Sensible JG Observations

This article is a bit silly. Do you think josh dobbs would look bad under pruitt? I seriously doubt it. Some guys just have it and some don't.

I do. As bad as Butch was, he was more of an offensive guy. Pruitt was defensive minded. We can use your logic with JG as well. Do you think JG would have been much better at OSU? I believe so. But we will never know.

I’m not a football coach. I sure as hell don’t make millions of dollars coaching football but even I knew JG was horrible trying to find receivers in tight areas like the red zone. Yet the HC and OC continued to make him throw the the middle of the field inside the 10 yd line. Several interceptions, one returned over 100 yds cost Tennessee the Auburn game, numerous failed drives resulting in FGs. His failures were part him & part coaching.

I’m not a football coach. I sure as hell don’t make millions of dollars coaching football but even I knew JG was horrible trying to find receivers in tight areas like the red zone. Yet the HC and OC continued to make him throw the the middle of the field inside the 10 yd line. Several interceptions, one returned over 100 yds cost Tennessee the Auburn game, numerous failed drives resulting in FGs. His failures were part him & part coaching.

Completely agree.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I'd take Milton every day over JG.

JG was a terrible D1 QB. He might been serviceable in D2 or D3. He will be the best practice squad QB in the history of the NFL that I have no doubt about.
Easily.

Milton is much better avoiding the rush and creating yards on the scramble, even if it's cringe to watch Milton cringe before contact.

After the passing issues, watching JG get caught from behind for a loss by a DL was my biggest frustrations. I don't hold not being a true dual threat QB against JG, but I hold constantly failing to evade the rush and reach the line of scrimmage against him.

Other than the 2019 Vandy game, I can't think of a game where JG kept any drives alive with his legs.

I do. As bad as Butch was, he was more of an offensive guy. Pruitt was defensive minded. We can use your logic with JG as well. Do you think JG would have been much better at OSU? I believe so. But we will never know.

Nope. Dobbs was a game breaker by himself. He maybe wouldn't have looked as good but he would have been a X100 upgrade from JG.

Sorry..... but will never forget the Bama QB sneak. Can't blame the coach for that one. That was all JG.

This and the Georgia game where his team played their hearts out at the half. Then JG came out the 2nd half and literally single handedly shot his team in the head and turned the game into just another blowout loss. However as some have said previously his coaching staff kept trotting him out there when he was similar to a little league pitcher who has blown up.

Reactions: jarnol32
Maybe he’s sought out a psychiatrist and had help. Ainge said the problems were mental and that he was head and shoulders above everyone else in practice. I love a good redemption story and I hope he can fix his issues. I really do hope he can turn it around and show off the skill set that coaches raves about in the practices.

Reactions: sjt18
One thing that nobody will ever know. How good could he have been with proper coaching.

Sadly, very true. We did see flashes in a few games like the Auburn game. I think Pruitt era messed up everybody, one way or another. But I fault the UT administration for that, not Pruitt. Fulmer should have known better after we fell flat on our faces, hiring other Bama saboteurs like Sal Sunseri. Boosters let him do it, so they're not innocent either. I don't think he tried hard enough to locate a real coach at the time, but then again, his options might have been limited as the UT was sort of a last place a genuine coach would want to come to. Still, I think if JG had, dare I say it, someone even of Kiffin's QB coaching caliber, he'd have performed better. Not that I'd want Kiffin back here, but you get the idea of what I'm saying. There's a lot that was beyond JG's control, which his haters are choosing to overlook so they can justify the perpetual hating on the guy. I kept hoping he'd turn it around, but I too reached a point where I wanted either Brian or Harrison, maybe even a RB than JG. Just the same, I never lost sight of the reality of the circumstances he operated under, so never reached the level of out-and-out disdain for him. Sadly, we have some VN'ers here who live to Vol-hate certain players. I do hope in the NFL he blooms into a first-rate QB who lights up opponents, just to see the fine Christian holier than thous Poop-faced.

One thing that nobody will ever know. How good could he have been with proper coaching.
That gets repeated over and over. He was coached by MULTIPLE OC's and QB coaches... plus QB consultants with track records of success before they coached him and often after. Other than HIS poor performance what evidence is there that he was improperly coached? How much more supportive could Jones or Pruitt have been with a QB who wasn't getting the job done?

The only obvious "improper" coaching was that he was not replaced after repeatedly showing he couldn't get it done when the lights came on. Jones and Pruitt did what 95% of coaches would do. They chose and then stuck with the guy who performed best in practice. Honestly you can't choose your starters and depth players any other way at the beginning. But there has to come a time when you realize a guy can't take practice to game day. Even if you have to let the replacement make some OJT mistakes... you can't stick with a guy who has hit a ceiling well below where he needs to be.

please-god-just-let-this-end.gif

That gets repeated over and over. He was coached by MULTIPLE OC's and QB coaches... plus QB consultants with track records of success before they coached him and often after. Other than HIS poor performance what evidence is there that he was improperly coached? How much more supportive could Jones or Pruitt have been with a QB who wasn't getting the job done?

The only obvious "improper" coaching was that he was not replaced after repeatedly showing he couldn't get it done when the lights came on. Jones and Pruitt did what 95% of coaches would do. They chose and then stuck with the guy who performed best in practice. Honestly you can't choose your starters and depth players any other way at the beginning. But there has to come a time when you realize a guy can't take practice to game day. Even if you have to let the replacement make some OJT mistakes... you can't stick with a guy who has hit a ceiling well below where he needs to be.

Right. There was absolutely no way he would have been any better playing at OSU or Bama. Why you love conjecture is beyond me.

Right. There was absolutely no way he would have been any better playing at OSU or Bama. Why you love conjecture is beyond me.
Right. There was absolutely no way that his name would have been buried on the depth chart for both of those teams. You accusing someone else of "loving conjecture"? Your WHOLE IRRATIONAL SCHTICK is built on the idea that if only one of the 6 to 10 professionals who tried to correct what was wrong with JG had not sucked at their job... he would have been great. All of those who worked with him have successes on their resumes. He does not.

If hating makes your heart grow fonder, have at it.
Hating?
Nah, just annoyance with a player that was the catalyst of sinking my Vols further than they have ever been. He got TWO HC coaches fired at one school.

What's to glorify about that??

Why are you bringing him up as if he did anything to elevate the University of Tennessee?

I honestly believe that JG's issues stem from the beating he took early on and that it got into his head that he was about to get hit and panicked. There is no doubt that he took quite a beating and that no one can question his toughness.

Pruitt always said that he was great in practice, I think that may have to do with the fact that he was never worried about getting hit during practice and he showed what he was capable of doing. That however, did not transfer to the actual games where getting hit was a real possibility.

There was never any need to hate on him as it was Pruitt that kept sending him out there.
I heard Butch went live with him in every practice as a freshman. No one on the team could block Barnett. Barnett put him in a coma just about every practice. The running back that told me that, said Butch wanted to toughin him up, but taking a blind side hit every day apparently. That's obviously second hand, but it seemed believable.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Hating?
Nah, just annoyance with a player that was the catalyst of sinking my Vols further than they have ever been. He got TWO HC coaches fired at one school.

What's to glorify about that??

Why are you bringing him up as if he did anything to elevate the University of Tennessee?

Because other hate posts were made in the Cardinals Will Trot... thread. So, I didn't bring it up, I responded to it. And since it rankles you, I suggest you Elsa my JG posts. That way, the coldness won't bother you.

VN Store

Back