SEC Play

Dawn n

CJ,
Dawn beat Kim by 27 last year, heck your coach beat her also. I agree on RJ though, after watching her dominate on team USA this summer I was firmly convinced of her abilities. She is something. Unstoppable turn around fadeaway jumper, deadly accurate as well. If Clark comes out, I would take RJ second if I was a GM and that might include Paige also, though I think she stays another year and Clark does also. Brink is tempting as well.
I base it on what I see this year,,,not last year
it'll be intriguing
wish UT was more of an intriguing matchup for both of them tho

I base it on what I see this year,,,not last year
it'll be intriguing
wish UT was more of an intriguing matchup for both of them tho
But you said: “When a matchup looks = to me, I lean towards the coaching matchup”, implying all things equal you think Mulkey is the tougher coach to go against. Again, she was beaten by both Staley and Harper in her first season in the SEC, and she was whipped by Staley. I sometimes wonder if her run in the tourney last season was not set up perfectly for LSU, but give her credit. I think she has the horses this year to be a contender again, we will see. They had an easy run early then Utah missed a free throw that would have derailed them last year in the tourney but that’s how it falls sometimes.

Last edited:
But you said: “When a matchup looks = to me, I lean towards the coaching matchup”, implying all things equal you think Mulkey is the tougher coach to go against. Again, she was beaten by both Staley and Harper in her first season in the SEC, and she was whipped by Staley. I sometimes wonder if her run in the tourney last season was not set up perfectly for LSU, but give her credit. I think she has the horses this year to be a contender again, we will see.
I personally think the tournament was all set up for Clark. IMO Iowa had the perfect trajectory to win that natty but out of nowhere all of a sudden LSU just couldn’t miss.

But you said: “When a matchup looks = to me, I lean towards the coaching matchup”, implying all things equal you think Mulkey is the tougher coach to go against. Again, she was beaten by both Staley and Harper in her first season in the SEC, and she was whipped by Staley. I sometimes wonder if her run in the tourney last season was not set up perfectly for LSU, but give her credit. I think she has the horses this year to be a contender again, we will see. They had an easy run early then Utah missed a free throw that would have derailed them last year in the tourney but that’s how it falls sometimes.
the ones that tip the scale in her favor are "the Angel and the Rose (Velez and Rosario)" with those two and MiKaylah Williams...Flau'Jae Johnson, Van Lith and Angel Reese....that's a lot of talent

They're my pick to win the SEC hands down.
I don't discount Dawn,,her team is built strong too
But I think we let some game-changers slip through our fingers in Velez and Rosario

the ones that tip the scale in her favor are "the Angel and the Rose (Velez and Rosario)" with those two and MiKaylah Williams...Flau'Jae Johnson, Van Lith and Angel Reese....that's a lot of talent

But I think we let some game-changers slip through our fingers in Velez and Rosario
Good insight, thx CJ

Yeah, and you never even had to mention Morrow…..they are stacked no doubt. Not sure they will be beatable on their own court, but away or on a neutral court perhaps… They have some slight weaknesses.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Those four little words: If Rickea stays healthy.

11-5, finish third again, make tourney fairly comfortably but need a deep SEC run to be considered to host. Just like last year.

Hard to see us beating SC or LSU but if we have one of those nights and they have one of those off nights it could happen and would be great. But I'm counting 3 Ls there and leaving room for a couple of road Ls along the way.

One big improvement is if the losses, esp to LSU and SC can stay competitive. We need to look like we belong.

11-5, finish third again, make tourney fairly comfortably but need a deep SEC run to be considered to host. Just like last year.

Hard to see us beating SC or LSU but if we have one of those nights and they have one of those off nights it could happen and would be great. But I'm counting 3 Ls there and leaving room for a couple of road Ls along the way.

One big improvement is if the losses, esp to LSU and SC can stay competitive. We need to look like we belong.
You get both SC and LSU at UT in Feb, that could be huge by then.. UT could win in that environment at that stage of the season. I doubt any team is going to go undefeated let alone only 1-2 losses in conference this year. I think the team that wins the conference will have 2 losses….its getting much tighter nowadays, parity and all.

Last edited:

Agreed. We have to be competitive and keep up with them. Even if it happens to be a loss, it has to be close.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When u walk into a gym with Rickea Jackson, u always have a chance to win, I’ll never concede a loss and I don’t care who it is.
She certainly rampaged through the lower echelon SEC at this time last year, and I expect to enjoy watching that again starting Thursday. I loved the energy she had getting after it from the opening tip on Sunday.

