to be the team's best player this year. Does the team average 17 turnovers a game if she's in the backcourt?

If Tennessee turns the ball over 11 times against Texas instead of 14, then they probably win. If they turn it over 18 times against Kentucky instead of 21, they probably win that one. So I think you could argue that if she's playing then UT probably has 5-10% fewer turnovers combined with her scoring 6-7 points more than the players combining to take her minutes, then Tennessee is 13-1 and probably in the top 10. How different is the board's opinion of Harper then?

She lost her best player and they're still in good shape so far. Y'all are welcome to have your own opinions, but saying you're disappointed in what you've seen or trying to argue that the play isn't obviously better than the last two years is absolutely baffling to me. I have no idea if Harper will work out long term, but they are significantly more consistent and competitive than I've seen the last two seasons.
I do not have to be convinced that KJH will put this program headed in the right direction. Mo. State was a train wreck and she brought them back from the ashes. We need to give her a chance and realize that it is not going to happen in less then a year. Yes, this is a much better with Zay on the court.

What I would like to see change about Tennessee and change quickly is getting Horston and Burrell to stop making 10 to 12 bonehead plays almost every game. I hope the coaches are really working with those two because for every good play they make there is a bad one coming. Coaches also have to realize that our bench is weak and like the last couple games fill in with them as they can. The bad decisions being made as we move along have not deceased still making many of the same ones just a different game. It has to stop sometimes or we'll continue to be who we are now. Coach may also want to rethink Brown playing defense against any perimeter player she is not doing well against them were really getting burned on defense and not Brown's fault don't think there was any way she could guard these players even on two good legs. She is much more suited for players her own sizeand play inside.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
What I would like to see change about Tennessee and change quickly is getting Horston and Burrell to stop making 10 to 12 bonehead plays almost every game. I hope the coaches are really working with those two because for every good play they make there is a bad one coming. Coaches also have to realize that our bench is weak and like the last couple games fill in with them as they can. The bad decisions being made as we move along have not deceased still making many of the same ones just a different game. It has to stop sometimes or we'll continue to be who we are now. Coach may also want to rethink Brown playing defense against any perimeter player she is not doing well against them were really getting burned on defense and not Brown's fault don't think there was any way she could guard these players even on two good legs. She is much more suited for players her own sizeand play inside.

I am pretty confident that the staff is well aware of these issues. If you look at the minutes played distributions, you will see that there was a big shift toward the first six (starters plus Burrell). However, there are going to be games that owing to injuries or foul trouble where Kellie will have to go deeper into the bench. So, the staff has to figure out how to "make do" in those situations.

As for Horston and Burrell, I agree with you but, per the above, Kellie does not have the luxury of pulling them. Both are young players and we can see clear improvement in their decision since the early season. For example, Horston, has developed a nice little eurostep when going to the basket rather than charging straight in, as per the early season games. Most of her turnovers come from trying to force a pass, often when she has a decent shot opportunity. Right now, she is caught between two mindsets, scoring guard and PG and then makes mistakes. That is why, I would prefer to see Jazz as the 30 minute plus PG and let Rennia and Horston provide the scoring punch.

Rae is getting better at reading the game. Her oft noted tendency is to drive the lane into traffic or to dribble into a double team. Those judgment errors are an experience problem and she is showing signs of improving her court version. She is a player that the more minutes she gets, the better. I don't care if she starts or is the 6th man. The staff seems to feel she does better if she can see how the game is unfolding before jumping into the fray. If that is the case, that is the case. But she should be a 30 mpg player (barring foul trouble).

Honestly, look at the replay of KY. Lou Brown did way better than I thought she could on the defensive side. She is a savvy player who is figuring out how to minimize her liabilities. She never will be a lock down defender but IF she can play competent d (as she did against KY) AND provide some 3 point scoring, she has a place on the court.

Her defense remains a liability that the team has to work around so if she is not scoring at least a 3 treys per game, then her overall contribution ratio does not look so good. But again, in times of injury, foul trouble, or illness, Kellie does not have that many other options,

Last edited:
I am pretty confident that the staff is well aware of these issues. If you look at the minutes played distributions, you see that there was a big shift toward the first six (starters plus Burrell). There are going to be games that owing to injuries or foul trouble that kellie will have to go deeper into the bench. So, the staff has to figure out how to "make do" in those situations.

As for Horston and Burrell, I agree with you but, per the above, Kellie does not have the luxury of pulling them. Both are young players and we can see clear improvement in their decision since the early season. For example, Horston, has developed a nice little eurostep when going to the basket rather than charging straight in, as per the early season games. Most of her turnovers come from trying to force a pass, often when she has decent shot opportunity. Right now, she is caught between two mindsets, scoring guard and PG and the creates some mistakes. That is why, I would prefer to see Jazz as the 30 minute plus PG and let Rennia and Horston provide the scoring punch.

