SEC Commish Calls Out UCF

tnburban

SEC commissioner calls out UCF - says they need to schedule better out of conference. And he brings up basketball, which is not scheduled as far out as football. Ok, the football issue, that sounds great, but there a two problems with that.

#1 - out of conference schedules are usually decided years in advance
#2 - any top ranked school would not want to play UCF as if they win, they prove UCF is a fraud and don't get a lot of credit for the win, but if they lose it is devastating.

If you were Miss St, would you schedule UCF for a home-and-home? What about LSU? Or UT? Would you want UT to do a home-and-home with UCF?

I would like to see the playoff expanded to 8 teams. 5 bids for the 5 P5 conference champs (as decided by the conference). 1 Group of 5 school, as decided by the committee. And then two at large decided by the committee.

Sankey Calling Out UCF

Lol. The UFC hate is beyond dumb. Why are they so hated? Because all they do is win. They’re not allowed to speak up over a broken system? All they can do is play their schedule. I don’t care whatever anyone says, they had a much claim at the Natty as a team who didnt win their conference or DIVISON (they couldn’t even win a 7 team division but they’re national champs? Yeah okay.) Fix the playoff. Give small teams a chance. It’s what makes March madness so special isn’t it? 8 teams can guarantee the best of the small teams get a crack at it.

If you were Miss St, would you schedule UCF for a home-and-home? What about LSU? Or UT? Would you want UT to do a home-and-home with UCF?

The answer is obviously "no," but not because of UCF's quality. Why would LSU, UT, Bama, etc be willing to play in UCF's 44k seat stadium? Maybe MSU, Vandy, USCe or UK would consider it, but why would any decent SEC program give UCF a return trip? What could they possibly get out of it.

And UCF insists upon home-and-homes, so they can't schedule any P5 programs that have any self-respect.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Lol. The UFC hate is beyond dumb. Why are they so hated? Because all they do is win. They’re not allowed to speak up over a broken system? All they can do is play their schedule. I don’t care whatever anyone says, they had a much claim at the Natty as a team who didnt win their conference or DIVISON (they couldn’t even win a 7 team division but they’re national champs? Yeah okay.) Fix the playoff. Give small teams a chance. It’s what makes March madness so special isn’t it? 8 teams can guarantee the best of the small teams get a crack at it.

UCF created the hate with the National Champs talk. If they had continued their “We belong in the playoffs” quest they would have the support of the world, but instead they went a petty route.

Sorry UTK but no.... they don’t have a claim to the natty. That’s just ignorant.

UCF created the hate with the National Champs talk. If they had continued their “We belong in the playoffs” quest they would have the support of the world, but instead they went a petty route.

Sorry UTK but no.... they don’t have a claim to the natty. That’s just ignorant.
Agree with this.

UCF did this to themselves. We all know they're an overrated mid-major taking advantage of a weak schedule, like that Hawaii team that got slaughtered by UGA whenever that was. Their own arrogance is what breeds this.

Lol. The UFC hate is beyond dumb. Why are they so hated? Because all they do is win.
Not exactly. They play a non-P5 schedule and over the last 2 seasons, they've defeated one good P5 team, two P5 teams total, and they think they're national champs because they went undefeated. That's what drives the dislike. This isn't the NFL. Not all undefeated seasons are created equal in college football. For the last couple years, they have been a P5-level team playing in a non-P5 conference. If they played Tennessee's schedule this year, just as an example, they probably would have lost at least 3 games and not a soul is talking about them as a national title team, or even a NY6 bowl team. It's possible they'd even lose a game they aren't supposed to, like to a Mizzou - their defense is suspect (36 to FAU, 30 and 41 to Memphis, 40 to Temple).

UCF gets a great deal. They still get a NY6 bowl and a huge payout. The long-term solution for them is to try and get in a P5 conference during the next round of conference realignment. Even if they did find P5 teams that wanted to play them, the games would be scheduled at least a few years out.

If they beat LSU, are they legit ?
It certainly is another feather in their cap, but we don't really know how good they really are until they play a full P5 conference schedule. I'd call them legit if they played in a P5 conference and either won or almost won that conference. I think the only P5 conference they could have won this year would be the Pac 12. They wouldn't beat Ohio St, Clemson, Alabama or Georgia, or Oklahoma.

