Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

I can't help but wonder. Each time that members of the fan base talk harshly about our players and our coaches if that affects potential coaches interest in the program.
Or if our firing Fulmer with a 75% winning average, firing Dooley and running Conzo out of town affects potential coaches interest in the program.
Or if our strength of schedule affects potential coaches being interested in the program.

If,I were Urban Crier, Saban, etc. etc. I would not want to go to a program in which many of the fans easily turn against the coaches and players. I would not want to work for a program whose athletic program will fire Fulmer and Conzo who weren't bad coaches. I also would not want to work for a program who had to play Florida, Georgia & Alabama each season.
So, each time that we complain or make hints of firing bUTch, it ends up harming the program.
That is why we are interested in top coaches but the ones who are interested in us are Mike Leech or Sonny Dykes....... None of the top coaches are interested in our program...
"Top coaches" probably wouldn't leave their job because they're already comfortable where they are. Coaches like Meyer wouldn't go to Tennessee , Texas, Norte Dame, or anywhere else because they're set. But you can bet your ass any other coach would walk to Knoxville for the job. Tennessee, top 10 program of all time.

I am grateful that CBJ has brought us out of the depths of the Dooley dumpster fire, although we are not where we need to be yet in terms of national respect and winning.

If UT has a lackluster season of 7-5 or 8-4 this year, then the general consensus is that CBJ will still be here through '18.

However, the elephant in the room is whether CBJ lobbies for, and is granted, a contract extension beyond 2020 if he coaches UT to a lackluster 2017 season. That is the more pressing question IMO.

They are working hard right now for that extension

I would say yes in as far as just making the decision. Now paying for it and the replacement is what he would have to sell unless he already had that opinion in his pocket.

It's very similar to politics in that regard and UT is a house divided most of the time.

He is not making the decision to fire or hire a football coach at Tennessee without many boosters involved.

"Top coaches" probably wouldn't leave their job because they're already comfortable where they are. Coaches like Meyer wouldn't go to Tennessee , Texas, Norte Dame, or anywhere else because they're set. But you can bet your ass any other coach would walk to Knoxville for the job. Tennessee, top 10 program of all time.

had several coaches which were not interested in even talking about the job during Dooley and Jones searches. especially Dooley.. so no, any other coach will not walk to Knoxville to coach here

Reactions: 3 people
He is not making the decision to fire or hire a football coach at Tennessee without many boosters involved.

Never said he was.

Having said that, boosters have been split more than once with much more difficult decisions on football coaches in the past.

That is a shame. I think you're correct, but it's sad that 5 losses gets him more time.

Where the hell do some of you people come from? Seriously, you haven't made a substantive post on this board since you've been posting. Just go away...

Reactions: 6 people
I could go for this but the only thing that concerns me is his type of offense working in the SEC. It might have worked in the PAC 12 but the defenses in the SEC are much tougher.

Chip is to shady for me and the power he wants he would never get here from the boosters. They love their control.

If we fire him for going 8-5 next year we'll get another Dooley because that is what we'll deserve.

If do it they way they have been it won't matter. You 'll end up with a guy jumping at A check that you hope can sell tixs and tshirts.

Last edited:
If we fire him for going 8-5 next year we'll get another Dooley because that is what we'll deserve.

My faith in them to be able to hire someone not a Dooley type is almost zero. So I agree with your statement..

Chip is to shady for me and the power he wants he would never get here from the boosters. They love their control.

will never hire him with what he would demand to take the job IF we were even interested enough to give him a call which I highly doubt. Don't see them touching him or Briles...

Reactions: 1 person
There is a very limited number of elite coaches and, in the end, that's what dissatisfied Vol fans are wanting.
So out of that limited number, you have to

1. find who wants to be here. Don't throw out the "give them a blank check" stuff, several major universities want those few elite and more than a couple have bigger checks than we do.
They will get paid regardless, UT must also be attractive to them.

2.Are they even willing to sign that kind of check to begin with.

3. I would like to see the replacement's results from the Currie hires he is currently filling.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't care if he finished with the top class in the nation, if he goes 6-6 he can be fired.

I agree, Especially with a brand new AD looking over his shoulder.

That said, I sure hope Butch pulls it all together and has a great season this fall. Said it before....the moment Currie was hired, I immediately started pulling for Butch a little more and I'd much rather see him get it all figured out and have greater success so we don't have to see the new AD hire anybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

We may have to take out a high interest loan with the Alabama Pay for Play Mafia Loan Sharks (AKA Boosters).
**Note this is a much different, more resilient breed of shark than the one violated by Coach McElwain!

This may result in increased injuries to AD and Coaching staff (broken noses and legs).

Would someone please dear god name a freaking coach instead of this mythical proven guy!!!!

For some of these impatient folks the proven guy is Santa Claus. You know, it's the guy that you hire one day and wake up the next day with everything you ever wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back