One improvement and big upside RJ could show the WNBA is to have big games against better teams as well. She was incredible in the SEC win over LSU last year, but didn't play particularly well against UConn or SC either time. Nor Virginia Tech. Of course her subpar games are career days for most. But those teams really made it hard for her to get to her spots and find her shots. Hopefully RJ can uncork some big games against them this year.

Morrow is a great player, it’s probably time to stop dissing her. Yes she was a volume shooter at DePaul and jacked up way too many threes, at a low clip. But note she isn’t taking many threes at LSU and is focused on what she does best, rebounding and scoring around the paint. She was the no.1 portal player for a reason, she is really good.
This is all I remember anyone posting about Morrow. "Everyone" did not say she was no good. Obviously she's transitioned well to her new situation and makes LSU that much better. Morrow removes all pressure fm Angel to score and she can just be a board beast.

HVL doesn't seem all that much of a factor. Is she still out w injury?

Agreed. We have to be competitive and keep up with them. Even if it happens to be a loss, it has to be close.
And before anyone types it, yes it's a hell of a note that the program of the vaunted past is reduced to hoping for competitive losses. But we have to take that damn step. If we're competitive and win, all the better.

We have to stop being what one writer called us: consistently underwhelming.

She certainly rampaged through the lower echelon SEC at this time last year, and I expect to enjoy watching that again starting Thursday. I loved the energy she had getting after it from the opening tip on Sunday.

One improvement and big upside RJ could show the WNBA is to have big games against better teams as well. She was incredible in the SEC win over LSU last year, but didn't play particularly well against UConn or SC either time. Nor Virginia Tech. Of course her subpar games are career days for most. But those teams really made it hard for her to get to her spots and find her shots. Hopefully RJ can uncork some big games against them this year.

This is all I remember anyone posting about Morrow. "Everyone" did not say she was no good. Obviously she's transitioned well to her new situation and makes LSU that much better. Morrow removes all pressure fm Angel to score and she can just be a board beast.

She just came back. She has been transitioning to Pg, it will be a work in progress all season, but she has shown promise if I am being truthful. I could see her getting better at that job with the players around her. She is a selective shot taker now, and that is a good trait for a PG on a team with many dogs, but her handles are not ideal for a true PG and her defense will always be just so so. But if you were a PG in training, there are people to pass to on her team that can make it happen. And she has a knack for big shots….

Last edited:

HVL is back. Her shots are now starting to slightly fall and she’s averaging about 5 assts per game. If she keeps on evolving she may be big for them down the line.

HVL is back. Her shots are now starting to slightly fall and she’s averaging about 5 assts per game. If she keeps on evolving she may be big for them down the line.
True true. I’d say her one big weakness at PG is she just does not have elite handles on the ball and when pressured as the primary ball carrier by superior guards she falters and needs help. LSU has not exposed her to very many teams/players like that yet, but it is coming.

What is it with Velez that you see CJ, not sure she will have much impact this season imo.

True true. I’d say her one big weakness at PG is she just does not have elite handles on the ball and when pressured as the primary ball carrier by superior guards she falters and needs help. LSU has not exposed her to very many teams/players like that yet, but it is coming.
That’s True. I think she will continue divide a lot of the PG duties with Last-Tear and the guards will continue to pitch in as ball handlers.

What is it with Velez that you see CJ, not sure she will have much impact this season imo.
Velez is a "showtime" guard...Like J-Horston,,, she makes the difficult pass look easy and f's up the basic easy passes. She is best when she can show-off

Kim is the type of coach who will let her play her game as long as it is successful

A coach has to know whether he has a quarter horse or a thoroughbred
To make em run,,You whip a quarter horse and you give more reins to a Thoroughbred

And you have to let each one be what they are
Velez is a Derby pony

Velez is a "showtime" guard...Like J-Horston,,, she makes the difficult pass look easy and f's up the basic easy passes. She is best when she can show-off

Kim is the type of coach who will let her play her game as long as it is successful

A coach has to know whether he has a quarter horse or a thoroughbred
To make em run,,You whip a quarter horse and you give more reins to a Thoroughbred

And you have to let each one be what they are
Velez is a Derby pony
Yeah, no doubt. Prob won’t get to race this year though, she is getting less than 7 minutes per game and scoring 2 pts.

Reactions: Alf and chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back