SEC Needs a Draft

We are very rich in money in the AD. I don’t see a problem here. I think they have to change courses, and find a way to pay these players now. Do what it takes to pay them. I don’t care how, just do it. Maybe the donors, businesses, and other owners will jump at the opportunity. You can’t stop an AD now for NIL.

Yup. But the question is WHY is it not good enough?
Because one, Tennessee has had so much turnover the past 12 years that it’s set the program back. Tennessee isn’t viewed as destination program for most top prospects. Secondly, Tennessee used to feast on recruits from Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Alabama, UGA, and Clemson becoming national powers has shut off the pipeline that Tennessee had from 93-04.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
In terms of money Tennessee can be competitive with Bama and Georgia, we just choose not to be.

I agree with this.

The UT administration has been killing the football program for 20 years now.

UT has the alumni base and fan support to compete at a high enough level in terms of NIL.

Will the administration do what's necessary to win?

Things seem to be somewhat better with White as AD but I'm still skeptical.

Tennessee has been irrelevant for 15 years. The Pruitt hire took a lot out of me as a fan.

The Heupel hire was okay I guess but I'm not sold on him.

No way to know but my guess is TAM told him to say that. Or maybe I should put it this way: That's what I would've done if I wanted to deflect the issue.

See that’s the problem. Nobody knows. It’s easy to assume that oh well TAMU told him to say that. Maybe they did. But it’s 50/50 they didn’t tell him and he is telling the truth.

This whole “it’s only about the money” seems to be the go to excuse now. It simply doesn’t hold weight.

I don't but I suspect 1.5-3 million per year per QB (Bryce Young and Quinn Ewers) is pretty new, so I assume the lineman salary has gone up too.

If you have info, I'll be happy to listen.

I have no info. See your post is the problem for virtually everyone now. It’s all assumptions. We “assume” a kid picked this school because of money. But we don’t know for sure. Like Inhave said about Travis Hunter. The #1 player in the nation, whom has offers from everybody, goes to Jackson State. If it’s all about money, then why did he pick JS? So JS had boosters that could pony up more than the biggest programs in the P5? No way.

It had to be something else. It would make sense that Hunter, being a DB, would want to be coached up by arguably the best DB in NFL history no?

Whining about what other teams have isn't going to fix it. We're going to have to do what it takes to catch up, which means spending the money on facilities, using our boosters and their connections for NIL, etc.
Sorta like telling one of our linemen he has to outrun Matthew Boling in the 100 meter dash?

With rapid change, a lot of people are behind the curve. Figure it out, adapt, or get left behind.

First it was facilities. Then, it became support staffs. Now, it's NIL.

I have been amazed (because we haven't had it at Florida until now) by all the support staff hires being made by Florida. But, that's the current business we're in and it's what they are doing at Alabama and Georgia. Florida literally just hired a dude with a title of "Gamechanger Coordinator". And while everyone has a chuckle at that, that's where we are today.

I laughed when all these schools built the indoor practice faciltiies or football training facilities with barber shops in the facility and all of that stuff that sounded insane.

But, everyone's got them now or is getting them.

It is what it is.
Top flight facilities with amenities for college aged kids makes plenty of sense. That’s who you are catering to. “Gamechanger Coordinator” sounds like a desperate, look at me hire. How exactly will this guy coordinate gamechanging? Will he teach players how to not throw the other team’s cleats?

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Top flight facilities with amenities for college aged kids makes plenty of sense. That’s who you are catering to. “Gamechanger Coordinator” sounds like a desperate, look at me hire. How exactly will this guy coordinate gamechanging? Will he teach players how to not throw the other team’s cleats?

When you have a support staff of 50 or whatever the heck it is, I suppose you run out of job titles.

But, these support staffs matter and the teams who we are chasing have them

I have no info. See your post is the problem for virtually everyone now. It’s all assumptions. We “assume” a kid picked this school because of money. But we don’t know for sure. Like Inhave said about Travis Hunter. The #1 player in the nation, whom has offers from everybody, goes to Jackson State. If it’s all about money, then why did he pick JS? So JS had boosters that could pony up more than the biggest programs in the P5? No way.

It had to be something else. It would make sense that Hunter, being a DB, would want to be coached up by arguably the best DB in NFL history no?
Certainly, Sanders figured in to Hunter's decision and going to a HBCU may have also but discounting the "sudden rise" of aTm to a #1 recruiting class and the sudden flip of more than a few prospects should tell us something is changing.

My theory with Sanders/Hunter is that both will leave Jackson State for FSU sooner rather than later. If Sanders IS trying to build something in the HBCU area he's a much more historically aware guy than I've taken him for. As for coaching, Sanders is likely a good mentor but there are some proven DB coaches in the NCAA and being a great player doesn't mean you're the best coach.

