SECs #1 OL group returning, #2 QB group, #1 defensive backfield returning...

Speaking of areas for improvement...Don’t forget we have a below average punter that hurt us a couple of times this year...either he needs to eat his wheeties or we need another punter that can kick consistently 40+ yard punts!
I think I get what you're saying about consistency but Paxton had 30 punts with a 42 yard average in 2019. He did have some untimely mishaps I believe is what you are pointing out though.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
#1 STs group returning, a solid LB and DL grouping, adequate RB and WR core on the roster. This is easily the best roster we have fielded since Fulmer. There is gonna be some insane competition for playing time this spring. Any incoming freshmen that doesn't enroll early is going to find it tough to see the field.
#2 Qb group. Great, I did not know JG had entered the transfer portal. This is my 2nd favorite day on Volnation after yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMSqb11
Speaking of areas for improvement...Don’t forget we have a below average punter that hurt us a couple of times this year...either he needs to eat his wheeties or we need another punter that can kick consistently 40+ yard punts!
Pretty sure he entered the transfer portal. But yeah, UT punting was bad. Brooks was better than Doyle but neither was good.

Yes. Per my previous post the QB situation falls on CJP. He put all of his eggs in the JG basket and didn’t spend nearly enough time getting BM or JTS ready as risk mitigation. I know BM got hurt but he could have given him more reps in garbage time in earlier games, ie, Chatt, etc.
IMO, the bigger thing was the off-season. I think they poured most of their resources into JG.

I'm not sure how much a few more hand offs early would have helped Maurer. He wasn't ready. The only way he could have been ready is if they had focused on him all summer. I know everyone gets reps and all that. But the starter is treated differently by both the coaches and players.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I think its ridiculous for you to say him being bigger and stronger wouldn't have prevented him from the type of injury he sustained. If he's bigger and stronger he might not have been "thrown" up in the air to be "dropped" on his head. Maybe he gets bounced off of instead. Lol, who knows, which is my point.
You're reaching.... badly.

Same can be said about you and others when it comes to JG.
Lots of things can be said that aren't true. I was glad when I thought I might have to eat some crow. I gave him praise for looking like he'd gotten it together. It was kind of a relief to think that maybe that problem was solved until some guys could be developed to replace him.

I'm not sure he dislikes Maurer or you dislike JG.
I'll deny I dislike JG. I like him fine. I just don't have confidence in him and believe he has reached his ceiling with a few fatal flaws remaining. I do not believe I've seen Pulaski give Maurer credit for anything. And yeah, it is still ridiculous to say someone could prevent concussions with time in the weight room. Hopefully it isn't something that ends Maurer's career but it could be.

I think y'all just don't like each other. Haha.
He makes some good points from time to time. He's liked some of my posts. We disagree pretty sharply over JG though.

I don't like k-town. I've been here a long time. I can only remember a couple of others that I "didn't like". He's special.

If coaches decide to RS Bailey, then that means they do not feel he is ready to be under center in the SEC & the other QBs give us a better chance to win. We will then find out if our offensive staff know how to develop QBs. JG took a small step this year in his development but not enough for him to be the starter in 2020. There is going to be an open competition no doubt. I may be in the minority, but I am not sold on or really impressed with BM one bit at this point. Not saying he can’t get better though. I think many fans got too excited with his half of good play against UGA. Have not seen enough of Shrout to form an opinion. Would be surprised if Holiday stays at QB in all honesty. Whoever the QB is next year, the offensive numbers need to increase big time. RB play will depend on the progression of the OL.
Shrout has the arm. He hasn't developed mentally. He doesn't have instincts like Maurer. Neither manages the O as well as JG but that is something that can be remedied during the off season with film study.

Maurer makes too many mistakes. If he doesn't get past that... he can never be the guy. He showed in flashes that he can give you a very high level of play... but the mistakes can't be tolerated. Before his injury, he succeeded with raw talent and moxie. The secret to his success... and failures... was confidence. He was a different player vs UK. He looked tentative and didn't seem to have the same confidence. 1vol8 thinks he was just rusty. Seemed like more than that to me. He has talent. He's smart enough. He's said to be a gym rat who soaks up coaching. But he's definitely at a crossroads. Outside of Holiday, BM is probably the best athlete.

