SEC Hoops Jobs Ranked by Coaches

That chart should make a lot of coaches sit up and listen if the AD makes a pitch. It's a FB school, but Lord if recruiter went in there and could lock down metro ATL over tech and the rest of the ACC/SEC, then watch out.

Reactions: sport3500
I love how the knock on Florida is literally that their arena is mostly empty, and they somehow have a better gameday experience. Ok?
Exactly. Not a lot of respect for that ranking with the Florida lovefest. Like I said, it seems more like a popularity contest.

Reactions: StarRaider
Atmosphere doesn’t fill trophy cases.
They were ranked in all of those categories separately, though. Strictly based on both the gameday atmosphere and facilities categories, Tennessee should be ahead of Florida. Combined altogether, I think you're right, Florida is ahead of us and we are probably accurately slotted.

Reactions: VolunteerCeltic
Tennessee should be ranked third and Florida fourth overall. Way too much emphasis on two national titles for the Gators. In every other metric, Tennessee is a better program than Florida. We have more conference titles, have a decisive edge in the all-time series, a better all-time record (overall and in conference play). Our overall record in the NCAA tournament is almost even with Florida's. I also believe that Tennessee has a much better recruiting base than they are getting credit for.

I also believe that LSU is a little low. They should be around 5th.

Reactions: StarRaider
Tennessee should be ranked third and Florida fourth overall. Way too much emphasis on two national titles for the Gators. In every other metric, Tennessee is a better program than Florida. We have more conference titles, have a decisive edge in the all-time series, a better all-time record (overall and in conference play). Our overall record in the NCAA tournament is almost even with Florida's. I also believe that Tennessee has a much better recruiting base than they are getting credit for.

IIRC The Vols were 3-1 vs. the Gators during those two years.

Reactions: esarmstrong

Unfortunately, for the people who make these polls, eliminating the recency bias is nearly impossible, so I can understand having Florida where they are, overall. I just disagree with a lot of the edge they are given with regard to tradition, facilities, and atmosphere.

Our overall record in the NCAA tournament is almost even with Florida's.

This statement is not even close to being correct. Florida is 44-18 in the NCAA tournament. The Vols are 22-23. Since ‘06 Florida is 30-8 in the big dance. I think the Vols and Gators are 2A and 2B as far as SEC programs. Unfortunately the Vols have underperformed in the tournament. TBA is a great atmosphere and the crowds dwarf UF.

Reactions: TBvol
Hmm, no one mentioned coach pay?

UT has always been a sleeping giant. Knoxville is big enough that you can pull 15k fans a game. Places like Auburn, Ole Miss and Gainesville can’t do that.

Our program has been the victim of either bad ADs or disinterested ones. Dickey just didn’t care all that much about basketball. TBA was built big but never with fan experience in mind. Hell, anyone ever figure how they built four rows in TBA with only one seat? Great planning. The renovation was a huge step and puts TBA at or near the top in both capacity and experience. The only thing lacking is the concourse. Pratt pavilion and the new locker room are also at the top. There is literally nothing better in the conference.

Surprisingly, Fulmer has shown a big interest in b-ball. The willingness to pay top three money Is notable and shouldn’t be ignored when talking about a “desirable” job. Now, how could any coach not see UT as one of the most desirable job? We’ve had multiple coaches show that winning at a high level can be done here. Facilities and pay are elite. Fan base is elite. All we need now are elite results.

Our overall record in the NCAA tournament is almost even with Florida's.

This statement is not even close to being correct. Florida is 44-18 in the NCAA tournament. The Vols are 22-23. Since ‘06 Florida is 30-8 in the big dance. I think the Vols and Gators are 2A and 2B as far as SEC programs. Unfortunately the Vols have underperformed in the tournament. TBA is a great atmosphere and the crowds dwarf UF.
They have double the number of NCAAT wins as us. Awfully generous definition of “almost even”

Neyland gets bigger crowds than the Swamp. That doesn’t mean we have a better football program than Florida.

They have double the number of NCAAT wins as us. Awfully generous definition of “almost even”
You're right, that was mighty generous of me wasn't it? Anything that I can do to inflate the image of the Vols, I'll do it! That's what I get for trying to give an NCAA tournament statistic without actually looking it up, I guess. The stat that I must have been conflating was the number of appearances in the NCAA tournament, which is even or almost even.

I'll still stand by my earlier comment that we are a better program than Florida in hoops, all time.

I had previously said that LSU was a little low. They may be way too low. They are second all time in conference titles, just ahead of Tennessee with 11. Alabama is awfully low, too. They have the second all-time winningest program in the SEC (conference games, I believe), behind only Kentucky. I think they have 8 conference titles all time, putting them in fourth place, IIRC.

Hmm, no one mentioned coach pay?

UT has always been a sleeping giant. Knoxville is big enough that you can pull 15k fans a game. Places like Auburn, Ole Miss and Gainesville can’t do that.

Our program has been the victim of either bad ADs or disinterested ones. Dickey just didn’t care all that much about basketball. TBA was built big but never with fan experience in mind. Hell, anyone ever figure how they built four rows in TBA with only one seat? Great planning. The renovation was a huge step and puts TBA at or near the top in both capacity and experience. The only thing lacking is the concourse. Pratt pavilion and the new locker room are also at the top. There is literally nothing better in the conference.

Surprisingly, Fulmer has shown a big interest in b-ball. The willingness to pay top three money Is notable and shouldn’t be ignored when talking about a “desirable” job. Now, how could any coach not see UT as one of the most desirable job? We’ve had multiple coaches show that winning at a high level can be done here. Facilities and pay are elite. Fan base is elite. All we need now are elite results.
Good post and it looks like the recruits are coming in '20

Unfortunately, for the people who make these polls, eliminating the recency bias is nearly impossible, so I can understand having Florida where they are, overall. I just disagree with a lot of the edge they are given with regard to tradition, facilities, and atmosphere.

when 13 years ago is "recent" we have issues.

VN Store

Back