Sec shorts - season report cards

Thirty years from now, with what team will Mike Leach most closely be associated? Texas Tech? Washington State? Or Mississippi State?

I would have to guess it will be Texas Tech, but it is an intriguing question. Has more to do with collective memory formation than the man himself, sort of like some people remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison.
I've actually been to that prison cell he was in for 30 years.

So cold during the winters on Robin Island...

These guys are one of my favorite things about football season. And that Mike Leach closing was so poetically perfect. I am truly touched. Well damn done.

Thirty years from now, with what team will Mike Leach most closely be associated? Texas Tech? Washington State? Or Mississippi State?

I would have to guess it will be Texas Tech, but it is an intriguing question. Has more to do with collective memory formation than the man himself, sort of like some people remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison.

He re-wrote today's CFB offenses when he became HC at Texas Tech. Most any high paced offense right now is a variant of that vine. Texas Tech will always be his legacy. WSU, and MSU just proved he had a viable system and not a fluke that took advantage of early defenses that weren't staffed to defend it probably 75% of your play calling. If any of his DC's had ever come close to a UGA or Bama level defense, his overall record would have been monumental.

Reactions: loservol
He re-wrote today's CFB offenses when he became HC at Texas Tech. Most any high paced offense right now is a variant of that vine. Texas Tech will always be his legacy. WSU, and MSU just proved he had a viable system and not a fluke that took advantage of early defenses that weren't staffed to defend it probably 75% of your play calling. If any of his DC's had ever come close to a UGA or Bama level defense, his overall record would have been monumental.
Good answer!

So, are you saying he was a great OC but was never a great head coach because he couldn’t or didn’t hire good DC. That may be the same for Kiffin and a number of offensive coordinators. Fact is, you have to have both to become a. Championship coach. Good example is Kirby. He was a great DC, but it took a few years to get the offense to be good enough to win a championship.

So, are you saying he was a great OC but was never a great head coach because he couldn’t or didn’t hire good DC. That may be the same for Kiffin and a number of offensive coordinators. Fact is, you have to have both to become a. Championship coach. Good example is Kirby. He was a great DC, but it took a few years to get the offense to be good enough to win a championship.

Leach had Grinch for one year at Wazzu I think and they had a VERY stout D that year.

Leach was often marginalized because of his quirky personality. I doubt it bothered him much.

Dude won at Lubbock, Pullman, and Starkville. Schools that are not exactly legendary for winning a ton of ballgames.

VN Store

Back