SECs #1 OL group returning, #2 QB group, #1 defensive backfield returning...

And why did he as a freshmen have to start those games? Because JG is below average. That’s why. He gave us a spark coming into a few of those. He also made the best throw of the night versus IU to the sideline to convert a 3rd and long. His flashes as a freshmen were far superior of JG. If he can hone skills and settle down this off season you can write JG a goodbye love letter.
I don't think I have ever seen Pulaski answer this point. Maurer wasn't ready. He was a Fr prone to Fr mistakes. UT put him out there out of desperation. The staff realized JG was hurting the team.

PS- JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent.

You have continued to make this argument though you MUST know how ridiculous it is. If HB gets dropped on his head... his height and weight won't save him from a head/neck injury. It could make it worse.

You simply don't like Maurer. At this point, you'd look better if you just admitted it.

Why is it so ridiculous to think someone bigger and stronger might not get injured as often? I get youre using Maurer being "dropped on his head" as the rule, but just because someone is bigger doesn't necessarily mean he'd be hurt worse.

If you're using this information to conclude he just doesn't like Maurer, I'd say you and others hate JG.

Lol, its funny/interesting what "crawls up our ass".

Why is it so ridiculous to think someone bigger and stronger might not get injured as often? I get youre using Maurer being "dropped on his head" as the rule, but just because someone is bigger doesn't necessarily mean he'd be hurt worse.

If you're using this information to conclude he just doesn't like Maurer, I'd say you and others hate JG.

Lol, its funny/interesting what "crawls up our ass".

Slow down VN.

6 qb's mean nothing. If your first two qb's are not above avg. , 6 qb's is just wasted scholarships. We have to have 2 qb's that are better than avg. in order to make a run at SECE.

the question is - DO WE HAVE 2 QB'S THAT ARE BETTER THAN AVG? not at this point.

Start HB if he is on par with JG.
Or Maurer, Shrout, Hill, or Holiday.... I don't care who as much as I care "what". I want UT to have a leader at QB who makes plays and produces points. I'll take a Dobbs. I'll take a Wuerrfel. I'll take a Bray... or an Ainge. I'll take PeeWee Herman if he can put points on the board. But it is time to cut bait with JG.

The D has come along. From where the Vols were when Pruitt arrived to where they are on the OL... is absolutely incredible. I wonder if there is any other program that could well start four 5* OL's with a 4* 6th year center? There's quality size and depth behind them. The defensive improvements are both visible and statistical facts. UT will still have great talent at WR.

The question marks are QB and to a lesser extent RB.

Why is it so ridiculous to think someone bigger and stronger might not get injured as often?
It isn't. But the kinds of injuries that being bigger and stronger help with... were not the kinds of injuries that kept Maurer from completing games.

I get youre using Maurer being "dropped on his head" as the rule, but just because someone is bigger doesn't necessarily mean he'd be hurt worse.
No. I'm pointing out that it is an exception and not the rule. Pulaski is the one suggesting that if Maurer weighed 220 rather than 200... he wouldn't have had the injury he suffered vs MSU.

It is one indicator out of several. The guy simply doesn't like Maurer. He finds a way to nitpick him and undercut him regardless.

Looking back at the season, I think Maurer and Shrout have physical talent and potential. Neither came close to what UT needs at QB. JG though is pretty much a finished product... and isn't close to what UT needs.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Still think we wont be where we wanna be until 2021. (We might get to 9-4 with bowl game in 20). Just too many concerns (DL, WR, QB, TE) to go completely overboard in 20.

I hate to be that guy, but this is a show me year for CJP. Don’t get me wrong, 9-4 is not the end of the world but VOLS need to make some noise next year. Blow out losses to UF, BAMA, & UGA need to be a thing of the past for starters. It would also be nice not to be out of the running for the SECE by the time October is over either. Simply put, Pruitt needs to be competing for the east in year 3. Butch was held to this standard in this third year. We need to beat at least one of UF, UGA, Bama, or OU next year. Go VOLS.

Pulaski likes to paint this argument as a love/hate for certain players. I think I can speak for most when I say it’s not that. I’m a grown man with family, a home, and a job. I dont have the time or desire to hate a 18-22 year old kid for his football play. However I have eyeballs and can point out the obvious. JG is not a QB that can get us to the next level. We stand nothing to gain by trotting him out next year if one of the others can be just as average with a higher ceiling. JG has shown his ceiling. I appreciate his attitude this year, especially after the bama game. However, that feel good story doesn’t fix anything for his lack of talent as a QB that can compete in the upper SEC.

It’s not about the name on these kid’s jerseys for me. It’s about UT football. I want to get back to teams fearing us on Saturdays. It’s where we should be with the resources UT has, and where we should want to be as a fanbase. I won’t apologize for wanting to be more than a bowl eligible team who can beat SEC bottom feeders every year. I want more for the program. JG has shown he just can’t do that. Simple as that.

Or Maurer, Shrout, Hill, or Holiday.... I don't care who as much as I care "what". I want UT to have a leader at QB who makes plays and produces points. I'll take a Dobbs. I'll take a Wuerrfel. I'll take a Bray... or an Ainge. I'll take PeeWee Herman if he can put points on the board. But it is time to cut bait with JG.

