SECs #1 OL group returning, #2 QB group, #1 defensive backfield returning...

The South Carolina QB is just average at best and in no way a difference maker. I'll take our Blue Chip 6'5 230 lb QB coming in over Bamas 5'10 180 pounder.
PVF, our starting QB was schizo, one of the backups most likely will transfer, we've got a grad transfer that we don't know what he's like and an incoming freshman. If that's #2 in the SEC the SEC SUCKS for QB's right now.

A lot of pressure for the young man considering he hasn’t played a down of collegiate football.
I don't think there is any pressure on him at all. I think JG will start out as starter and I think HB will get used the way BM was this season. The difference in HB and BM is that I believe HBs size will allow him to make it through a whole game where as Maurer can't finish a half.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
PVF, our starting QB was schizo, one of the backups most likely will transfer, we've got a grad transfer that we don't know what he's like and an incoming freshman. If that's #2 in the SEC the SEC SUCKS for QB's right now.
Yes, the SEC QB group as a whole is going to be weak next season.

Yes, I believe we have the #2 QB room in the SEC going into spring practice behind only Fl. Mond at A&M is just ok, Nix at Auburn just decent, after those 2 there isn't anybody else even close. Al will be decent but that's just because of all the talent of their supporting class. I would not trade our QB room with any team in the conference.
But you still think UT can win with JG's very inconsistent play and fatal flaws.... against pretty strong evidence to the contrary. As a RS Jr he had a month to prepare for a mid-major caliber D... and laid an egg. That's following the awful performance against Vandy. It isn't the bad performances that are the anomalies. It is the sporadic games like Auburn and Mizzou.

I don't see UT's QB room as #2 based on established performance. I like the potential shown by Maurer and Shrout. But neither proved they were ready to be SEC starters this past year. The new guys are an unknown. Hill may become a really good QB but was middling at Maryland. JG just is what he is... and it isn't good enough.

I don't think there is any pressure on him at all. I think JG will start out as starter and I think HB will get used the way BM was this season. The difference in HB and BM is that I believe HBs size will allow him to make it through a whole game where as Maurer can't finish a half.
You have continued to make this argument though you MUST know how ridiculous it is. If HB gets dropped on his head... his height and weight won't save him from a head/neck injury. It could make it worse.

You simply don't like Maurer. At this point, you'd look better if you just admitted it.

Bama has Mac Jones returning...whos far more efficient than anything on our roster had shown. He beat Michigan. Then they little Tagavailoa and the probably the best player of the 2020 class in Bryce Young.

Mond is trash

Florida has a good group like you mentioned.

Leach will get those Miss State QBs improved.

I wouldn't put us 2nd....maybe 4th?
I could see that. I just believe with the talent we have coming back at OL it's going to benefit our QBs. Everyone knows JGs faults but he has shown that when given time to throw he can be pretty good. I think he's gonna have all day to throw next year!

Reactions: LittleVol
Yes, I believe we have the #2 QB room in the SEC going into spring practice behind only Fl. Mond at A&M is just ok, Nix at Auburn just decent, after those 2 there isn't anybody else even close. Al will be decent but that's just because of all the talent of their supporting class. I would not trade our QB room with any team in the conference.

Bama has Tua's brother and Mac Jones played very well this year.
Ole Miss has Plumlee

Also, Mond and Nix played exorbitantly better than any QB on our roster did in 2019.

Look, I'm a huge Bailey fan I'm intrigued by the talent we have at the QB position at this time. And maybe collectively, we do have the most talent in the league at the position, but these guys lack actual production very sorely. Let's tap the brakes a bit here.

Not to mention other movements are still to come on the graduate transfer front. Let's hope no team in the east ends up with Newman, Costello, or King (if he goes in the portal).

Reactions: peaygolf and Teeman
Bama has Mac Jones returning...whos far more efficient than anything on our roster had shown. He beat Michigan. Then they little Tagavailoa and the probably the best player of the 2020 class in Bryce Young.

Mond is trash

Florida has a good group like you mentioned.

Leach will get those Miss State QBs improved.

I wouldn't put us 2nd....maybe 4th?

I was thinking 4th or 5th at best at this point, depending on if UGA gets one of the big grad transfers or not.

Reactions: LittleVol

Some of your reasoning has absolutely 0 basis. It’s not like Maurer suffered dings and bumps due to his size this year. He was dropped on his head. A nasty landing that anyone would have probably been hurt by. Concussions are a pretty serious thing now days.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You don't ever post anything positive about the Vols so most of us could care less what your opinion is.
I'm serious. We have the most QB's. Georgia has the least. Thus WE > Ga!!

I actually agree with your OL and RB analysis though..too bad none of that really helps fix the glaring issue at QB.

And lets not forget on the offensive side of the ball UT was terrible nationally..

Last edited:
Some of your reasoning has absolutely 0 basis. It’s not like Maurer suffered dings and bumps due to his size this year. He was dropped on his head. A nasty landing that anyone would have probably been hurt by. Concussions are a pretty serious thing now days.
I don't care how he got injured, he started 4 games and whether by injury or performance he did not finish a single game, much less finish a game with a W.

I could see that. I just believe with the talent we have coming back at OL it's going to benefit our QBs. Everyone knows JGs faults but he has shown that when given time to throw he can be pretty good. I think he's gonna have all day to throw next year!
He had plenty of time this year. The pass protection was NOT a problem. He was one of the slowest QB's in the SEC delivering the ball. The problem is his ability to process and throw... not the amount of time he has to throw. More time at this point would mean plays made after the design breaks down. JG has never shown himself to be good at those.

You want to believe the guy is something his play shows he's not.

I don't care how he got injured, he started 4 games and whether by injury or performance he did not finish a single game, much less finish a game with a W.
Right. Because you simply don't like him. Just admit it and be done with it. You make all kinds of excuses for JG. Being dropped on your head is a pretty good reason to be injured... and kind of a "freak" thing. But you want to blow that injury up into something much larger. A freak head/neck injury does not prove that a guy is injury prone OR not "big enough".

Maurer could be prone to concussions. That is a possibility and it would end his career. But that has nothing to do with size or time spent in the weight room. It is primarily a function of the body he was born with.

You really need to get past that. You have some decent insights from time to time... your line of Maurer hate detracts.

And why did he as a freshmen have to start those games? Because JG is below average. That’s why. He gave us a spark coming into a few of those. He also made the best throw of the night versus IU to the sideline to convert a 3rd and long. His flashes as a freshmen were far superior of JG. If he can hone skills and settle down this off season you can write JG a goodbye love letter.

I'm serious. We have the most QB's. Georgia has the least. Thus WE > Ga!!

I actually agree with your OL and RB analysis though..too bad none of that really helps fix the glaring issue at QB.

And lets not forget on the offensive side of the ball UT was terrible nationally..

Start HB if he is on par with JG.

VN Store

Back