Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

Exactly. He gets called out now for not beating people bad enough. Or losing a NC.

The next guy won't have a chance.

You think OSU fans went "meh" when Meyer got waxed by Dabo?

Neither would be on the verge of getting fired but they both take shots after being excellent in most regards.

Kinda like Ray Perkins.

Steve Spurrior actually stated Florida fans were spoiled.

Fulmer said same thing two years later. Then two years after that he went 5-6!

Are people still living in the fantasy land where Tennessee spends a ton of money to hire a proven coach? hahahahaha bless your hearts..

I'd love to see the administration go out and hire a proven coach with SEC experience, preferably one that's won nine games the last two years.

Reactions: 1 person
That is a shame. I think you're correct, but it's sad that 5 losses gets him more time.

Look at Georgia and CMR. They may have not messed up by getting rid of him but they did by his replacement.

I think we are Georgia's version of that senerio with Jones here.

Bobby Petrino would be an upgrade and would come to UT. What he did he do that was so gawd awful bad in the 1st place? I mean really. C'mon. That being said I'd prefer Butch just win and we don't worry about it...but this painting of Petrino as the devil is just ridiculous.

Coaches are judged by wins and losses. I expect any change Currie does or does not make will be based on who we beat, and who we don't. He knows football is the bread and butter of the UTAD. He'll do whatever he thinks necessary to guarantee success.

This is Johnny Majors record while at Tennessee. Give it a look. This guy won a NC and 3 SEC titles. Compare those first 4 years here to Butch's. Go ahead. Now, I wasn't around in 77, but you can't tell me he came into a situation a whole lot worse than Butch did.

Quit being moronic and wanting this guy fired.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-24-03-18-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-24-03-18-03.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4
This is Johnny Majors record while at Tennessee. Give it a look. This guy won a NC and 3 SEC titles. Compare those first 4 years here to Butch's. Go ahead. Now, I wasn't around in 77, but you can't tell me he came into a situation a whole lot worse than Butch did.

Coaching now isn't like it was back then. Majors was before the modern age of carousel coaching changes and the results now generation. As for wanting Butch fired, I'm sure every Vol fan would rather see him succeed.

Coaching now isn't like it was back then. Majors was before the modern age of carousel coaching changes and the results now generation. As for wanting Butch fired, I'm sure every Vol fan would rather see him succeed.

I agree coaching isn't what it used to be. I also would have thought everyone would have wanted him to succeed. Then I read "I hope he wins 12 games and a foolish Midwestern school hires him".

That's the dumbest ish (even taking some of D4H's posts into account) I think I've ever read here. If he wins 12 games with this roster and this schedule he's SEC COY. That means he's put all the pieces together and this program is hitting its stride. That is literally saying "I hope the coach that leads us to the best season since we've won a NC gets hired elsewhere". I can't fathom the level of stupidity that takes. And it got a like!

I know sunshine pumping that doesn't allow for criticism is annoying and insane in its own right. But actually hoping a coach has a great year here after building the program back up and then leaves? Are you even a Vol fan at that point?

Reactions: 6 people
I agree coaching isn't what it used to be. I also would have thought everyone would have wanted him to succeed. Then I read "I hope he wins 12 games and a foolish Midwestern school hires him".

That's the dumbest ish (even taking some of D4H's posts into account) I think I've ever read here. If he wins 12 games with this roster and this schedule he's SEC COY. That means he's put all the pieces together and this program is hitting its stride. That is literally saying "I hope the coach that leads us to the best season since we've won a NC gets hired elsewhere". I can't fathom the level of stupidity that takes. And it got a like!

I know sunshine pumping that doesn't allow for criticism is annoying and insane in its own right. But actually hoping a coach has a great year here after building the program back up and then leaves? Are you even a Vol fan at that point?

I guess there probably are a few posters who'd still want Butch gone even if he put together a string of NCs, and if that's the case, then no, I wouldn't consider them actual Vol fans. But for some of the posters on here, their frustration has just thrown their common sense out the window. It's the desire to win and compete for NCs that's fueling their fire. Best to take most with a grain of salt and simply shake your head and move on. You'll never change a closed mind.

Reactions: 3 people

This is why the average fan is getting annoyed with the constant negativity in the media and on social media. The ones doing this don't get it for some reason - but most of them have lost credibility except for the small ring of extreme folks that want Jones fired or to leave regardless of his record next year.

Folks forget that eventually you turn the one you are beating up into a victim and then you find that you are the one that starts getting beat up by the masses who have had enough.

Reactions: 2 people
If you think jones is going anywhere anytime soon with the recruiting class he is putting together currently you are off your rocker.

Fulmer had the number 3 ranked class when he got fired and he had several SEC rings and a natty. I believe 8-5 with losses to USCe and Vandy or Kentucky mixed in and he gets canned.

