SEC going with 1 permanent?

Vandy is our traditional rival, Bama is our most exciting. Sucks that we are just now making Bama/UT competitive again, only to get it taken away.

On the other side, I like the Vandy guaranteed win. Don't really care about the SOS, I mean UGA will probably win another title this year with a crap schedule and OSU has been doing it for years. At the end of the day all that matters is the trophy, nobody really remembers or cares what the schedule was like. If it increases our chances of having a better record at the end of the year, then let's roll with it.

Killing third Saturday in October is a crime in my opinion. I'm old enough to remember that we played Auburn every year as well (First SEC game in September) and I still miss that one. Don't miss playing in that pigpen called Legion Field every year though. For those who don't remember, we alternated the away game with Auburn and Alabama and that took us to Legion field in Birmingham every season. The Birmingham alums from both schools had enough clout to keep games there rather than on campus. Auburn finally broke that model and it wasn't easy for them to do that. Legion field was considered a home field for Bama in their rivalry. Was cool when the ticket distribution was 50/50 (like UF/UGA now), but when it got lopsided, Auburn improved their stadium and flipped the bird (war eagle) to Bama, and left Legion Field forever.

Bama still played there for some time because Denny Stadium was a joke. Bama played all their biggee's in Birmingham, which made their on campus record a joke as well, because that's where they played their cupcakes. They still crow about the W/L record in that stadium without mentioning this *minor* fact. LOL

So look at what happened to the UT Auburn rivalry. It's about the same as UT-Mississippi State (meaning non existent), and that will happen to the third Saturday in October as well. Seen this movie before.

Last edited:
Killing third Saturday in October is a crime in my opinion. I'm old enough to remember that we played Auburn every year as well (First SEC game in September) and I still miss that one. Don't miss playing in that pigpen called Legion Field every year though. For those who don't remember, we alternated the away game with Auburn and Alabama and that took us to Legion field in Birmingham every season. The Birmingham alums from both schools had enough clout to keep games there rather than on campus. Auburn finally broke that model and it wasn't easy for them to do that. Legion field was considered a home field for Bama in their rivalry. Was cool when the ticket distribution was 50/50 (like UF/UGA now), but when it got lopsided, Auburn improved their stadium and flipped the bird (war eagle) to Bama.

So look at what happened to the UT Auburn rivalry. It's about the same as UT-Mississippi State (meaning non existent), and that will happen to the third Saturday in October as well. Seen this movie before.
I also miss the UT-Auburn rivalry. Was great because UT and Auburn had several academic entanglements back then. UT students would do their post grad at Auburn for vet school and AU grads would come to UT for agricultural programs.

Reactions: ptcarter
Killing third Saturday in October is a crime in my opinion.

It's not as though Tennessee and Bama would only play each other once every 4 years as Auburn and Tennessee have done since the 1992 expansion. They will play every other year. Not even close to comparable.

It's not as though Tennessee and Bama would only play each other once every 4 years as Auburn and Tennessee have done since the 1992 expansion. They will play every other year. Not even close to comparable.
You got to admit, it DID kill a rivarly. After our last encounter with Bama, why would you want to wait 2 years?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

It won't work. You can't have a meaningful rivalry with a team you only see once every other year, and who you only see come to your home once every four years. Our way of life is oriented around things that are annual. Birthdays, weddings, holidays, all that jazz. Something that is with you each year can be part of your life. Something that's biennial, on a very instictual level, can't be. So it is with rivalries. That awareness, the observance of the game coming each year, and everything that comes from a yearly tradition, is crucial to making rivalries meaningful.

You got to admit, it DID kill a rivarly. After our last encounter with Bama, why would you want to wait 2 years?
Tennessee and Auburn have played a total of 9 times in the regular season since the conference originally expanded 32 years ago.

Under the proposed new schedule, Tennessee would play Alabama, Auburn and every other SEC school every other year.

I see a big difference between playing 9 times over 32 years and 16 times over 32 years.

Texas and aTm already stopped playing. Texas and OU kept playing. That question kinda answers itself.
They stopped playing because A&M bolted for the sec. That thanksgiving tradition was huge in Texas. They kept playing OU because they were still in the same conference.

Reactions: 08Vol
We are all ready for the little Nick Saban to arrive at the meeting

349178281_158312227057842_838759447141845981_n.jpg

Bruh there’s no way in hell we are gonna be a 16 team conference and only play 8 conference games. That’s beyond ridiculous.
It could happen for 1 season, but it sounds like Sankey is pretty pissed about it. He wants the SEC to be at 9 games.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
They stopped playing because A&M bolted for the sec. That thanksgiving tradition was huge in Texas. They kept playing OU because they were still in the same conference.

I understand all that. But aTm bolted because they didn’t feel as tied to Texas as OU did. If anything, they wanted to get away from them.

