SEC Play

aeternumVol

SEC play is about to begin and last season we had an ok run. In the tournament we even faced off against SC by upsetting LSU.

How do you guys see us fairing this year? Could we pull off another upset? Could we still make a deep sec tournament run and finish close to the top of the conference?

SEC play is about to begin and last season we had an ok run. In the tournament we even faced off against SC by upsetting LSU.

How do you guys see us fairing this year? Could we pull off another upset? Could we still make a deep sec tournament run and finish close to the top of the conference?
First post. Welcome.
Though you might have chosen a somewhat less controversial subject.

As long as Jackson is healthy, I expect us to be competitive (within 10-15 points) with SC and LSU although we will need a good 3-point shooting game to win one of those. Ideally, I'd like to see us beat either of those two and not lose more than one out of the remainder of the SEC schedule.

I think SC had everyone they needed to replace what they lost and I think they are actually better on the perimeter this season. I don't see us beating them either of the two games we have to play them this season. LSU did more in the portal than we did. We needed a strong post player and didn't get one so now were depending on Tamari getting better each game until those games with LSU and Sc roll around. I think it is going to be hard to win any of the three. So 0 and 3.

Other road games are at Auburn, at Ole Miss, at Miss St. at Alabama, at Texas A&M, at Vanderbilt, at Georgia. We need to find a way to win at least four of those games and really would be great to win five hopefully more. None are going to be easy to win. Almost everyone of those teams is vastly improved over last season. I'll say 4 and 3 cause anything less puts us in really bad shape to make the NCAA.

Home games Arkansas, Missouri, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Florida, and Vanderbilt. We need all six of these. I feel we can do it if we don't lose any key player to injury. So 6 and 0.

Final tally 10 and 6 in Conference and 7 and 5 non conference puts us at 17 and 11 which probably puts us in as a lower seed in the NCAA, but we may need to win first game in the SEC Tourney to be sure if that is the way the season goes down. Of course if we win these and somehow pull an upset over LSU or SC that would certainly put us in a better seed.

I'm thinking 17 may get us in and 18 certainly will no matter who the wins are against. This team will not be a top 16 seed JMO. In order to do that we need more like 20 to 21 wins.

I think if Kellie survives this season she is going to need to rethink the scheduling. Alabama for the most part and Texas A&M as well have mostly played a load of crap teams and they both sit in the top 25 of the NET. What she needs to learn is beating one of the crappy teams by 30 or 40 is as prestigious as beating a Q1 team by 1. Just the way the NCAA is figuring it these days. We just beat a Q3 team by 35 and it is certainly considered our best win of the season up to this point.

Losing at Auburn would drive another nail in the coffin so we better be ready to play. They are a good team not a great one with 10 wins already and a couple have been surprising upsets. If we get that one we should win the two at home hopefully for a 3 and 0 start that is what our record needs to be in the SEC come one week from Thursday after the Florida game.

I think SC had everyone they needed to replace what they lost and I think they are actually better on the perimeter this season. I don't see us beating them either of the two games we have to play them this season. LSU did more in the portal than we did. We needed a strong post player and didn't get one so now were depending on Tamari getting better each game until those games with LSU and Sc roll around. I think it is going to be hard to win any of the three. So 0 and 3.

Other road games are at Auburn, at Ole Miss, at Miss St. at Alabama, at Texas A&M, at Vanderbilt, at Georgia. We need to find a way to win at least four of those games and really would be great to win five hopefully more. None are going to be easy to win. Almost everyone of those teams is vastly improved over last season. I'll say 4 and 3 cause anything less puts us in really bad shape to make the NCAA.

Home games Arkansas, Missouri, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Florida, and Vanderbilt. We need all six of these. I feel we can do it if we don't lose any key player to injury. So 6 and 0.

Final tally 10 and 6 in Conference and 7 and 5 non conference puts us at 17 and 11 which probably puts us in as a lower seed in the NCAA, but we may need to win first game in the SEC Tourney to be sure if that is the way the season goes down. Of course if we win these and somehow pull an upset over LSU or SC that would certainly put us in a better seed.

I'm thinking 17 may get us in and 18 certainly will no matter who the wins are against. This team will not be a top 16 seed JMO. In order to do that we need more like 20 to 21 wins.

I think if Kellie survives this season she is going to need to rethink the scheduling. Alabama for the most part and Texas A&M as well have mostly played a load of crap teams and they both sit in the top 25 of the NET. What she needs to learn is beating one of the crappy teams by 30 or 40 is as prestigious as beating a Q1 team by 1. Just the way the NCAA is figuring it these days. We just beat a Q3 team by 35 and it is certainly considered our best win of the season up to this point.

