SEC going with 1 permanent?

Unless, we can move into a Top 5 recruiting class 3 out of every 4 years, I’m afraid we would be looking at 2 to 3 wins every 10 years on average. Why do that if you don’t have to do it.
I think I've become a masochist over the past 60 years.

Reactions: tobybeast
That’s still on the table, to do 1-7 and play everyone every two years.

Who would be UT’s permanent?

Who do you want as UT’s permanent?

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.

Alabama is my choice to be the permanent rival.

It’s still on the table because the lower tier programs in the conference keep pushing only eight conference games because they want another guaranteed win in the non-conference. I’d still be shocked if the conference doesn’t go to nine games. It makes too much sense to do so.
The leader of that group ⬇️
2252EEBA-0FCA-40EF-B5BC-FEE545250916.jpeg

Yeah the one permanent opponent is actually pretty easy:

Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vandy
UGA-Florida
Ole Miss-MS State
OU-Texas
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina
Yep................It ain't rocket science.
But I'm not sure the SEC studied basic geography in school....................

We will probably get Vanderbilt as our permanent rival and I would rather have a consistent competitve rival every season.
I get it.......but there will be plenty of difficult games on the yearly schedule............Vandy is the only real choice.

The ONLY school in the country that considers UT as their "biggest" rival is Vanderbilt.
Ask 100 Vols fans who "our" biggest rival is.....you will probably get 5 or 6 different answers.

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.

Because the conferences, in their greed, have become too big, I don't think there should be any permanent opponents. Teams should play a random selection of conference opponents, and then the following year play those teams that they didn't play the year before. So, yes, I like the idea of playing everybody every two years: That is a fair approach--or as fair as you're going to get given how laughably large the SEC is going to be--and it wants to add still more teams, apparently. It's all greed and nonsense. The league seems to be making a lame attempt to keep some traditional rivalries, when if it really cared about tradition and rivalries it wouldn't have become this bloated conference with a bunch of new schools. Tennessee would be stupid to accept having Alabama as our one permanent opponent--we'd immediately be at a disadvantage compared to every other school in the conference. I say no permanent opponents, and if you lose bama-auburn or georgia-florida, too bad. The league has only itself to blame.

Unless, we can move into a Top 5 recruiting class 3 out of every 4 years, I’m afraid we would be looking at 2 to 3 wins every 10 years on average. Why do that if you don’t have to do it.
Sorry, but this is chicken ****. Pathetic.

It also doesn’t make sense. The worm is finally turning where we might be on top in the series again for a decade or so. The UT-Bama rivalry has historically been cyclical.

If they go 1-7, Tennessee's permanent would likely be Kentucky or Vanderbilt.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Don’t know how true it is but SECMike reported ESPN said they were not paying more money for 9 forcing SEC to stay at 8 games. ESPN owns the full SEC schedule now so they basically have the SEC by the balls. ESPN is owned by Disney & I don’t think it’s one of Disneys most profitable properties so I can see ESPN being hesitant to add more expense to their balance sheet. ESPN owns the rights till 2036 or something.

Not having an exit clause or ability to adjust if the league changes in the agreements doesn’t present Sankey & SEC brass in the best light. JMO

Reactions: SmokinBob
I would agree if we only get 1 permanent it would probably be Vandy. You would think the SEC would want to keep the "Instate" rivalries intact.

Edit: I would love the 1-7 format as I want to see us play all teams every two years instead of the east every year and rotate the others.
The other proposal wouldn't have us play the east every year just 3 protected rivals. We'd still play everyone every 2 years. We'd have 3 protected rivalries and cycle the other 12 teams on a every other year basis playing 6 each year. Personally I prefer that there's no way I wanna lose the Bama rivalry

Didn't North Carolina and Wake Forest play a "non-conference" game this year?
That’s an interesting idea. Package rivalry games that aren’t part of the normal schedule as their own “classic” or something that doesn’t count toward conference record. Sort of how Premier League teams ply each other in the FA Cup but it isn’t a Premier League game technically so the broadcast rights are different.

I get it.......but there will be plenty of difficult games on the yearly schedule............Vandy is the only real choice.

The ONLY school in the country that considers UT as their "biggest" rival is Vanderbilt.
Ask 100 Vols fans who "our" biggest rival is.....you will probably get 5 or 6 different answers.
Pretty sure UK considers us their biggest rival.

I think Kentucky probably considers us their biggest rival in conference.

Reactions: SpookyAction

VN Store

Back