My theory with aTm and TX is: they've got plenty of donor money and they see an opening to use right now to get out in front of the pack with NIL.

Theory. If you have hard facts about what's happening, I'll be happy to listen.

Reactions: J C Higgins
When you have a support staff of 50 or whatever the heck it is, I suppose you run out of job titles.

But, these support staffs matter and the teams who we are chasing have them
As long as your players stop throwing cleats then I guess that’s an upgrade. Whatever works.

Because one, Tennessee has had so much turnover the past 12 years that it’s set the program back. Tennessee isn’t viewed as destination program for most top prospects. Secondly, Tennessee used to feast on recruits from Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Alabama, UGA, and Clemson becoming national powers has shut off the pipeline that Tennessee had from 93-04.
Only problem is its not like tamu has been world beaters either. They've won 0 sec championships, did they ever with the big xii? yet look how they are doing in recruiting. Yes the state of TX is loaded with talent but also loaded with competition.

Only problem is its not like tamu has been world beaters either. They've won 0 sec championships, did they ever with the big xii? yet look how they are doing in recruiting. Yes the state of TX is loaded with talent but also loaded with competition.
aTm overpaid for a coach to hopefully lock him in.
aTm aggressively developed NIL quickly.
aTm has a huge stadium and first class facilities.

aTm is doing their best to buy success. We'll see how that works for them but they're obviously putting major money into football.

NIL has completely changed the landscape and my concern is Tennessee could be left behind. It's absurd because Tennessee would be number 1 or 2 in terms of revenue in most conferences, but in the SEC we are middle of the pack. Not going to be able to compete with paying players like what TAM, bama, and uga can do. Texas will add to the difficulties and programs like Tennessee, Auburn, Oklahoma, historically strong programs with deep pockets will be middle of the road.

I don't really think a draft is right, but perhaps the conference can limit signees by star rating. Maybe max 3 five stars and max 15 four stars? At a conference level there may be the opportunity to maintain parity and reward coaching. Even Kirby said great coaching didn't win their championship its simply having the best players.

Think about if the NFL had the current CFB system. Cowboys and Giants would win every year, maybe even Washington since Snyder loves to overpay players. Instead look at the parity, Titans are the largest AFC media market remaining and Nashville ranks 25th. Modern CFB is rewarding recruiting over coaching and hard work, its given us a boring system where only 2-3 teams have a chance to win the title every year. What is the fix?
Totally agree

Reactions: J C Higgins
Won't never happen because it would for real level the playing field. Ala, Georgia and the usually top 10 wouldn't get the creme anymore. Then let's see who can coach up the 3 stars!!!!!!!

It appears the NIL money made the difference for TAMU in recruiting this year. Hopefully the UT Athletic department has adapted and will catch up next recruiting cycle.

aTm overpaid for a coach to hopefully lock him in.
aTm aggressively developed NIL quickly.
aTm has a huge stadium and first class facilities.

aTm is doing their best to buy success. We'll see how that works for them but they're obviously putting major money into football.

Same as Georgia the last five or so years and we saw how that has worked for them as recently as the last National Championship game.

In terms of money Tennessee can be competitive with Bama and Georgia, we just choose not to be.
I believe this is not true. AD is operating at a loss - cut 2.5 M from last years recruiting budget, donations down 4 M two years in a row. Where is this money of which you speak ?

I think we are not competitive with a number of schools in our league - we can probably compete with Arkansas, Miss State, and a couple of others that can't compete.

Finding NIL money may be more difficult than imagined given the nearly 2 decades of apathy and underperformance by this program.

Force kids to go to school where they don’t wanna go and maybe not even have the major they want? How do you navigate that?

A draft like selection will eventually happen. Parity is an eventuality with a super conference.

Initially will go for limiting 5* and 4* players to any one school.

NFL 32 teams
NCAAF 45 teams?
Our players will eventually be employees and not Volunteers.

I hate a football business. NFL

When CF becomes NFL I’m out.

We still have volleyball and soccer.

Force kids to go to school where they don’t wanna go and maybe not even have the major they want? How do you navigate that?
NFL forces you to go to 1 of 32 cities with no say unless you are undrafted. As far as majors, which school doesn't offer BA? For the rare Josh Dobbs who legit wants an education there are probably workaround options that could fit.

I believe this is not true. AD is operating at a loss - cut 2.5 M from last years recruiting budget, donations down 4 M two years in a row. Where is this money of which you speak ?

I think we are not competitive with a number of schools in our league - we can probably compete with Arkansas, Miss State, and a couple of others that can't compete.

😂 You’re talking about the revenue of the AD like it means anything as far as recruiting.

VN Store

Back