SEC Needs a Draft

rocky top buzz

NIL has completely changed the landscape and my concern is Tennessee could be left behind. It's absurd because Tennessee would be number 1 or 2 in terms of revenue in most conferences, but in the SEC we are middle of the pack. Not going to be able to compete with paying players like what TAM, bama, and uga can do. Texas will add to the difficulties and programs like Tennessee, Auburn, Oklahoma, historically strong programs with deep pockets will be middle of the road.

I don't really think a draft is right, but perhaps the conference can limit signees by star rating. Maybe max 3 five stars and max 15 four stars? At a conference level there may be the opportunity to maintain parity and reward coaching. Even Kirby said great coaching didn't win their championship its simply having the best players.

Think about if the NFL had the current CFB system. Cowboys and Giants would win every year, maybe even Washington since Snyder loves to overpay players. Instead look at the parity, Titans are the largest AFC media market remaining and Nashville ranks 25th. Modern CFB is rewarding recruiting over coaching and hard work, its given us a boring system where only 2-3 teams have a chance to win the title every year. What is the fix?

In terms of money Tennessee can be competitive with Bama and Georgia, we just choose not to be.
I used to think so but not so sure now with NIL. Atlanta has a lot of transplants who have collegiate alliances elsewhere but they still have a lot of fortune 500 hq's that can justify advertising dollars by connecting with the largest brand in their region. Bama has a head start, big companies nationwide want to align with their recent history of success. Tennessee is growing but much of that growth in the mid state is not as tightly connected to the state's flagship university, plus the fact there is an SEC school in Nashville. Tennessee has a huge fanbase, I am always impressed how much UT gear I see when I travel. But I think NIL has changed the game from fan-driven to corporate driven and outside of Pilot who we got?

NIL has completely changed the landscape and my concern is Tennessee could be left behind. It's absurd because Tennessee would be number 1 or 2 in terms of revenue in most conferences, but in the SEC we are middle of the pack. Not going to be able to compete with paying players like what TAM, bama, and uga can do. Texas will add to the difficulties and programs like Tennessee, Auburn, Oklahoma, historically strong programs with deep pockets will be middle of the road.

I don't really think a draft is right, but perhaps the conference can limit signees by star rating. Maybe max 3 five stars and max 15 four stars? At a conference level there may be the opportunity to maintain parity and reward coaching. Even Kirby said great coaching didn't win their championship its simply having the best players.

Think about if the NFL had the current CFB system. Cowboys and Giants would win every year, maybe even Washington since Snyder loves to overpay players. Instead look at the parity, Titans are the largest AFC media market remaining and Nashville ranks 25th. Modern CFB is rewarding recruiting over coaching and hard work, its given us a boring system where only 2-3 teams have a chance to win the title every year. What is the fix?
It will happen whenever the SEC decides to disband from the NCAA and have their own league. I hope they do it after Texas and Oklahoma officially join. Any recruits, high school or transfers, wanting to join would have to “declare for the SEC” and waive their right to go to another conference/league until they are NFL draft eligible. Undrafted players could then join any team’s practice squad until a roster spot becomes available or they can choose to opt out of the league and be free to play for one of the other conferences. If they wanted to get into a future SEC Draft they just have to resubmit their name into the draft pool. There are ways they can make stuff happen if they really want it to happen. They could have a pretty exciting 10 game regular season and playoffs

Reactions: rocky top buzz
I'll translate.

"Our recruiting isn't good enough and I'm concerned."

That's what these threads are really saying.
I don’t even think that. It’s more ignorant “omg change is coming and it scares me because I want things to be like they were in the 60s” mixed with “welp we have had some bad luck we definitely are gonna get screwed”
both are dumb takes

Could we have one day without an insane “omg the NIL…college football is dead…Tennessee is doomed” thread. This is the most overblown BS on this board since Gruden
Why? You say its overblown so that makes it so? Look at the history of college football. Bama dominated in the 70s so schools added scholarship limitations and that resulted in widespread success (20 different schools winning championships over 25 years). But now we have a system where only 5 schools have won in the last 15 years. Maybe I wouldn't care if UT was one of those 5 but we're not.

Why? You say its overblown so that makes it so? Look at the history of college football. Bama dominated in the 70s so schools added scholarship limitations and that resulted in widespread success (20 different schools winning championships over 25 years). But now we have a system where only 5 schools have won in the last 15 years. Maybe I wouldn't care if UT was one of those 5 but we're not.
The “system” is having great coaches and recruiting well within your system as well as the usual luck NCs have

I'll translate.

"Our recruiting isn't good enough and I'm concerned."

