SEC going with 1 permanent?

That’s still on the table, to do 1-7 and play everyone every two years.

Who would be UT’s permanent?

Who do you want as UT’s permanent?

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.
Would be an amazingly dumb move. Would the NBA kill Lakers Celtics? Would the NFL kill Bears Packers? Would the NHL kill Canadiens Bruins? So yeah… the SEC is definitely going to do it.

This 1 Permanent Rival thing is idiotic and to see anyone in the SEC contemplate it is a sign of just how much they take the fans of its schools for granted. Rivalries are the lifeblood of superior college sports environments. They motivate fans, they engage onlookers, they're the spectacles of the sport - and they are constant fixtures in the lives of fans. You mark your calendar by them. The very moment they mess with that - the year where fans look up in October and think "huh, no Alabama this year," - is the moment those rivalries begin to fade away.

This isn't surprising, though. A lot of people in charge of college football - especially those who steer it for profit - could not care less about rivalries or traditions, or gameday experiences, or any of that stuff. They only care about what they can package to sell to someone in the future. As long as they have "college football" to sell, who cares if it's a rivalry or has any tradition or logical sense to speak of? How else could you end up with Missouri in the SEC?

But here we are. Held by corporate hands which would gladly wring the SEC - and college football - dry of its traditions before it's all said and done.

We plan our fall trips around the FL, Bama, GA and KY games. Going to 1 permanent rival and it being Vandy will end a lot of traditions.

That’s still on the table, to do 1-7 and play everyone every two years.

Who would be UT’s permanent?

Who do you want as UT’s permanent?

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.

I think the SEC has too many rivalries to reduce it down to 1 permanent rival a year.

Reactions: GreyhoundMan
I like this idea because your getting to play a lot of different SEC teams every yr. Your schedule will not be the same ole teams every yr the way they are with the divisions. Now having said this, agreeing on the one permanent rival and giving up some some rivalries created by the divisions is a challenge as many on here have discussed.

The spring SEC meeting, this weekend I think, should come away with something.

Bama and Auburn didn’t play each other for 3 decades due to a dispute over one game’s revenues. The Alabama legislature forced them to resume playing each other. Fawk that inbred in-state rivalry.

Long ago, Vandy was the collegiate football power in the south. They owned everybody, including Bama. UT hired Neyland to beat Vandy. Neyland’s Vols did just that, and the history of Tennessee football took a delightful turn for the better.

I wasn’t…….I said, “The ONLY school in the country that considers UT as their "biggest" rival is Vanderbilt.”

In conference, you’re probably correct on that
Anecdotally, every Kentucky fan I've ever met hates Tennessee significantly more than Louisville. I suspect it's because of how consistently dominant we've been against them but they HATE Tennessee. They just dislike Louisville as the requisite in-state rival.

Long ago, Vandy was the collegiate football power in the south. They owned everybody, including Bama. UT hired Neyland to beat Vandy. Neyland’s Vols did just that, and the history of Tennessee football took a delightful turn for the better.
Got a sneaky suspicion that Neyland win over Vandy will be somewhere on the countdown list......;)

Anecdotally, every Kentucky fan I've ever met hates Tennessee significantly more than Louisville. I suspect it's because of how consistently dominant we've been against them but they HATE Tennessee. They just dislike Louisville as the requisite in-state rival.

Every "poll" I've seen has Louisville as #1 and UT #2.................but that includes all sports (basketball makes a difference.)

Reactions: SpookyAction
Two programs wanting to play each other every year despite the conference schedule could use one of their 3-4 non-conference slots…

Reactions: VolBallGuy
Bama and Auburn didn’t play each other for 3 decades due to a dispute over one game’s revenues. The Alabama legislature forced them to resume playing each other. Fawk that inbred in-state rivalry.

They stopped in 1907, come on! How many people watched or even listened to the games back then to even know they stopped playing?

Wow, could you imagine, us being Vandy fans? I mean i know we've been through some rough times, but Jesus. Even So, I think that Vandy could become relevant/average again with the right coach. Nashville is a terrific city and James Franklin showed it could be done.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Was radio even invented by 1907 lol?

Radio was invented before 1907, but the first station came later - after World War I at least, because I can think of no "radio broadcasts" dealing with World War I. Had there been radio stations during the war, they would have been all about broadcasting news on the conflict.

I am a UT alumnus and will never be a Vandy fan. Even though my brother attended Peabody College and was forced to play in the Vanderbilt band, he is not a Vandy fan. We refer to them as Kybos (porta potties).

VN Store

Back