SEC refs

Bigorangedan23

It’s amazing the NCAA doesn’t hire the refs for games across the country. We now find out the line judge for the Miss game played football for Alabama. Most likely the time in the 90’s when Tennessee dominated Alabama. Kiffin was in his ear all night long and this guy was manipulated. The SEC is corrupt and we take the short end of the stick every time. The refs should be from other parts of the country Hired by the NCAA. Don’t tell me it’s because of expense. The leagues across the country are loaded.

It’s amazing the NCAA doesn’t hire the refs for games across the country. We now find out the line judge for the Miss game played football for Alabama. Most likely the time in the 90’s when Tennessee dominated Alabama. Kiffin was in his ear all night long and this guy was manipulated. The SEC is corrupt and we take the short end of the stick every time. The refs should be from other parts of the country Hired by the NCAA. Don’t tell me it’s because of expense. The leagues across the country are loaded.
I think refs at all levels have always made mistakes in the past. Instant replay has provided a method to try to correct the bad decisions. However, as the replay system has matured, officials have grown more reluctant to correct those bad calls. One wonders why. Are there so many they don't want to admit they have some many? Does it provide an avenue for the SEC and other conferences to sway the outcome so that the perceived better teams will make it to the playoffs? Are the Conferences so money happy that they want to make more money for them and their teams? Are the refs on the take or paid by the Conferences for them to play favorites? Deep down, I don't think so, but each week so many bad calls are made that inquiring minds wonder.

So let me get this straight, you think someone is going to risk their job because of an allegiance to Alabama and the fact that Kiffin once coached for Alabama and we beat him back in the 90's. Come on, give me a break. Utterly ridiculous. Is there a problem with officiating, of course, but it's not because of homers.

It might be wiser to use refs from other conferences. PAC12 refs working SEC games, ACC refs working B1G or Big 10 games, Big Sky refs working Big 12 games, for example. No ties, or association, but still oversight to be sure none of them are involved in sports betting.

So let me get this straight, you think someone is going to risk their job because of an allegiance to Alabama and the fact that Kiffin once coached for Alabama and we beat him back in the 90's. Come on, give me a break. Utterly ridiculous. Is there a problem with officiating, of course, but it's not because of homers.

Officiating is a part time gig, not their profession.

Which official is this?

Officiating is a part time gig, not their profession.
For some yes, but do you realize how much money they make? Most experienced SEC refs make 6 figures. Also, it's a path to the NFL so they aren't going to risk their job. Would you?

Nothing will change until the Conference moves the conference from Birmingham to a major city. Bama likes things just like they are. It's all sports in the SEC not just football. To many homers calling games across sports and 0 accountability from the SEC Office. Get the HQ out of Gump land and move it to a major city there are plenty across the SouthEast. Orlando makes the most sense to me. Until that happens nothing changes and the integrity of the league is at risk.

When was the last time an SEC official was fired for bad calls?

For some yes, but do you realize how much money they make? Most experienced SEC refs make 6 figures. Also, it's a path to the NFL so they aren't going to risk their job. Would you?
With how obviously terrible some of their calls are, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were making some extra on top of that....

Also, officiating is not a meritocracy. Thought that might be pretty obvious to most sports fans at this point. It's all about favor from the league.

It has everything to do with what you call homers. The league office is in Alabama. Who will get fired because of your homers???. Get real. This thing stinks.

When was the last time an SEC official was fired for bad calls?
Probably never, but my point is I don't believe they are making bad calls because they are a homer. I think they are becoming too reliant on instant reply to bail them out. Then the replay isn't conclusive. I don't know what the problem is - but I'm confident it's not because they have an allegiance to a school or an extreme dislike for a school.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Probably never, but my point is I don't believe they are making bad calls because they are a homer. I think they are becoming too reliant on instant reply to bail them out. Then the replay isn't conclusive. I don't know what the problem is - but I'm confident it's not because they have an allegiance to a school or an extreme dislike for a school.
There's not punishment for bad calls regardless of the reason, so they can be a homer if they want.

