SEC Camp Whispers

I'm usually not a nega-vol, but we're pretty f*©ked in this situation going into the season imo. Come at me all you want, but you simply can't start the season with one half-@$$ed scrimmage going into your first game! I'm praying to be pleasantly surprised but fully expecting that TN gonna TN 😐
Yep.

Unless there is a huge COVID outbreak that leaves many key players unavaiable against USCe and Mizzou, we have no excuse to start off slower than them. We have head count/coordinator continuity, no huge distractions, and more experience at key spots (QB, OL). Absent a huge breakout that severely impacts our G1 and G2 rosters, we have no excuse not to be 2-0 heading to Athens.
We have also had over half of our miss one or more practices during the last 2 weeks and we will have more in the future. It is difficult to be prepared when you haven’t practiced. We have a lot of very talented Freshmen who could contribute if they get enough practice. This year may turn out to be a long Spring practice against other teams instead of against teammates.
Next year may get back to “normal “.

Reactions: Catbone
247Sports worried Tennessee isn't quite ready and is "developmentally behind in a lot of ways"... which is something I have been worried about considering the start of our past two seasons under Pruitt. They ask, how many games before Tennessee starts looking like a football team?

We really can't start the season again looking like we did last year; it hurts recruiting.

Camp Whispers Video
Ok, I’ll play devils advocate...
Or, Pruitt is not as dumb as people think he is and he’s playing the media and their “camp insiders” like a fiddle and the Vols come out on September 26 and smoke that @$$ for the gamecocks!
GBO!!

Reactions: GBOx2
Heard that bama has had at least 4 full game scrimmages already. We have had one without all our players there... NOT good.

If the point of having conference only schedules was to keep teams from having advantages over others, then there was no point in doing conference only schedules. We are clearly at a disadvantage because of our laws compared to many others in our conference.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Well maybe. It's going to depend where there other programs are going into covid camp, vs where we are going into covid camp, and that's a pretty broad spectrum.
Bingo. Not all sec schools are treating covid tracing as aggressively as UT contract tracers. Pruitt has been very vocal about this issue. What may get you 14 days at UT will not get you any at UGA, Bama and that is fact

I need to understand how these other schools aren't getting destroyed by contact tracing.
There is not a “rule” for all schools. It’s up to each individual school to do their own contract tracing. Now this week there is a third party doing the testing so we will see how positive cases go, but as far as 14 day isolation, that’s a crap shoot

Bingo. Not all sec schools are treating covid tracing as aggressively as UT contract tracers. Pruitt has been very vocal about this issue. What may get you 14 days at UT will not get you any at UGA, Bama and that is fact

So in other words, we aren't as serious about football as other schools. Judging by the bargain bin approach with our hires over the past decade, this shocks us how?

First off I doubt very seriously that there’s any legitimacy to anything getting out of camp at this point. Pruitt is notoriously careful to not let any outsiders in. Similar to Saban. That being said...history says we probably won’t start well. We all know who is under center. Imo the greatest mistake that Pruitt has made is continually playing a guy so incompetent. We’ve have really good receivers and olineman the last couple of seasons. But jg hasn’t been able to capitalize. The biggest cause for concern I have is that in reading reports if scrimmages etc...there’s no competition for the no1 qb job. AGAIN!! How many years is it going to be handed to him?

Last edited:
View attachment 306839

2019 was 16th against the pass; 2011 and 2009 were 12th against the pass

Nowhere to be found against the Run. We do face the best run attacks in College Football every year.

Last 2 years of butch everyone ran it 40ntimes a game because we couldn't stop them. Was not need to pass. So some these numbers may be skewed

View attachment 306839

2019 was 16th against the pass; 2011 and 2009 were 12th against the pass

Nowhere to be found against the Run. We do face the best run attacks in College Football every year.

Our run defense was so bad in 17 that nobody bothered to pass against us. Too many times there was a 20 foot wide lane up the middle to run through.

Honestly I think every coach should get a free pass this year. All this quarantining is really throwing everything off. It’s next to impossible to get a team ready to play the way you need them to play if the entire team can’t even practice. Just be ready for some really ugly football across the board from a lot of teams this year.

First off I doubt very seriously that there’s any legitimacy to anything getting out of camp at this point. Pruitt is notoriously careful to not let any outsiders in. Similar to Saban. That being said...history says we probably won’t start well. We all know how is under center. Imo the greatest mistake that Pruitt has made is continually playing a guy so incompetent. We’ve have really good receivers and olineman the last couple of seasons. But jg hasn’t been able to capitalize. The biggest cause for concern I have is that in reading reports if scrimmages etc...there’s no competition for the no1 qb job. AGAIN!! How many years is it going to be handed to him?

I don't think he has handed him anything. I do believe, like every other position, the QB job is a competition. Last year BM was a true freshman and JT was a RS freshman so I would assume they didn't do enough to unseat JG and quite frankly, no one would expected them to. And if last year was any indication, JG was still our best option at QB despite all his inconsistencies. That's mainly bc neither BM or JT was ready to see the field and it was unfortunate that we had to play them throughout the season.