Hill could be the surprise guy who gets UT from JG to HB if no one steps up and they need time for HB to develop.

Agree on Holiday. He didn't show the arm the others have in his highlights or the one game I saw portions of. If they keep him at QB then he's a 3 year project in all likelihood. He'd risk being recruited over. I think UT could find a lot of ways to use him though including as a wildcat QB.

Op o live the enthusiasm but dear god man...if we roll jg out there to start the season at qb (as I suspect we will)...we will likely be playing the worst qb in the sec. and that’s no exaggeration. I don’t understand how it’s possible for jg be so bad based on his recruiting rating and experience, but o see what I see. This could be the best TN team we’ve had in years but we all need to hope and pray that Harrison bailey is our QB next year. It’s literally impossible for him to be any worse than Jg and if all things are equal we need to play the freshman due to the fact that he’ll improve every game

Reactions: Big Al Orange
If that’s the case, then #2 quarterbacks is laughable. Florida is better, Alabama has Jones who is better than anyone on our roster and a Freshman coming in that lit up the all star game. South Carolina has a starter that rivals anyone we have.

Jones is better than anyone on our roster? What a ridiculous thing to say. Jones in Alabama’s system, behind that line, perhaps, but talent-wise? Measurables? Athletic ability? Objectively false and theorized to be a symptom of BVS.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
Putting my neck waaaayyyy out there, not that it's anything new. Hill is going to rise to the top and make us a very surprising contender for the SECe.

Hmmmm. Innerstin'. I wouldn't mind seeing it. But I'll take the guy(s) who can get us to ATL.

I don't think I have ever seen Pulaski answer this point. Maurer wasn't ready. He was a Fr prone to Fr mistakes. UT put him out there out of desperation. The staff realized JG was hurting the team.

PS- JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent.
After three years this is a pathetic stat.

Reactions: cgrish
Something interesting i thought. And did some research on....against FLA,UK, and UGA. We ran plays at a 59-41 pass/run split for BM.....? Bama and MSU. We focus on the run Almost 65%....the play calling for JG ran at 44-56 pass/run for the season...

Knowing this my concern is shouldnt the play calling be switched between BM and JG???

Also will it really matter which QB starts in 2020 if the play calling is pass heavy for freshman/sophmore and run heavy for the 5th yr SR??

Reactions: 1vol8
#1 STs group returning, a solid LB and DL grouping, adequate RB and WR core on the roster. This is easily the best roster we have fielded since Fulmer. There is gonna be some insane competition for playing time this spring. Any incoming freshmen that doesn't enroll early is going to find it tough to see the field.
If Guarantano is starting we are somewhere around 9-11 in the qb pecking order of the conference. He has proven over and over that he can’t play the position.

Something interesting i thought. And did some research on....against FLA,UK, and UGA. We ran plays at a 59-41 pass/run split for BM.....? Bama and MSU. We focus on the run Almost 65%....the play calling for JG ran at 44-56 pass/run for the season...

Knowing this my concern is shouldnt the play calling be switched between BM and JG???

Also will it really matter which QB starts in 2020 if the play calling is pass heavy for freshman/sophmore and run heavy for the 5th yr SR??
It’s run heavy for the guy that the play caller doesn’t believe can move the ball through the air. Guarantano is not even an average qb. I really hope the coaching staff has confidence in Harrison Bailey and names him starter, it’s been 3 years and Guarantano is still a bad sec qb, it’s time to move on.

PVF, our starting QB was schizo, one of the backups most likely will transfer, we've got a grad transfer that we don't know what he's like and an incoming freshman. If that's #2 in the SEC the SEC SUCKS for QB's right now.
The SEC sucks for QBs right now ... as long as right now is after 01-13-20.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

Everyone just needs to tap the brakes. We’re in the middle of a 4 year rebuild. We have some good starters. We need depth. I also expect us to get better every year, but we’re a good ways from being in the conversation as a top tier SEC team.

VN Store

Back