SEC Hoops Jobs Ranked by Coaches

Cute, you don't want to talk about Tennessee anymore because you are beginning to see the weaknesses in your argument there, so you choose to compare Florida to Alabama. Before you start puffing up your chest about Florida's two NCAA titles, you would do well just take a little time looking at the all-time records of other schools besides Florida in basketball. Alabama is the second winningest program in the SEC all time. They have 8 conference titles (one more than Florida), 6 tournament titles (two more than Florida). And I will wager they lead the all-time series with Florida in hoops. Did it ever occur you that part of the reason the rest of the SEC has low numbers in hoops is because of the dominance of one team: Kentucky. I wonder what Arkansas hoops history would be like if they had played in the SEC from the beginning?

I have no problem sticking to Tennessee. I didn’t want to make it sound like a Florida-Tennessee argument, because it isn’t.

We’ll agree to disagree.

I just don’t see this overwhelmingly historically great program anywhere in the league outside of Kentucky and Arkansas. And I think the hardware and ncaa tournament results Florida has produced carry a significant amount of weight over other schools that don’t have it.

For the record, I’m not disagreeing with much of the argument people are making.

Yes, Florida’s basketball history is mostly bad. Not denying that.

All I am saying is that their recent history of great achievement catapults them above other programs with little to no great achievement.

And in basketball, in the SEC, no one has a history better than mediocre outside of Kentucky
I’m just giving you a hard time. I think these sort of polls or rankings are dumb. The proof is in the pudding. The attractiveness of the job is generally reflected by your most recent hire.

While in football the overall history of Tennessee is more than enough to outweigh Florida’s recent success, the same is not true in basketball.

5 Final Fours, 2 national titles, and the #5 NCAA tournament winning percentage all-time is enough to surpass whatever it is Tennessee wants to hang its hat on in men’s basketball.
Hate to admit it, but I agree

Hate to admit it, but I agree

TN would have had a couple dozen more NCAAT invitations had if it was taking more than one team from the SEC before the mid-70s. Florida didn't even have a full time basketball coach until Norm Sloan was hired.

A single elimination tournament doesn't define the entire history.

Reactions: golfballs
TN would have had a couple dozen more NCAAT invitations had if it was taking more than one team from the SEC before the mid-70s. Florida didn't even have a full time basketball coach until Norm Sloan was hired.

A single elimination tournament doesn't define the entire history.

Which resume would you rather have?

A. 9 SEC titles, 4 SEC tournament titles, 0 Final Fours, 0 National Titles

B. 7 SEC titles, 4 SEC tournament titles, 5 Final Fours, 2 National Titles.

Anyone not wearing orange glasses would take B
Exacty. One Final 4 for UT is all I want before I die. I got Vol's football in '98, my Pistons back to back in 89-90 and that one in 2001(?). Cubs in '15(?), I'm so bad with dates and years. Eagles in '17, now I just need the Vols a Final 4 or two (of course I want a National Championship, but in college basketball, the Final 4 is almost close enough) and I can die happy

If you define history as the only last 15 years, okay. If you define a program as only what they did in the single elimination NCAAT, fine. Florida's basketball history is Billy. Their football history is Spurrier.

If you define history as the only last 15 years, okay. If you define a program as only what they did in the single elimination NCAAT, fine. Florida's basketball history is Billy. Their football history is Spurrier.
Programs are bigger than the coach they say.

What is Tennessee basketball history?

That's the one SEC school where it's close to being equal....... Imo

I agree although I do think football is still bigger.

Kentucky is the only place in the SEC that basketball is truly bigger than football, and even there I think football is bigger than basketball is at other places like Alabama.

Reactions: vols 30
What is Tennessee basketball history?

5 All Americans.

6 coaches that won at least 70% of their games.

11 coaches that won at least 60%.

More than 600 games above .500

7 coaches with conference championships.

6 coaches with NCAAT appearances.

Too many 1st-3rd SEC finishes to count.

35 seasons with .667 or better conference records.

81 winning seasons.

Ranked by the AP in every decade since the 1940s.

Last edited:
Alan Houston and Tobias Harris > al horford and joakim Noah. It’s not really an opinion that outside of billy Donovan Florida has nothing.

More history:

Donovan has 6 of Florida's 7 SEC championships. He has more NCAAT appearances, NCAAT wins, and SEC championships than all other Florida coaches COMBINED.