Losing at Auburn would drive another nail in the coffin so we better be ready to play. They are a good team not a great one with 10 wins already and a couple have been surprising upsets. If we get that one we should win the two at home hopefully for a 3 and 0 start that is what our record needs to be in the SEC come one week from Thursday after the Florida game.
How did LSU do better than us in the portal, everyone here said Wells was better than HvL, and Morrow wasn’t that good because she put up numbers on a bad team?

How did LSU do better than us in the portal, everyone here said Wells was better than HvL, and Morrow wasn’t that good because she put up numbers on a bad team?
Wells is equal to HVL, but Morrow is a strong post player so that is where I think they did better. We need a post player that could score and rebound badly. We didn't get it because I'm sure the coaches thought Tamari could fill that position and she might still do it the last half of the season. She will really need to be the one along with Jill to step it up if were going to do well in the SEC.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Wells is equal to HVL, but Morrow is a strong post player so that is where I think they did better. We need a post player that could score and rebound badly. We didn't get it because I'm sure the coaches thought Tamari could fill that position and she might still do it the last half of the season. She will really need to be the one along with Jill to step it up if we’re going to do well in the SEC.
Of u think Wells is on the same level as HvL and others said Morrow was overrated, that would mean we won the porrtal if they was right. And I don’t think the coaches thought that about Key because they’ve seen her up close and knew what she would give. just go back and read those posts where everyone said that.

LSU is very thin in the post without Smith, so I like our chances. Karo did very well with Reese in the first half until she got in foul trouble and TK should be close to 100% by the time we play

LSU is very thin in the post without Smith, so I like our chances. Karo did very well with Reese in the first half until she got in foul trouble and TK should be close to 100% by the time we play
When u walk into a gym with Rickea Jackson, u always have a chance to win, I’ll never concede a loss and I don’t care who it is.

It is a game we could win if Tamari and Jill suddenly become more of a force inside. Del Rosario is starting to play a lot better every game. Then you have Reese and Morrow who if they can do anything is rebound the ball and get their team multiple possessions. We will probably have to shoot it something like the Liberty game. If that happens sure we can win any game we play.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Of u think Wells is on the same level as HvL and others said Morrow was overrated, that would mean we won the porrtal if they was right. And I don’t think the coaches thought that about Key because they’ve seen her up close and knew what she would give. just go back and read those posts where everyone said that.
Morrow is a great player, it’s probably time to stop dissing her. Yes she was a volume shooter at DePaul and jacked up way too many threes, at a low clip. But note she isn’t taking many threes at LSU and is focused on what she does best, rebounding and scoring around the paint. She was the no.1 portal player for a reason, she is really good.

I am not the biggest HVL fan, but again, coming out of the Ville with her track record, she was rightfully considered a huge portal pickup and as good as Wells might have been, she was never considered as good as HVL so yeah, LSU likely won the portal Nationally. Their freshman Williams is also an immediate impact player obviously, what a stroke she has.

Just like last season at the start of conf play, none of us know how good LSU might be because of their ridiculous schedule. We will find out now and it won’t take more than 3 weeks or so to know.

Meanwhile, for UT, there is a big opportunity to again repeat a great run through the conference with RJ back and hopefully a resurgent Key and Jill. I think Powell needs to be the glue and play really well from here and she looks the part lately to my eyes. Strip is one of the most improved players in the SEC this year and she still has upside imo if she can stay out of foul trouble defending in the post where she gives up size to many. Watch out if Spear finds her groove again, that would be the difference for me if UT is to make a big push from here, she seems to play better with RJ in the lineup, surprised me she didn’t step up in her absence but maybe it is taking some adjustment time. UT will make the tourney, I’m pretty confident of that.

Last edited:
Morrow is a great player, it’s probably time to stop dissing her. Yes she was a volume shooter at DePaul and jacked up way too many threes, at a low clip. But note she isn’t taking many threes at LSU and is focused on what she does best, rebounding and scoring around the paint. She was the no.1 portal player for a reason, she is really good.

I am not the biggest HVL fan, but again, coming out of the Ville with her track record, she was rightfully considered a huge portal pickup and as good as Wells might have been, she was never considered as good as HVL so yeah, LSU likely won the portal Nationally. Their freshman Williams is also an immediate impact player obviously, what a stroke she has.

Just like last season at the start of conf play, none of us know how good LSU might be because of their ridiculous schedule. We will find out now and it won’t take more than 3 weeks or so to know.

