SEC Camp Whispers

I'm usually not a nega-vol, but we're pretty f*©ked in this situation going into the season imo. Come at me all you want, but you simply can't start the season with one half-@$$ed scrimmage going into your first game! I'm praying to be pleasantly surprised but fully expecting that TN gonna TN 😐

“Whisper.”

I’m not sure how they are getting these “whispers” with the limited media availability during fall camp.

Seems more like bunk rumors meant to drive clicks rather than based in fact. I’m sure we have had our struggles this offseason, but I can’t imagine we’ve had struggles any different than other teams.
The fact that we've not had near the amount of scrimmages the other SEC teams have had is no secret.

I'm usually not a nega-vol, but we're pretty f*©ked in this situation going into the season imo. Come at me all you want, but you simply can't start the season with one half-@$$ed scrimmage going into your first game! I'm praying to be pleasantly surprised but fully expecting that TN gonna TN 😐

This might be true if you are LSU right now, but we are returning the same QB room, same RB room, same exact O-line, most of the same defensive players, and both coordinators from last year. It’s not like these guys don’t know how to play together.

As it has been stated numerous times.... it comes down to QB play. How will JG look when Quez and Jennings aren’t there to eat up the defense?

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
This might be true if you are LSU right now, but we are returning the same QB room, same RB room, same exact O-line, most of the same defensive players, and both coordinators from last year. It’s not like these guys don’t know how to play together.

As it has been stated numerous times.... it comes down to QB play. How will JG look when Quez and Jennings aren’t there to eat up the defense?
I feel you, I do. A lot of the personnel have game experience and what not, but they've also missed all of spring camp and haven't had a complete scrimmage yet. It's been a long time since these kids have experienced a game. I don't think it's inconceivable to expect them to be rusty.

Reactions: 08Vol
I feel you, I do. A lot of the personnel have game experience and what not, but they've also missed all of spring camp and haven't had a complete scrimmage yet. It's been a long time since these kids have experienced a game. I don't think it's inconceivable to expect them to be rusty.
We’re rusty and so is the other team who also are installing a new offense.

Reactions: GBOx2
Unless there is a huge COVID outbreak that leaves many key players unavaiable against USCe and Mizzou, we have no excuse to start off slower than them. We have head count/coordinator continuity, no huge distractions, and more experience at key spots (QB, OL). Absent a huge breakout that severely impacts our G1 and G2 rosters, we have no excuse not to be 2-0 heading to Athens.
Pretty sure we all thought this going into game three last year but hey we were wrong

I think we will be okay. I do expect us to sloppy but the 1st two games are very winnable.

Except he references Pruitt talking to media and paraphrased that Pruitt said he was pumped because only 34 players were out and the team will go two weeks into the season in “camp mode.”
Exactly.... If I was Pruitt, that is the exact same message I would be championing regardless of what reality was. Pruitt may very well be telling it exactly like it is to the media. It is his reputation to do so - granted not as much with the media. However it wouldn't surprise me much either if Pruitt secretly likes what he is seeing out of his players right now and is promoting a storyline that others will believe so that we'll be overlooked early. Information is power. I'm hoping our third year coach figured that part out.

Exactly.... If I was Pruitt, that is the exact same message I would be championing regardless of what reality was. Pruitt may very well be telling it exactly like it is to the media. It is his reputation to do so - granted not as much with the media. However it wouldn't surprise me much either if Pruitt secretly likes what he is seeing out of his players right now and is promoting a storyline that others will believe so that we'll be overlooked early. Information is power. I'm hoping our third year coach figured that part out.

So he’s going to lie just to throw people off? That’s not his style. Go to the Finebaum thread that talks about what Pruitt said and tell me that’s reassuring.

With or without Covid, it all boils down to execution and discipline. From the games I have watched so far this season, the team that has the best execution early and limited their penalties have won. Due to all the discombobulated practices, too many teams had way too many false starts and offsides calls that killed their chance to win. We should test SC, especially early, with a lot of hard counts and a lot of movement on the DL to hopefully provide us an edge. This and come out of the gate with a bad*ss attitude.

With as much time as our OL has missed due to Covid and contact tracing, I'm afraid hard counts might cause us as many or more false starts than SC offsides.

Reactions: jeff1vol and 08Vol
Need a QB. That's all we need. Lines are set on both side. Skill and veteran leadership at WR and DB. Backs good to great.

Need a QB
Well we need a QB, whoever it is to play well or better. I don’t know about how good or great our running backs are, and wide receivers are Very unproven. As for the off. Line I’m in the show me mode. Lots of press clippings though. Hope they all jell early.

Well we need a QB, whoever it is to play well or better. I don’t know about how good or great our running backs are, and wide receivers are Very unproven. As for the off. Line I’m in the show me mode. Lots of press clippings though. Hope they all jell early.
I know people haven’t seen much, but Ainge made a comment the other day without trying to put down our team that basically we aren’t able to score a lot of points this year. It sounded like he had some frustration in his voice and wanted to say more than he did. I’m guessing this will be a pretty miserable season.

247Sports worried Tennessee isn't quite ready and is "developmentally behind in a lot of ways"... which is something I have been worried about considering the start of our past two seasons under Pruitt. They ask, how many games before Tennessee starts looking like a football team?

We really can't start the season again looking like we did last year; it hurts recruiting.

Camp Whispers Video
No sh**. This could be a disaster we don't have the practice everyone else does.

We've developed guys. Especially on defense. We have a lot middle of the road guys that have provided valuable snaps, specifically on the defensive line. I think we're talented at LB but not a ton of experience. Secondary is gonna be good.

On offense it all comes down to QB play. RB will be solid, OL is gonna be one of the strengths of team even if Mays isn't cleared. And we have plenty of talent at WR.

But you're right, we can't afford a slow start. If the offense can hit the ground running, we're gonna be fine and I think poised for a surprising season.

The biggest issue this year is covid protocols. It can undo everything in a hurry.
The biggest area in desperate need for development. It should be interesting to see how a season full of SEC teams only impacts that development.

247Sports worried Tennessee isn't quite ready and is "developmentally behind in a lot of ways"... which is something I have been worried about considering the start of our past two seasons under Pruitt. They ask, how many games before Tennessee starts looking like a football team?

We really can't start the season again looking like we did last year; it hurts recruiting.

Camp Whispers Video
Pure speculation and likely fake news. If you do not have anything to report, make something up to create channel hits. They will have something concrete to report after game 1.

When is the last time we had a top 15 to 20 or higher pass defense? Better yet. Whats the highest our pass defense has ever finished a season?
I think the pass defense finished pretty highly the 4-8 season because we were giving up like 300 yards rushing every game

Edit: 2017 we finished 3rd in opponent pass yardage per game

VN Store

Back