The D has come along. From where the Vols were when Pruitt arrived to where they are on the OL... is absolutely incredible. I wonder if there is any other program that could well start four 5* OL's with a 4* 6th year center? There's quality size and depth behind them. The defensive improvements are both visible and statistical facts. UT will still have great talent at WR.

If coaches decide to RS Bailey, then that means they do not feel he is ready to be under center in the SEC & the other QBs give us a better chance to win. We will then find out if our offensive staff know how to develop QBs. JG took a small step this year in his development but not enough for him to be the starter in 2020. There is going to be an open competition no doubt. I may be in the minority, but I am not sold on or really impressed with BM one bit at this point. Not saying he can’t get better though. I think many fans got too excited with his half of good play against UGA. Have not seen enough of Shrout to form an opinion. Would be surprised if Holiday stays at QB in all honesty. Whoever the QB is next year, the offensive numbers need to increase big time. RB play will depend on the progression of the OL.

Reactions: sjt18 and RollerVol
Putting my neck waaaayyyy out there, not that it's anything new. Hill is going to rise to the top and make us a very surprising contender for the SECe.

Attachments

• StarHawk.jpg
    StarHawk.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: whodeycin85
been down so long it's beginning to look like up to me...

PS. already one of the best off season's ever...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

It isn't. But the kinds of injuries that being bigger and stronger help with... were not the kinds of injuries that kept Maurer from completing games.

No. I'm pointing out that it is an exception and not the rule. Pulaski is the one suggesting that if Maurer weighed 220 rather than 200... he wouldn't have had the injury he suffered vs MSU.

It is one indicator out of several. The guy simply doesn't like Maurer. He finds a way to nitpick him and undercut him regardless.

Looking back at the season, I think Maurer and Shrout have physical talent and potential. Neither came close to what UT needs at QB. JG though is pretty much a finished product... and isn't close to what UT needs.

I think its ridiculous for you to say him being bigger and stronger wouldn't have prevented him from the type of injury he sustained. If he's bigger and stronger he might not have been "thrown" up in the air to be "dropped" on his head. Maybe he gets bounced off of instead. Lol, who knows, which is my point.

Same can be said about you and others when it comes to JG. I don't care, I just know you like to argue. I'm not sure he dislikes Maurer or you dislike JG. I think y'all just don't like each other. Haha.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think we'll be okay at WR and RB.

QB is the difference between 6-6 and 10-2 next year. Let's hope the competition and optimism clicks for everyone.

Yes. I wish we would have resolved the QB issue last year. Would be a shame to waste a great OL and solid backs in inconsistent QB play next year. JGs regression the last 2 games kind of forces us to start all over again. I wish BM and JTS had gotten more reps and experience so we could better evaluate who the starter should be. Now we are forced to put all of our eggs in one basket in terms of a best case——HB lights it up and wins the job as a freshman.

#1 STs group returning, a solid LB and DL grouping, adequate RB and WR core on the roster. This is easily the best roster we have fielded since Fulmer. There is gonna be some insane competition for playing time this spring. Any incoming freshmen that doesn't enroll early is going to find it tough to see the field.
Best collective roster, but let's not get carried away with #2 QB group...maybe right now, but if we stay status quo, we won't be by the end of the year. UNBELIEVABLE OL...may not have to pass that often, paired w/ stout D, puts us in the fray, for sure.

I don't think I have ever seen Pulaski answer this point. Maurer wasn't ready. He was a Fr prone to Fr mistakes. UT put him out there out of desperation. The staff realized JG was hurting the team.

PS- JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent.

Yes. Per my previous post the QB situation falls on CJP. He put all of his eggs in the JG basket and didn’t spend nearly enough time getting BM or JTS ready as risk mitigation. I know BM got hurt but he could have given him more reps in garbage time in earlier games, ie, Chatt, etc.

If coaches decide to RS Bailey, then that means they do not feel he is ready to be under center in the SEC & the other QBs give us a better chance to win. We will then find out if our offensive staff know how to develop QBs. JG took a small step this year in his development but not enough for him to be the starter in 2020. There is going to be an open competition no doubt. I may be in the minority, but I am not sold on or really impressed with BM one bit at this point. Not saying he can’t get better though. I think many fans got too excited with his half of good play against UGA. Have not seen enough of Shrout to form an opinion. Would be surprised if Holiday stays at QB in all honesty. Whoever the QB is next year, the offensive numbers need to increase big time. RB play will depend on the progression of the OL.
You usually have really good takes.. and i respect that...you mentioned BM 1 good half...what did he against Bama before getting injured that was bad? Just curious on your opinion.

You usually have really good takes.. and i respect that...you mentioned BM 1 good half...what did he against Bama before getting injured that was bad? Just curious on your opinion.

I lied. I like his moxie, running ability, and energy he brings to the game and will give him that. I referenced his good half against UGA. Other than that, there is a lot to be desired which is typical of a true freshman. BM was brought off the bench multiple times during the season when JG sucked but JG had to come back in to win us games because BM sucked even more. Perfect example was the bowl game. JG was dreadful, coaches bring in BM for a spark and he is no better, then JG is brought back in leading the offense in the 4th that helps us get the win. With that being said, I do hope BM gets better and feel he will. Coaches trusted JG more when the game was on the line which speaks volumes.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

Speaking of areas for improvement...Don’t forget we have a below average punter that hurt us a couple of times this year...either he needs to eat his wheeties or we need another punter that can kick consistently 40+ yard punts!

VN Store

Back