Meanwhile, for UT, there is a big opportunity to again repeat a great run through the conference with RJ back and hopefully a resurgent Key and Jill. I think Powell needs to be the glue and play really well from here and she looks the part lately to my eyes. Strip is one of the most improved players in the SEC this year and she still has upside imo if she can stay out of foul trouble defending in the post where she gives up size to many. Watch out if Spear finds her groove again, that would be the difference for me if UT is to make a big push from here, she seems to play better with RJ in the lineup, surprised me she didn’t step up in her absence but maybe it is taking some adjustment time. UT will make the tourney, I’m pretty confident of that.
Bro I said people said that about her on here, I didn’t say that was my opinion on her. Make sure u know what u are replying to, thanks.

Totally agree. I think as long a we have RJ we have a good chance at making a solid run. And imo the SEC overall isn’t looking as tough as it usually is. Most have had challenges and there are currently only 2 ranked teams in the conference. Hopefully through doing well, we can also get back to being ranked.

Ok my apologies if that’s the case, no arguments here.
None here either Phoenix, was in complete agreement of your post, apologize if it sounded other. For UT, I think it’s a plus that they get both SC and LSU at home later in the season in Feb., anything could happen in those games at UT, by which time UT may very well have been on a run. I could see SC walking into a hornets nest of an environment this month in Baton Rouge, fixing to get real interesting soon. There are going to be some close games coming up for everyone now, let’s see which teams have it.

Last edited:
None here either Phoenix, was in complete agreement of your post, apologize if it sounded other. For UT, I think it’s a plus that they get both SC and LSU at home later in the season in Feb., anything could happen in those games at UT, by which time UT may very well have been on a run. I could see SC walking into a hornets nest of an environment this month in Baton Rouge, fixing to get real interesting soon. There are going to be some close games coming up for everyone now, let’s see which teams have it.
It’s going to be very interesting, a lot of Star power. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and we get some great games.

Welcome! Not controversial but you will get a wide variety of opinions for sure!
I’m going with top two. Worst case 3rd.
That sounds about right. Top three and there is no shame in finishing behind SC and LSU. But there is enough instability in the LSU camp to hope for a 2nd place. But, that is what THEY want you to think.

The TRUTH is that Kellie has had the team playing possum in the pre-conference games and will unleash the Kraken in conference play and destroy everyone. AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Yes, I have been drinking. Why do you ask?

Welcome! Not controversial but you will get a wide variety of opinions for sure!
I’m going with top two. Worst case 3rd.
3rd is where I see us right now
LSU
SC,
TN
LSU V SC...to me looks =
When a matchup looks = to me, I lean towards the coaching matchup
As a coach, I'd rather face Dawn than Kim
For the Lady Vols, the same parameters are true

IMO The top four now/future coaches (not teams) in the SEC to me are
1- Kim Mulkey
2- Dawn Staley
3- Kellie Harper/Shea Ralph
We should win 3rd over Shea by talent alone

Talent wise, we have the best overall player in Rickea Jackson
I'd take her overall #1 if I could take any player from any of the 3 mentioned teams in a draft
From here it will be fully up to how the LV team gels and how Coach Kellie grows as an in-game coach
If the growth from both coaching and chemistry goes well, we could even give SC a run

Dawn n
3rd is where I see us right now
LSU
SC,
TN

LSU V SC...to me looks =
When a matchup looks = to me, I lean towards the coaching matchup
As a coach, I'd rather face Dawn than Kim
For the Lady Vols, the same parameters are true

IMO The top four now/future coaches (not teams) in the SEC to me are
1- Kim Mulkey
2- Dawn Staley
3- Kellie Harper/Shea Ralph
We should win 3rd over Shea by talent alone

Talent wise, we have the best overall player in Rickea Jackson
I'd take her overall #1 if I could take any player from any of the 3 mentioned teams in a draft
From here it will be fully up to how the LV team gels and how Coach Kellie grows as an in-game coach
If the growth from both coaching and chemistry goes well, we could even give SC a run
CJ,
Dawn beat Kim by 27 last year, heck your coach beat her also. I agree on RJ though, after watching her dominate on team USA this summer I was firmly convinced of her abilities. She is something. Unstoppable turn around fadeaway jumper, deadly accurate as well. If Clark comes out, I would take RJ second if I was a GM and that might include Paige also, though I think she stays another year and Clark does also. Brink is tempting as well.

Last edited:
That sounds about right. Top three and there is no shame in finishing behind SC and LSU. But there is enough instability in the LSU camp to hope for a 2nd place. But, that is what THEY want you to think.

The TRUTH is that Kellie has had the team playing possum in the pre-conference games and will unleash the Kraken in conference play and destroy everyone. AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Yes, I have been drinking. Why do you ask?
If you are per chance a brown liquor fan read Pappyland. A great book about Pappy Van Winkle bourbon and fathers and sons. Very beautifully written.

VN Store

Back