How about Anthony Jordan? Remember him? Noted LSU fan who officiated LSU games in which Tennessee was screwed over by bad calls? He still refs SEC games!! Even he wasn't fired! I don't know how anyone can continue to keep making excuses for the SEC. Just bend over and take it! Pathetic!

Curles should never be allowed to officiate another game. Arkansas already raised hell over this guy being able to ref one of their games. Why would this guy be allowed to again? At this point it’s not even about whether he’s on the take or not (although damn his body of work is suspicious) it’s about if he’s good enough at his job to have that job. I think the answer is clearly no.

I know White is busy jumping through hoops about the trash throwing etc. If the SEC really wants that crap not to happen though they need better officiating and I would never put that idiot in Knoxville again to ref a game.

It has everything to do with what you call homers. The league office is in Alabama. Who will get fired because of your homers???. Get real. This thing stinks.
You need to get real - so ridiculous. So you think because the league office is in Alabama therefore all refs are Bama homers? You do realize that the source of most refs played college football from all over the country - some of which played for UT. Terry Brown for example who played for UT in mid-80's was a SEC ref and is now a NFL ref. But, according to your logic, he's a Bama homer because the league office is in Alabama.

The problem is there is almost zero accountability to the point where it appears the SEC is trying to cover up egregious calls. This leads to the it was a "homer call" thought. Do I believe that there has been instances of homer calls, absolutely. Do I believe there have been times the SEC has protected teams in the NC hunt, without question. Both are the fault of the SEC and the lack of disciplinary action taken against inept officials.

You need to get real - so ridiculous. So you think because the league office is in Alabama therefore all refs are Bama homers? You do realize that the source of most refs played college football from all over the country - some of which played for UT. Terry Brown for example who played for UT in mid-80's was a SEC ref and is now a NFL ref. But, according to your logic, he's a Bama homer because the league office is in Alabama.
I think because the league office is in Alabama, and guys like Marc Curles (and many of the league's refs) live in Birmingham, there is pressure on them to call games certain ways. As someone else here put it- when you live around Bama fans, when you go to church with them, and school, and see them all day every day in the grocery store; when some are your friends, and some are your family- you build a bias and there is no way around it.

Get the offices TF out of Birmingham, change the leadership, and things improve for all of us.

I don’t know, those hillbillies in Alabama will literally kill for their team.

I think because the league office is in Alabama, and guys like Marc Curles (and many of the league's refs) live in Birmingham, there is pressure on them to call games certain ways. As someone else here put it- when you live around Bama fans, when you go to church with them, and school, and see them all day every day in the grocery store; when some are your friends, and some are your family- you build a bias and there is no way around it.

Get the offices TF out of Birmingham, change the leadership, and things improve for all of us.

I agree with moving the office out of Birmingham but where do you put it?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I agree with moving the office out of Birmingham but where do you put it?
A non-SEC state (Charlotte, DC, etc.) or a big, more neutral southern city (like someone said, Orlando would be good, or Tampa; definitely less UF influence there than Bama influence in Birmingham).

I encourage anyone on here who's never reffed to go get certified and do so. I reffed middle and high school soccer for five years. Most are just trying to do their job well.

However...........

You understand the concept of a 50/50 call, right? Holding that literally happens on every play. Line to gain situations where the ball may or may not be an inch short. Did the fingers brush the facemask or grab it?

Now you tell me. I'm looking at a 50/50 and I MUST call something. You are a human. You have bias. You're saying your bias in no way affects the call? Impossible.

I would try my best to weigh it 50 50 on my calls for the whole game. But.....if I was calling for my home town team, probably didn't work out that way. I'm not saying I intentionally called anything wrong, just that more of the close ones went our way.

Yes, Birmingham bias is a thing.

VN Store

Back