Senators Call for the Grounding of the 737 MAX

This grounding is political and has nothing to do with safety.
That was part facetious and part serious. If Trump is going to exert his authori-TIE and ground aircraft, then he needs to make sure the NTSB gets the data they need. The EASA shouldn't usurp the NTSB for a US company. The engines are joint venture SNECMA's (Safran/GE) but the airframe is US. This isn't an engine problem but an airframe sensor issue.

That was part facetious and part serious. If Trump is going to exert his authori-TIE and ground aircraft, then he needs to make sure the NTSB gets the data they need. The EASA shouldn't usurp the NTSB for a US company. The engines are joint venture SNECMA's (Safran/GE) but the airframe is US. This isn't an engine problem but an airframe sensor issue.

I agree.

Just had somebody in my office and we were saying the same thing. This is purely political. Is the plane safe? I’d guess it is as long as it’s being operated by a pilot(s) who can properly process the data and their situation and react accordingly.

The commercial aviation industry is somewhat screwed. Somebody will always provide a better idiot if you make something idiot proof. And it is literally their job to make airplanes idiot proof. The average idiot grade for a pilot flying on a commercial carrier in North America or Europe is pretty freaking low.

Remember when Boeing's competitor was debuting their latest and greatest plane at the French air show and they came in for a low fly by and then crashed? It was a software glitch that thought the plane was coming in for a landing and when they pulled up to go around the software said "hell no you are landing and we're going to land". And land they did right into the trees at the end of the runway.
Software is only as good as the programmer and the person say how thing need to happen.

Remember when Boeing's competitor was debuting their latest and greatest plane at the French air show and they came in for a low fly by and then crashed? It was a software glitch that thought the plane was coming in for a landing and when they pulled up to go around the software said "hell no you are landing and we're going to land". And land they did right into the trees at the end of the runway.
Software is only as good as the programmer and the person say how thing need to happen.
This may be what you're referring to.

Reactions: VolStrom
Was on a flight test today and talking this over with the flight crew. (Talking about plane crashes... while on a plane 🤦‍♂️).

One said he has read the pilot in command got it stable and level briefly at 15k ft. But then it went into oscillations and departed controlled flight. Will be interesting to see if that narrative hold true. If the pilot got it under control and then did lose it that’s pretty foreboding. How could he lose it again after recognizing, responding, and saving it.

I think I prefer well trained pilots over automated safety features. Cars, where 50% of drivers are bad, automation makes sense.

This sounds like a case of safer, safer, safer, when the right answer was to stick to what has worked pretty well for the last couple of decades.

I know a couple machine operators such as yourself. Both said he would have been toast if 1 passenger had been hurt, none were so he was made out to be a hero instead of a goat.
meh. maybe. As long as you follow company policy/procedures, my company will back you. Color outside the lines, and you can find yourself on an island.

What are you talking about hog, your whole business is meeting regulations set out by the government.

Not as much as you think it is. Our clients are becoming more and more proactive about maintenance.

Here's a good example of how screwed up a government regulation can be.

I hired a another contractor to clean out and restore a stormwater pond outside of Chicago (was not government mandated). We filed the application and paperwork for a beneficial reuse permit to send the excavated silt and debris for recycling instead of disposal after about 4 weeks it still wasn't approved but I was told it should be signed off within a couple days. There was a snow storm coming in so my contractor went ahead and started hauling the waste on a Thu to beat the snow, permit was signed on the following Monday. Now IL is telling us that debris has to removed from the landfarm and taken to a disposal facility not because it is contaminated but because it was hauled a couple days before the permit was signed. No consideration for the fact they sat on the application for weeks, had to beat the storm or it would have sat another couple weeks (costing money) or the whole project was voluntary and not mandated.

Not as much as you think it is. Our clients are becoming more and more proactive about maintenance.

Here's a good example of how screwed up a government regulation can be.

I hired a another contractor to clean out and restore a stormwater pond outside of Chicago (was not government mandated). We filed the application and paperwork for a beneficial reuse permit to send the excavated silt and debris for recycling instead of disposal after about 4 weeks it still wasn't approved but I was told it should be signed off within a couple days. There was a snow storm coming in so my contractor went ahead and started hauling the waste on a Thu to beat the snow, permit was signed on the following Monday. Now IL is telling us that debris has to removed from the landfarm and taken to a disposal facility not because it is contaminated but because it was hauled a couple days before the permit was signed. No consideration for the fact they sat on the application for weeks, had to beat the storm or it would have sat another couple weeks (costing money) or the whole project was voluntary and not mandated.
Your own fault.

Not arguing it isn't, just pointing out the hindrance .gov can be along with how unreasonable they tend to be.
And also how punitive they are when you don’t wait on their inefficient slow useless asses to finally get around to letting you do what you wound up doing anyway because you knew more about the problem than their idiot asses.

VN Store

Back