Donovan's mentor is one of the dirtiest coaches in the history of college basketball (Rick Pitino).

Florida never made an NCAA tournament until the field was expanded to 64 teams. Their first 2 appearances (1987 and 1988) were vacated because their coach was caught committing NCAA violations that nearly resulted in the death penalty.

This thread has developed into a pretty big pissing contest between the histories of Tennessee’s and Florida’s basketball programs. I would sum up the comparisons of the two programs like this:

1) When it comes to consistent regular season performance over the past 70-80 years, the Vols have the upper hand.
2) TBA is a better facility for hoops than where the Gators play and the Vols enjoy better overall fan support although the student seating at UF is more advantageous. I don’t think there is an appreciable difference in the locker room and practice facilities to where it is a tipping point for recruits. I’ve been in both in the past year.
3) Billy Donovan was a difference maker for UF basketball. Taking regular and post season into account he is far and away the most accomplished coach of any who have coached at either school.
4) When it comes to post season accomplishments UF has the upper hand obviously. Lon Kruger took them to a Final Four and Mike White does have an elite 8 and a 5-3 NCAAT record. The time period is much more compressed than UT but the results are very impressive.

Bottom line is both schools invest heavily in the sport and should remain in the upper division of the league more seasons than not. If I was a recruit I would have a tough time choosing between the two because both programs are really good.

Reactions: sport3500
I would rank Tennessee third in those rankings and the in state talent base is improving in Chattanooga and Nashville.

Arkansas would drop to fourth.

Dickey tried to hire Roy Williams before Williams declined and suggested Jerry Green for the UT job and he also had Bill Self on the radar but thought UT's fan base would castigate him for picking a coach from Oral Roberts.

Florida is a better job than Tennessee.

Florida has a better basketball history than Tennessee.

Not complicated at all.

Florida is a better job than Tennessee.

Florida has a better basketball history than Tennessee.

Not complicated at all.
Florida has a much better history than Tennessee, because their success over the last 26 years overrides the mediocrity that came before that. However, just as we have learned from football, the strength of history and tradition does not make a program, nor should it be heavily evaluated in the current strength of a program or the quality of it's head coaching job. If it did, then Georgetown and Houston would be better head coaching jobs than Tennessee.

I don't agree that Florida is a better job than Tennessee. Regardless of which way you fall, it certainly is not a clear cut choice between the two. I can't believe that someone who moderates a forum for Vol fans, would say that it is "Not complicated at all." that Florida is a better job than Tennessee (in basketball).

...and for the record, since the 1996-1997 season (and I will begin there, because that was Billy Donovan's first season as Florida's head basketball coach), Tennessee leads Florida head to head in basketball 22-21.

Last edited:
Reactions: sport3500
Florida has a much better history than Tennessee, because their success over the last 26 years overrides the mediocrity that came before that. However, just as we have learned from football, the strength of history and tradition does not make a program, nor should it be heavily evaluated in the current strength of a program or the quality of it's head coaching job. If it did, then Georgetown and Houston would be better head coaching jobs than Tennessee.

I don't agree that Florida is a better job than Tennessee. Regardless of which way you fall, it certainly is not a clear cut choice between the two. I can't believe that someone who moderates a forum for Vol fans, would say that it is "Not complicated at all." that Florida is a better job than Tennessee (in basketball).

...and for the record, since the 1998-1999 season, Tennessee leads Florida head to head in basketball 21-18.

What’s the better job now? Florida. That’s the answer to the question. That might change in 10 years. I don’t know. But it’s pretty clear to me the Florida job is better. I could listen to an argument they’re equal footing, but I would disagree.

And using head to head to compare jobs is dumb.

What’s the better job now? Florida. That’s the answer to the question. That might change in 10 years. I don’t know. But it’s pretty clear to me the Florida job is better. I could listen to an argument they’re equal footing, but I would disagree.

And using head to head to compare jobs is dumb.
Placing history aside, which isn't very meaningful, there is no reason for a Tennessee fan to agree with this. Using the head to head games, makes just as much sense as comparing history (as you have done).

Vanderbilt is 5-2 in their last 7 against Tennessee, anyone like to argue Vandy Football is a better job than Tennessee Football?

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

VN Store

Back