SEC going with 1 permanent?

Would rather no permanent than that ! Might as well hold a random draw every two years and whatever the draw is, do a home and home. Followed by another draw.
Bama been the number 1 program in the nation past 15 years and UT was the only team in the East who had to play them every year didn’t hear you say anything about fair then…

We've had it rough with the permanents.
Somebody has to win the new permanent rival lottery.
Why not us?
I think we should have either Vandy or UK. It is the historical rivals
I would rather have UK, honestly. It will usually be a better football game.

It hurts to remember we were almost even with Bama when Saban was hired.

Reactions: 08Vol
Let's define a rivalry game. One that makes the fan base excited, fills the stadiums, large TV audience. Maybe we get Vandy as a single permanent, but let's not kid ourselves. It's a dud and of all the schools in the SEC, UT would have the least compelling game of anyone. Of course you have rivalry games outside the SEC. Clemson , USCjr maybe. Kentucky, Louisville maybe. UT Vandy is a yawner. Only good news is it makes it easier to get to the championship game.

If they go to the 1-7 format, these will be the permanent opponent for each team.
Vandy/Vols
UGA/UF
Bama/ AUB
OM/MSU
TEX/OU
TAMU/LSU
MIZ/ARK
UK/USC
Until ESPN pays for those rivalries they thought they would get already lol

UF permant is UGA and you get Vandy every year?

Seems.... fair?
I can understand your feelings on this a bit at the moment, but this is a good thing for both FL and GA IMO. It’s likely that you guys might have a few rough years from here being that GA is up right now, but it’s still going to be a big national game every year giving FL a chance to make a statement. At this point for the next few years, if GA wins it’s really no big deal, but if FL wins it’s huge. You know, FL is back in business and GA is beginning to slip kinda thing. I hope it doesn’t happen for awhile, but history tells me it’s coming sooner rather than later.

Also, come on man! No GA or FL fan wants to go through a season without watching this game. I can remember anticipating this game knowing we were gonna get killed, and usually we did when I felt that way, but once or twice we got lucky and it was awesome. I can also remember thinking many times that we would kill the Gators and we got waxed, always sucked. Really though, it would be terrible to lose this game. I don’t want to lose the Auburn game or TN game either, but I’d hate more to lose the FL game.

Reactions: SmokinBob and 08Vol
I wouldn't be surprised if they went with one permanent which on it's face, would look like it got rid of old rivalries like UT-Bama and AUB-UGA, but then the SEC buys itself a year by putting Bama in UT's rotation the first year and UGA in Auburn's. That would make it where the first true year without those games would be 2025, and the SEC would have another whole year to try and shake ESPN down for more money and for public sentiment to grow to force ESPN to pony up to save the rivalries.
This ⬆️ is next level, genius negotiation tactics if true
Looks like the above was right on.

Key pull:

"there is one big negative with a multi-year eight-game format. An eight-game schedule—1 permanent plus 7 rotating opponents—will eliminate the league’s secondary rivalry games. Gone would be Alabama-Tennessee, Auburn-Georgia and the impending annual renewal of Texas-Texas A&M. The schools would play every other year instead of annually.

Under consideration is a one-year, temporary eight-game conference schedule in 2024 that will, at least for one year, preserve both primary and secondary rivalries.

That’s probably what will happen,” says one high-ranking SEC administrator. “I don’t see the desire to go to a ninth game and not have any increase from a revenue standpoint."

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/29/what-to-expect-sec-spring-meetings-schedule-field-storming

Last edited:
Reactions: 901 Orange
Alabama is my choice to be the permanent rival.

Mine too, but if it's just one they aren't breaking up the Iron Bowl. Ours would be Vandy. From a record standpoint, I'd definitely prefer Vandy. But on the Rival side, there's no game I get more exited about than TN/ Ala. I'm older, so to me Ala is our biggest rival. To the younger ones, most see Fla as our biggest.

That’s still on the table, to do 1-7 and play everyone every two years.

Who would be UT’s permanent?

Who do you want as UT’s permanent?

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.

I just wish they would decide and release the schedules.

Preferably 3 permanents is the plan. But either way some of us are trying to plan things for the fall season and until the schedule is released, its all on hold.

Also UT seems to be in the 8 game camp. UGA and UF prefer 9.

"Some schools have been public about their support for nine games, no matter the unanswered questions about additional revenue, bowl eligibility or CFP chances. Those include Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU and, oddly enough, Missouri."

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/29/what-to-expect-sec-spring-meetings-schedule-field-storming
I read one on the athletic that says we are in the undecided camp.

If they go to the 1-7 format, these will be the permanent opponent for each team.
Vandy/Vols
UGA/UF
Bama/ AUB
OM/MSU
TEX/OU
TAMU/LSU
MIZ/ARK
UK/USC
Yep. If the SEC is anything, it's a money sucking hole. They won't give away product by adding games for free and the top programs in this league likely want it that way. My money is on 1-7.

Is the SEC the only conference concerned with storming the field. It happens in other conferences and you hear nothing about it. The defining scene for all of college football for 2022 was the dramatic Tennessee victory over Alabama and the resulting celebration.

Sankey should be more concerned about players abusing females than the positive emotion of the game. What a friggin joke he is?

Nothing has to be voted on this week. Although, it would be preferred. I think this 8 game thing will be a 1 year deal and then move to 9 in 2025.
I doubt if they would move to 9 games for a couple of years to hold out on ESPN making a money deal.

I doubt if they would move to 9 games for a couple of years to hold out on ESPN making a money deal.
I think that’s the ploy. Sankey is planning on making ESPN renegotiate for 2025. Ross Dellenger and others seem to think the 8 game schedule will be a 1 off with OU and Texas in the league. It needs to be. IMO The conference and the tv partner owe it to the fans to give them the best possible product . Nobody is wanting to pay for that extra game versus Mercer the week before Thanksgiving.

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back