Bobby Petrino would be an upgrade and would come to UT. What he did he do that was so gawd awful bad in the 1st place? I mean really. C'mon. That being said I'd prefer Butch just win and we don't worry about it...but this painting of Petrino as the devil is just ridiculous.

IDK. Some AD's take a ugly view of their head football coach lying to them, especially after committing adultery with a staff member which would constitute quid pro quo but other than those MINOR INFRACTIONS he did nothing I guess....:

Are people still living in the fantasy land where Tennessee spends a ton of money to hire a proven coach? hahahahaha bless your hearts..

Yeah... The last "proven" coach we hired was Serrano. How'd that turn out?

We can't get ANY hire right!

If Alabama were to have two seasons in a row where they dropped 3 games each season, then their fans would start up the "game has passed him by" complaints towards Saban. I know it sounds crazy but the expectation for Alabama is crazy high. I don't think the university is crazy enough to listen but the fans would start to moan about it.

Bammers gonna be Bammers...

This is what I'm afraid of. Whether Butch is the answer or not, I'm afraid our program will be set back a couple of years due to not spending good money on a proven coach. They'll settle for someone similar to Butch that'll produce the same results we already have.

It's basically a lose situation either way.

No proven coach will want to come to U.T. Why do people think that once bUTch leaves, then Belichek or Saban will beg to get the head coaching job at U.T.?
In past head coach openings, we tried to get many coaches but we always end up with the 10th person on our list.
Dooley was like the 10th person on our wish list. No one was interested in the job; except, Mike Leech....
bUTch was like the 10th person on our wish list. No one wanted the job; except, Kevin Sumlin, but the Athletic Director said he didn't have good organizational skills, so we hired bUTch. Even though Sumlin was interested in the job and was doing a good job at the University of Houston.
To us, the U.T. job is the greatest job on the face of the earth. To others, it is a B- job. Not on their A list of jobs.

Different times, different expectations. Johnny Majors' hiring was the homecoming of a hero. He was given enough rope to hang the entire town of Knoxville (I was there).

Bill Battle actually had a good winning percentage, but he couldn't beat the Bear, and his recruiting wasn't up to par with Dickey's. Majors started "slow" and had his up and down years. He did not build the program to a consistent 9-game winner (11-game seasons). He was no Bob Stoops.* His results would not pass muster with the expectations of VN's FF regulars.

*Side bar: One can argue that Bob Stoops met expectations engendered by the success of Fulmer's first 12 years.

10 pages in and certain flamboyant posts have yet to appear...

From those fearful of another Dooleyesque demise:
Fire Butch, now, and the earth will crack, the oceans will be swallowed, up, the sky will fall, and Tennessee football as we know it will end.

From those lacking any regard for Jones:
Fire Butch, and Heaven's hand will be upon whoever replaces him; the Vols will average double-digit wins and be perennial contenders for the SEC Championship and the CFP.

10 pages in and certain flamboyant posts have yet to appear...

From those fearful of another Dooleyesque demise:
Fire Butch, now, and the earth will crack, the oceans will be swallowed, up, the sky will fall, and Tennessee football as we know it will end.

From those lacking any regard for Jones:
Fire Butch, and Heaven's hand will be upon whoever replaces him; the Vols will average double-digit wins and be perennial contenders for the SEC Championship and the CFP.

Maybe we're evolving as a fan base?

Blue font intended.

Richt averaged 8/9 wins per at uga, got fired.......
and this is the difference between the SEC and most other conferences. Richt actually was there 3 or 4 years too long, never took the Dawgs into a stadium for a NC game. Perhaps Vandy and USCe are the only two schools let you average 8/9 wins per year and hang forever. Even Ole Miss & Miss St wouldn't put up with it forever, Richt milked it >10 years and UGA became a joke in many locker rooms.

No proven coach will want to come to U.T. Why do people think that once bUTch leaves, then Belichek or Saban will beg to get the head coaching job at U.T.?
In past head coach openings, we tried to get many coaches but we always end up with the 10th person on our list.
Dooley was like the 10th person on our wish list. No one was interested in the job; except, Mike Leech....
bUTch was like the 10th person on our wish list. No one wanted the job; except, Kevin Sumlin, but the Athletic Director said he didn't have good organizational skills, so we hired bUTch. Even though Sumlin was interested in the job and was doing a good job at the University of Houston.
To us, the U.T. job is the greatest job on the face of the earth. To others, it is a B- job. Not on their A list of jobs.

The reasons guys weren't interested in taking the job after Dooley were many...

1. Declining program
2. Poor roster and damaged recruiting relationships
3. Major APR issue/program on verge of Bowl ban
4. Leadership issues, which quite honestly, still exist in large part.

Thanks to the great off the field work by Jones, all those issues are now a thing of the past. Were Butch to have a poor season and Currie decides to let him go, the Tennessee job would be very, very attractive to any proven/unproven college football coach in the country imo.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back