SECs #1 OL group returning, #2 QB group, #1 defensive backfield returning...

I hate to be that guy, but this is a show me year for CJP. Don’t get me wrong, 9-4 is not the end of the world but VOLS need to make some noise next year. Blow out losses to UF, BAMA, & UGA need to be a thing of the past for starters. It would also be nice not to be out of the running for the SECE by the time October is over either. Simply put, Pruitt needs to be competing for the east in year 3. Butch was held to this standard in this third year. We need to beat at least one of UF, UGA, Bama, or OU next year. Go VOLS.

I disagree, with the off season moves thus far....CJP should be able to beat 2 of those 4! If this Oline stays healthy through OU and UF we could win both! And see bamer undefeated!!!!
It's obvious that CJPs past treatment of recruited players, wherever he has been, is getting around! Recruited, current and transfers players are telling the story. Something special is happening at TENNESSEE! I'm just glad we are here to watch it happen!!!!

Myles Brennan will light it up for LSU next year in that offense. Mac Jones will be fine too. QB is actually one of our biggest questions going into 2020 even with a 5th year senior with a ton of starts potentially returning.

#1 STs group returning, a solid LB and DL grouping, adequate RB and WR core on the roster. This is easily the best roster we have fielded since Fulmer. There is gonna be some insane competition for playing time this spring. Any incoming freshmen that doesn't enroll early is going to find it tough to see the field.

Only way we have second most talent is if you count the fact we probably have the most QBs in the roster. No one has done much on our roster.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
I could see that. I just believe with the talent we have coming back at OL it's going to benefit our QBs. Everyone knows JGs faults but he has shown that when given time to throw he can be pretty good. I think he's gonna have all day to throw next year!

Jg had plenty of time to throw this year, can't fault the ol on not giving him enough time.

If coaches decide to RS Bailey, then that means they do not feel he is ready to be under center in the SEC & the other QBs give us a better chance to win. We will then find out if our offensive staff know how to develop QBs. JG took a small step this year in his development but not enough for him to be the starter in 2020. There is going to be an open competition no doubt. I may be in the minority, but I am not sold on or really impressed with BM one bit at this point. Not saying he can’t get better though. I think many fans got too excited with his half of good play against UGA. Have not seen enough of Shrout to form an opinion. Would be surprised if Holiday stays at QB in all honesty. Whoever the QB is next year, the offensive numbers need to increase big time. RB play will depend on the progression of the OL.

If Holiday can just be an average passer he is the type of qb we need, a true duel threat. But he has to be at least average in passing though.

Something interesting i thought. And did some research on....against FLA,UK, and UGA. We ran plays at a 59-41 pass/run split for BM.....? Bama and MSU. We focus on the run Almost 65%....the play calling for JG ran at 44-56 pass/run for the season...

Knowing this my concern is shouldnt the play calling be switched between BM and JG???

Also will it really matter which QB starts in 2020 if the play calling is pass heavy for freshman/sophmore and run heavy for the 5th yr SR??

Its run heavy for jg because they know he can't pass downfield consistantly.

I disagree, with the off season moves thus far....CJP should be able to beat 2 of those 4! If this Oline stays healthy through OU and UF we could win both! And see bamer undefeated!!!!
It's obvious that CJPs past treatment of recruited players, wherever he has been, is getting around! Recruited, current and transfers players are telling the story. Something special is happening at TENNESSEE! I'm just glad we are here to watch it happen!!!!

My only concern is qb play. I think in all the other areas we can be competitive with anyone.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I think we'll be okay at WR and RB.

QB is the difference between 6-6 and 10-2 next year. Let's hope the competition and optimism clicks for everyone.

10-2 means we went .500 with Oklahoma at Norman, Florida at Home, Bama at Home and UGA in Athens.

And I'll bet however much anyone wants to bet that we don't even go 500 vs the spread in those 4 games.

To get to 10 wins at all next year we have to beat one of those 4, win a bowl....and that will be VERY difficult.

And let's not loose sight of the possiblity that Kentucky should be better next year with a real QB on their roster, South Carolina will be improved and Arkansas will be a wild card with a first year head coach.

Next year would be a successful year if we went 8-5 again.

This years schedule was our best chance to win 10 until realistically 2021...and it wont be easy then.

At best, we have the 5th most talent in the SEC and we are probably 7th. Tap the brakes a little bit....
Experience is the variable. How many years have we returned this level of talent and experience on the Oline and Dline? I can’t recall. Being good in the trenches can make up for a lot of other areas. RB is going to be deep. There is talent at WR. Gibbs, Keyton, and Palmer is solid.

I still think Banks is coming back and will start at one of the LB spots.
it’s easy to feel like a whipped dog. I didn’t believe for a minute that Trey was coming back or that Mays would transfer. Those are things that just didn’t go your way in the decade of despair. But, all of the sudden.........

I don't think there is any pressure on him at all. I think JG will start out as starter and I think HB will get used the way BM was this season. The difference in HB and BM is that I believe HBs size will allow him to make it through a whole game where as Maurer can't finish a half.
Yes this is true but you also have a dramatic increase in football IQ and a superior arm. The kid really is a total package for a pro style qb. Instead of forcing throws like BM has a tendency to do on his first read this kid is savvy enough to go through his progression and throw it away of all else fails.

Assuming Cade is eligible, we should have a great starting OL. However, depth will be an issue if and when injuries start occurring.

Hmmmm. Innerstin'. I wouldn't mind seeing it. But I'll take the guy(s) who can get us to ATL.

Well, if we win the SECe, we're automatically Athens-bound. We're going to be the autumn people.
By the prickling of my thumb, something orange this way comes.

Reactions: I40flyer
Assuming Cade is eligible, we should have a great starting OL. However, depth will be an issue if and when injuries start occurring.
We have 4 former starters as back ups if injuries become a problem. Carvin, Calbert, Jahmir Johnson, Locklear. Not to mention Akporghene and Lampley will be redshirt freshman with no reason to think they won’t be able to contribute. So pumped that we’ll be able to redshirt Cooper, Spraggins and Robinson

There are close to 20 NFL players to be on next years roster, we've closed the talent gap significantly as compared to the big boys of the SEC. The most impressive thing Pruitt has done so far is the way he's flipped the roster in 2 short years.
Amen to that! He filled the holes with the proper talent and depth and there were a many!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If Holiday can just be an average passer he is the type of qb we need, a true duel threat. But he has to be at least average in passing though.
Holiday will play wr, and at most may have a wild cat package. He won’t be a qb at this level, I look for him to realize this during spring practice just like Jennings did.

VN Store

Back