That's what these threads are really saying.
Yup. But the question is WHY is it not good enough. Used to it was coaches. But today kids openly admit its money. You think kids picking schools solely for money is good for college football? Would the cowboys winning 7 of 10 superbowls be good for the NFL?

With rapid change, a lot of people are behind the curve. Figure it out, adapt, or get left behind.

First it was facilities. Then, it became support staffs. Now, it's NIL.

I have been amazed (because we haven't had it at Florida until now) by all the support staff hires being made by Florida. But, that's the current business we're in and it's what they are doing at Alabama and Georgia. Florida literally just hired a dude with a title of "Gamechanger Coordinator". And while everyone has a chuckle at that, that's where we are today.

I laughed when all these schools built the indoor practice faciltiies or football training facilities with barber shops in the facility and all of that stuff that sounded insane.

But, everyone's got them now or is getting them.

It is what it is.

Yup. But the question is WHY is it not good enough. Used to it was coaches. But today kids openly admit its money. You think kids picking schools solely for money is good for college football? Would the cowboys winning 7 of 10 superbowls be good for the NFL?
The problem with an SEC exclusive or (SEC/B1G) draft is how would we feel if the ACC and/or Big 12 got together and started an exclusive basketball draft?

The SEC would lose out in basketball because players would want to "get paid" in the elite draft for basketball. Other teams would feel that way in football.

I'm not sure fragmenting all the sports will work.

Is this a new development?

There are several people saying that it's always been done, it's just out in the open now. It may not have been a payment to a kid, but it's an amazing car loan or a family member getting a great new job, etc.

Tennessee has the ability to get in the game and compete.

Do they choose to and if so, do they do it better than their competition?

Lol players have been getting paid in college football and basketball since the 1920s

I don’t even think that. It’s more ignorant “omg change is coming and it scares me because I want things to be like they were in the 60s” mixed with “welp we have had some bad luck we definitely are gonna get screwed”
both are dumb takes
Personally I'm more "omg change is coming and we're in pretty much the best seats in the house."

Here's my theory: we're doing fine. Nobody is doomed, at least not in the SEC. We're fat on TV money and probably counting years until we're paying students directly with it.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Lol players have been getting paid in college football and basketball since the 1920s
The cost of doing business with players has increased significantly just as the cost of having great facilities increased several years ago.

When it became apparent UT needed to update the facilities and "perks," the university had to come up with funding for those updates.

With NIL, and the university itself being "shut out" of funding it directly, there's a need for a new revenue stream for players. Boosters have been generous but with NIL deals reaching into the millions per year for a top notch QB, we're going to have to get up to speed in having big NIL deals there.

Sure, athletes have been being paid forever but the NIL seems to have upped the money for everyone...... or do you think $50k/yr for each lineman was common previously?

If it’s only about money then how did Jackson State land the #1 recruit in the nation? Money is a factor but it’s not the only one. Walter Nolen stated if it were just about NIL, he would have chosen TN.

The cost of doing business with players has increased significantly just as the cost of having great facilities increased several years ago.

When it became apparent UT needed to update the facilities and "perks," the university had to come up with funding for those updates.

With NIL, and the university itself being "shut out" of funding it directly, there's a need for a new revenue stream for players. Boosters have been generous but with NIL deals reaching into the millions per year for a top notch QB, we're going to have to get up to speed in having big NIL deals there.

Sure, athletes have been being paid forever but the NIL seems to have upped the money for everyone...... or do you think $50k/yr for each lineman was common previously?

How do we know $50k per lineman hasn’t been happening for a long time?

Personally I'm more "omg change is coming and we're in pretty much the best seats in the house."

Here's my theory: we're doing fine. Nobody is doomed, at least not in the SEC. We're fat on TV money and probably counting years until we're paying students directly with it.
At the point where the schools start paying players directly, the whole thing changes to a pro model with a full draft, salary caps, revenue sharing, contract negotiations, etc.

That's not doom but it is "NFL Lite" and a radical change.

Reactions: Coddlecreek1
If it’s only about money then how did Jackson State land the #1 recruit in the nation? Money is a factor but it’s not the only one. Walter Nolen stated if it were just about NIL, he would have chosen TN.
As usual, when folks say "It wasn't really about the money"...... it WAS really about the money.

No way to know but my guess is TAM told him to say that. Or maybe I should put it this way: That's what I would've done if I wanted to deflect the issue.

Whining about what other teams have isn't going to fix it. We're going to have to do what it takes to catch up, which means spending the money on facilities, using our boosters and their connections for NIL, etc.

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back