Rae is getting better at reading the game. Her oft noted tendency is to drive the lane into traffic or to dribble into a double team. Those judgment errors are an experience problem and she is showing signs of improving her court version. She is a player that the more minutes she gets, the better. I don't care if she starts or is the 6th man. The staff seems to feel she does better if she can see how the game is unfolding before jumping into the fray. If that is the case, that is the case. But she should be a 30 mpg player (barring foul trouble).

Honestly, look at the replay of KY. Lou Brown did way better than I thought she could on the defensive side. She is a savvy player who is figuring out how to minimize her liabilities. She never will be a lock down defender but IF she can play competent d (as she did against KY) AND provide some 3 point scoring, she has a place on the court.

Her defense remains a liability that the team has to work around so if she is not scoring at least a 3 treys per game, then her overall contribution ratio does not look so good. But again, in times of injury, foul trouble, or illness, Kellie does not have that many other options,

Jon Harper just tweeted out two great practices this week let's take what we've learned and apply it in the game tonight. Hopefully that will mean not passing when you already have a five footer and taking the open shot instead of trying to force it inside. Being wary of the Refs and how they call offensive fouls even though they missed three calls against us that should've been blocks in the Kentucky game.

Reactions: madtownvol
Jon Harper just tweeted out two great practices this week let's take what we've learned and apply it in the game tonight. Hopefully that will mean not passing when you already have a five footer and taking the open shot instead of trying to force it inside. Being wary of the Refs and how they call offensive fouls even though they missed three calls against us that should've been blocks in the Kentucky game.

Kellie is clearly taking the idea that is coaching is teaching, ala her role model/mentor, to heart. I am betting these players are going to be good students.

Kellie is clearly taking the idea that is coaching is teaching, ala her role model/mentor, to heart. I am betting these players are going to be good students.
Two or three plays away from beating both Texas and Kentucky. I think she has done a fabulous job thus far when you consider two starters are freshmen and one is a sophomore. Your talking about two players that had to move from a easy schedule to a extreme one immediately. I am quite happy with the progress I've seen thus far.

Last edited:
I am pretty confident that the staff is well aware of these issues. If you look at the minutes played distributions, you see that there was a big shift toward the first six (starters plus Burrell). There are going to be games that owing to injuries or foul trouble that kellie will have to go deeper into the bench. So, the staff has to figure out how to "make do" in those situations.

As for Horston and Burrell, I agree with you but, per the above, Kellie does not have the luxury of pulling them. Both are young players and we can see clear improvement in their decision since the early season. For example, Horston, has developed a nice little eurostep when going to the basket rather than charging straight in, as per the early season games. Most of her turnovers come from trying to force a pass, often when she has decent shot opportunity. Right now, she is caught between two mindsets, scoring guard and PG and then makes mistakes. That is why, I would prefer to see Jazz as the 30 minute plus PG and let Rennia and Horston provide the scoring punch.

Great post as always, madtownvol. I wish Coach Kellie could have you and some others on this forum as consultants. BTW, I am not being sarcastic but speaking honestly.

Reactions: madtownvol
Great post as always, madtownvol. I wish Coach Kellie could have you and some others on this forum as consultants. BTW, I am not being sarcastic but speaking honestly.

We don't really know each other's identity
Maybe mtv is....

..mtv ;o)

BUMP the month of january is over. the record is now in print. The pros and cons on the qualifications of KJH are now based on results not conjecture of board members.

the team plays 40 minutes, as a team that communicates. opposing coaches are exposing weaknesses and most teams come ready to play their A game. But to-date they have gritted out wins in different ways.

we boarders can't play even a minute in future games, score a point, get a rebound or even heaven forbid make a turnover. Personally I am most pleased with our new coaches and more important the LV players have showed they are willing to play for her. go LVs

Last edited:
Reactions: Benionsopinion
Personally I am most pleased with our new coaches and more important the LV players have showed they are willing to play for her.
Bingo. The huge obstacle KJH faced from the get go was reclaiming a program in complete and total mental disarray. That she has apparently righted a totally toxic culture in half a season is by itself a huge accomplishment. I never dreamed she, or anyone, could have done so this quickly and I am delighted. Even with the tormenting turnovers, LV games are actually fun again and the players appear to be bought in. Cannot overstate what a major rebuilding block this is. Nothing constructive was going to happen with these players on court until the off court mindset was fixed. Now they can devote themselves to the mechanical and technical issues.

VN Store

Back