Playing a G5 schedule all year then facing one good P5 team at the end of the season in a bowl game is a little different than playing 8 SEC teams + one non-conference P5 opponent over the course of a regular season.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I'm not on their bandwagon but this is the same discussion tossed around about Boise State, who beat everyone they played and if I recall made Oklahoma look foolish. UCF is currently playing with a back up QB. If they beat LSU ( I hope so can't stand those fans) then I'll consider them legit. National Champions, no. But if they want to hang a banner and proclaim themselves a Natty I'm okay with that. Hell it's what teams did in the past anyway.

It certainly is another feather in their cap, but we don't really know how good they really are until they play a full P5 conference schedule. I'd call them legit if they played in a P5 conference and either won or almost won that conference. I think the only P5 conference they could have won this year would be the Pac 12. They wouldn't beat Ohio St, Clemson, Alabama or Georgia, or Oklahoma.

Playing a G5 schedule all year then facing one good P5 team at the end of the season in a bowl game is a little different than playing 8 SEC teams + one non-conference P5 opponent over the course of a regular season.

They don't even have to play a full P5 schedule, but they have to beat someone good in the regular season and likely do it for a several seasons like Boise did. People can point to beating Auburn last year, but beating them in the Sugar Bowl and beating them in the regular season are 2 different animals.

Boise built up their rep over years and set themselves up to get into the BCS Championship one season and a missed FG doomed them. Houston was on the same path a few years back and had they run the table in the regular sesaon they likely would have gotten a playoff spot.

Reactions: vols33
The Boise comparison doesn't work as Boise works to play real teams at least once a year, and has for a while.

Might have more effect if Sankey referenced college football examples instead of using college basketball to talk about UCF football.

Reactions: iuvol2012
no it doesn't. 5 conference champs, ND, and then 2 one loss non conference champs, only loss being CCGs, would still be much stronger than UCF.

look at it this year SOS matters. OSU didn't get in because their SOS wasn't great. UGA almost got in because the SOS was great. OU made it in because their their last game was against a better team than who OSU or UCF played.

look at the rankings. why is perfect Bama ranked higher than perfect Clemson or ND? SOS.

UCF's SOS was 83rd. Boise, Memphis, BYU, MTSU, etc etc etc, played tougher schedules than UCFs. so its not like they can't schedule better opponents as non P5. the lowest SOS to get in was Clemson at 76. and there was definitely conversations about what happened if they lost because their SOS was so weak, and they have earned some leeway with past work in the CFP. UCF hasn't done that.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The Boise comparison doesn't work as Boise works to play real teams at least once a year, and has for a while.

That's why I said they need to schedule real P5 teams and beat them for a few years to build up a rep; Boise had earned it, UCF still hasnt'.

More so than a team that isn’t the best out of a group of 7 teams. Btw UCF beat the team that won that division.

SEC commissioner calls out UCF - says they need to schedule better out of conference. And he brings up basketball, which is not scheduled as far out as football. Ok, the football issue, that sounds great, but there a two problems with that.

#1 - out of conference schedules are usually decided years in advance
#2 - any top ranked school would not want to play UCF as if they win, they prove UCF is a fraud and don't get a lot of credit for the win, but if they lose it is devastating.

I would like to see the playoff expanded to 8 teams. 5 bids for the 5 P5 conference champs (as decided by the conference). 1 Group of 5 school, as decided by the committee. And then two at large decided by the committee.

Sankey Calling Out UCF
Why problem #1? They haven't been good for ten years so what's wrong with them going ahead and scheduling some big name teams? Do they not plan on being good in 4 or 5 years?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Come on, that part is beyond dumb. Because they won a crappy conference, they have more of a claim than Alabama last year? You must be crazy.

How far in advance are the opening neutral site games scheduled? It seems like they could have gotten into one of those more quickly than usual.

I mean Houston came out of nowhere kind of in 2015 and beat FSU in the Peach Bowl. The next season they opened with #3 Oklahoma at the Texans' stadium. Did that just work out really well for them or did they get that game set up, because they beat OU and set up what would have likely been a playoff run until they stumbled against Navy.

VN Store

Back