I loved Texas-aTm on Thanksgiving and I miss the tradition. But I think the events of the last decade or so have answered the question about which school is Texas’ biggest rival. Furthermore, if TX-aTm are made permanent rivals, there’s no one to pair with OU. At least this way, you can pair aTm with LSU or Arkansas, with whom they’ve had a decade to form a rivalry.

Looks like the above was right on.

Key pull:

"there is one big negative with a multi-year eight-game format. An eight-game schedule—1 permanent plus 7 rotating opponents—will eliminate the league’s secondary rivalry games. Gone would be Alabama-Tennessee, Auburn-Georgia and the impending annual renewal of Texas-Texas A&M. The schools would play every other year instead of annually.

Under consideration is a one-year, temporary eight-game conference schedule in 2024 that will, at least for one year, preserve both primary and secondary rivalries.

That’s probably what will happen,” says one high-ranking SEC administrator. “I don’t see the desire to go to a ninth game and not have any increase from a revenue standpoint."

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/29/what-to-expect-sec-spring-meetings-schedule-field-storming
Kicker is ESPN agreeing publicly to offer more money. They are laying off a bunch of people. Disney is laying off and ESPN is one they would love to offload. IF the schedule goes to a ninth game, I can see ESPN agreeing to increase the amount but not making it front page news and announcing it.

I didn't see anyone else mention this; once we go to the 12 team playoff, 2024, it's highly likely we could run into Alabama in the playoffs. Both teams are positioned well with coaching, recruiting and development to do so. It's VERY possible we could run into them 3 TIMES. Could you imagine AL vs UT at Neyland for a host playoff game? SIGN ME UP!!!!

Reactions: onevol74
I understand all that. But aTm bolted because they didn’t feel as tied to Texas as OU did. If anything, they wanted to get away from them.

I loved Texas-aTm on Thanksgiving and I miss the tradition. But I think the events of the last decade or so have answered the question about which school is Texas’ biggest rival. Furthermore, if TX-aTm are made permanent rivals, there’s no one to pair with OU. At least this way, you can pair aTm with LSU or Arkansas, with whom they’ve had a decade to form a rivalry.
The Dallas News ran an article on this very question of who is Texas’ biggest rivalries. The list was the top 5.
1. Texas A&M
1a. Oklahoma
3. Arkansas
4. Baylor
5. Nebraska
The Oklahoma game became a lot bigger when A&M bolted because it was the biggest game in the conference. Sadly not many of those games were close. When Texas got their own network that was last nail for A&M. They are hoping to renew that rivalry when Texas joins the SEC. I grew up all Vol but in my house it was a thanksgiving tradition watching Texas/Texas A&M eating Turkey. I much preferred Oklahoma vs Nebraska. But i think the point boils down to which fan or fans you ask. I think from a Texas point of view they hate A&M and Oklahoma about the same. Either way im looking forward to Texas in the SEC so we can watch them annually again. Its been to long.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
And we have won 3 times in like 16 years over our "rivals" that everybody would love to see us play every year. One of them we could play in Atlanta a lot of years, but will not get the opportunity to play in Atlanta if we play them in the regular season.

Reactions: GreveHaller
I think they go with an 8 SEC team schedule where each team gets 2 rival matchup but 1 rival matchup is excluded every 8th year

By the time we get to our 8th season in 2032 the SEC will probably get 4 more schools anyways

Last edited:
Killing third Saturday in October is a crime in my opinion. I'm old enough to remember that we played Auburn every year as well (First SEC game in September) and I still miss that one. Don't miss playing in that pigpen called Legion Field every year though. For those who don't remember, we alternated the away game with Auburn and Alabama and that took us to Legion field in Birmingham every season. The Birmingham alums from both schools had enough clout to keep games there rather than on campus. Auburn finally broke that model and it wasn't easy for them to do that. Legion field was considered a home field for Bama in their rivalry. Was cool when the ticket distribution was 50/50 (like UF/UGA now), but when it got lopsided, Auburn improved their stadium and flipped the bird (war eagle) to Bama, and left Legion Field forever.

Bama still played there for some time because Denny Stadium was a joke. Bama played all their biggee's in Birmingham, which made their on campus record a joke as well, because that's where they played their cupcakes. They still crow about the W/L record in that stadium without mentioning this *minor* fact. LOL

I enjoyed going to the ball games in Birmingham, until the area became an impossible place to walk and park your car. I had a brother who live in the suburbs and had a nice place to stay the evening and come back home on Sunday.

Reactions: ptcarter
I'm just happy that UGA won't get by with playing a joke SEC schedule to go with their joke OOC schedule in years to come.

Reactions: volfaninky
I'm just happy that UGA won't get by with playing a joke SEC schedule to go with their joke OOC schedule in years to come.
Not really a joke anymore. Next year’s schedule is definitely soft but they’ve got big ooc opponents coming up in future seasons plus a P5 school at the end of the schedule every year.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back