Going into fall camp this year with no spring or summer would be difficult to do enough to unseat JG as well IMO but I do think the leash will be short and if the reports/rumors are true, JT has put himself in position to be first out the bullpen.

We also have to keep in mind all the pre-snap stuff that goes into the QB position that JG probably exceeds in that gives him an advantage. Plus we all know JG is a really good practice player so it really lines up perfect for JG to win the job over the other inexperience QBs. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
247Sports worried Tennessee isn't quite ready and is "developmentally behind in a lot of ways"... which is something I have been worried about considering the start of our past two seasons under Pruitt. They ask, how many games before Tennessee starts looking like a football team?

We really can't start the season again looking like we did last year; it hurts recruiting.

Camp Whispers Video
I thought everybody said we look like a football team finally.? Make up your damn mind.

Reactions: Catfishvfl
I’m just worried we will come out slow again like the last two years. We can’t afford a repeat of last year.

Need a QB. That's all we need. Lines are set on both side. Skill and veteran leadership at WR and DB. Backs good to great.

Need a QB

Agreed Vols need a QB but they also need a dominate pass rusher just as much.

This year is gonna be crazy for al teams.

Every week teams will have different line ups due to covid and quarantine.

Some teams may have games where all starters are out.

It's not gonna be normal for any team.

I don't think he has handed him anything. I do believe, like every other position, the QB job is a competition. Last year BM was a true freshman and JT was a RS freshman so I would assume they didn't do enough to unseat JG and quite frankly, no one would expected them to. And if last year was any indication, JG was still our best option at QB despite all his inconsistencies. That's mainly bc neither BM or JT was ready to see the field and it was unfortunate that we had to play them throughout the season.

Going into fall camp this year with no spring or summer would be difficult to do enough to unseat JG as well IMO but I do think the leash will be short and if the reports/rumors are true, JT has put himself in position to be first out the bullpen.

We also have to keep in mind all the pre-snap stuff that goes into the QB position that JG probably exceeds in that gives him an advantage. Plus we all know JG is a really good practice player so it really lines up perfect for JG to win the job over the other inexperience QBs. Just my 2 cents.
My confushas been when the QB position is open you rotate QBs with thr 1s and 2s...every report has JG with the 1s and everyone else 2s and 3s...to me that is handing him the job with no competition...

Reactions: Big Al Orange
My confushas been when the QB position is open you rotate QBs with thr 1s and 2s...every report has JG with the 1s and everyone else 2s and 3s...to me that is handing him the job with no competition...

With no media being allowed at the practices due to COVID I have no clue who is running with who. It would make sense that JG is running with the 1s since he finished last season as the starting QB. I think if someone was killing it and JG was horrible in all phases throughout camp we would have someone else starting in 9 days. But again with no spring or summer how realistic was it for one of these young QBs to take the spot from JG? JG still has to perform to keep his spot and I have to assume he has done enough to do so to start the season even though we all know his leash is hella short.

I'm trying to temper my excitement for the start of the season bc of our start last year. Hopefully we have learned from that and will be better prepared, that goes for Pruitt as well. I mean after all, we blew a 10 win season in YEAR 2 for Pruitt coming off 4-8 and 5-7 seasons. Its natural for us to feel good going into this year even with the unknown from the QB position and an all SEC slate.

That doesn't seem to sit well with the neverJG couch potato coaches like yourself. How dare them to give the starting QB job to the person ol Couch Coach Whodey thinks is garbage. Time for you to start calling out the coaching staff for this. I'm sure you'll have a bunch of folks on here agreeing with you once they figure out that you indeed evaluate QBs better than one of the best talent evaluators in the country in Coach Pruitt.

I need to understand how these other schools aren't getting destroyed by contact tracing.
A lot of them are. No one knows which "COVID Protocol" is being used by each team though. Most states have left it up to local authorities to make the decision. Everyone is relying on their own specific "experts".

Fact is when a coach says he is happy to just have 34 guys out missing practice I'd say we losing the first game for sure and we will be lucky to win 5 games this year
Spoken like a true "just shut the world down" upside down optimist. I guess if you set your expectations in the latrine, you won't be disappointed. This is year of deception and misinformation. Who is to say that Pruitt isn't playing up the "oh woe is me" aspect of the COVID idiocy to get USC to underestimate the team? I think USCJr is even worse than Ga St last year. Ya'll can keep wailing and gnashing your teeth. I will approach this season like I did every year when I was a student in the 80's. One game at a time.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Spoken like a true "just shut the world down" upside down optimist. I guess if you set your expectations in the latrine, you won't be disappointed. This is year of deception and misinformation. Who is to say that Pruitt isn't playing up the "oh woe is me" aspect of the COVID idiocy to get USC to underestimate the team? I think USCJr is even worse than Ga St last year. Ya'll can keep wailing and gnashing your teeth. I will approach this season like I did every year when I was a student in the 80's. One game at a time.
I'll take the guy who gets paid millions over a nobody every day

Reactions: Pride85

VN Store

Back