SEC Camp Whispers

De La Cloobs

The Vol is strong in this one.
247Sports worried Tennessee isn't quite ready and is "developmentally behind in a lot of ways"... which is something I have been worried about considering the start of our past two seasons under Pruitt. They ask, how many games before Tennessee starts looking like a football team?

We really can't start the season again looking like we did last year; it hurts recruiting.

Camp Whispers Video

We've developed guys. Especially on defense. We have a lot middle of the road guys that have provided valuable snaps, specifically on the defensive line. I think we're talented at LB but not a ton of experience. Secondary is gonna be good.

On offense it all comes down to QB play. RB will be solid, OL is gonna be one of the strengths of team even if Mays isn't cleared. And we have plenty of talent at WR.

But you're right, we can't afford a slow start. If the offense can hit the ground running, we're gonna be fine and I think poised for a surprising season.

The biggest issue this year is covid protocols. It can undo everything in a hurry.

When is the last time we had a top 15 to 20 or higher pass defense? Better yet. Whats the highest our pass defense has ever finished a season?

Reactions: 08Vol
247Sports worried Tennessee isn't quite ready and is "developmentally behind in a lot of ways"... which is something I have been worried about considering the start of our past two seasons under Pruitt. They ask, how many games before Tennessee starts looking like a football team?

We really can't start the season again looking like we did last year; it hurts recruiting.

Camp Whispers Video

Unless there is a huge COVID outbreak that leaves many key players unavaiable against USCe and Mizzou, we have no excuse to start off slower than them. We have head count/coordinator continuity, no huge distractions, and more experience at key spots (QB, OL). Absent a huge breakout that severely impacts our G1 and G2 rosters, we have no excuse not to be 2-0 heading to Athens.

Unless there is a huge COVID outbreak that leaves many key players unavaiable against USCe and Mizzou, we have no excuse to start off slower than them. We have head count/coordinator continuity, no huge distractions, and more experience at key spots (QB, OL). Absent a huge breakout that severely impacts our G1 and G2 rosters, we have no excuse not to be 2-0 heading to Athens.
I think we haven’t had a full team practice the entire camp. Pruitt said himself that there is no way they are getting in the full 20 days of practice. There have been over 40 guys out this season already and our def backs have been out with injury and contact tracing. We have had guys go in twice for 14 day quarantine. That’s a lot of missed days. I expect it to be sloppy and slow for USC.

“Whisper.”

I’m not sure how they are getting these “whispers” with the limited media availability during fall camp.

Seems more like bunk rumors meant to drive clicks rather than based in fact. I’m sure we have had our struggles this offseason, but I can’t imagine we’ve had struggles any different than other teams.

“Whisper.”

I’m not sure how they are getting these “whispers” with the limited media availability during fall camp.

Seems more like bunk rumors meant to drive clicks rather than based in fact. I’m sure we have had our struggles this offseason, but I can’t imagine we’ve had struggles any different than other teams.
Agree. This seems like low hanging fruit for anyone to make this prediction based on last season. If it doesn't happen no one is going to remember this prediction.

There is no media allowed into practice or anything this season. Everything reported is either directly from UT athletics or second hand hearsay that often seems questionable to the authenticity. Point being is think about who controls the narrative, and what they might want the narrative to be.

I think we haven’t had a full team practice the entire camp. Pruitt said himself that there is no way they are getting in the full 20 days of practice. There have been over 40 guys out this season already and our def backs have been out with injury and contact tracing. We have had guys go in twice for 14 day quarantine. That’s a lot of missed days. I expect it to be sloppy and slow for USC.

Agree but other teams are in similar situations as us with COVID. This is where coaches earn their $$$$. We should be at more of an advantage than Mizzou/USCe due to coaching continuity and experience and USCe has had significant off the field issues as well.

I'm not the type to make excuses. If our 2 deep is relatively intact, we should win those first 2 games. I've seen the mental gymanstics we had last year excusing the GSU game for a couple of injuries although our backup's backup was higher rated than their GSU counterpart

With or without Covid, it all boils down to execution and discipline. From the games I have watched so far this season, the team that has the best execution early and limited their penalties have won. Due to all the discombobulated practices, too many teams had way too many false starts and offsides calls that killed their chance to win. We should test SC, especially early, with a lot of hard counts and a lot of movement on the DL to hopefully provide us an edge. This and come out of the gate with a bad*ss attitude.

Reactions: GBOx2
We've developed guys. Especially on defense. We have a lot middle of the road guys that have provided valuable snaps, specifically on the defensive line. I think we're talented at LB but not a ton of experience. Secondary is gonna be good.

On offense it all comes down to QB play. RB will be solid, OL is gonna be one of the strengths of team even if Mays isn't cleared. And we have plenty of talent at WR.

But you're right, we can't afford a slow start. If the offense can hit the ground running, we're gonna be fine and I think poised for a surprising season.

The biggest issue this year is covid protocols. It can undo everything in a hurry.

The bolded is what 247 is referring to, not whether this staff can develop players if the players are able to attend practices.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Agree but other teams are in similar situations as us with COVID. This is where coaches earn their $$$$. We should be at more of an advantage than Mizzou/USCe due to coaching continuity and experience and USCe has had significant off the field issues as well.

I'm not the type to make excuses. If our 2 deep is relatively intact, we should win those first 2 games. I've seen the mental gymanstics we had last year excusing the GSU game for a couple of injuries although our backup's backup was higher rated than their GSU counterpart
and our backup's backup's backup
It was all on the staff, the team was not ready.
If we are to have a .500 season this year, we gotta get the first two.

Reactions: 08Vol
When is the last time we had a top 15 to 20 or higher pass defense? Better yet. Whats the highest our pass defense has ever finished a season?
1600272184375.png

2019 was 16th against the pass; 2011 and 2009 were 12th against the pass

Nowhere to be found against the Run. We do face the best run attacks in College Football every year.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
The bolded is what 247 is referring to, not whether this staff can develop players if the players are able to attend practices.
Most of the players that are going to be playing have been developed though. The ones that are coming in fresh, I agree. But unless we have an influx of those upperclass guys out, we will be fine. Anything can happen though, as we've seen before.

Camp Whispers Video

If Pruitt doesn't have them ready for the start of the season AGAIN, we need to start thinking about his replacement.

I had wondered if this would be the case for most teams this year. If so, we'll be fine.

I had wondered if this would be the case for most teams this year. If so, we'll be fine.

Well maybe. It's going to depend where there other programs are going into covid camp, vs where we are going into covid camp, and that's a pretty broad spectrum.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Well, we should at least be "fresh!" Glass half-full answer...

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
There is no media allowed into practice or anything this season. Everything reported is either directly from UT athletics or second hand hearsay that often seems questionable to the authenticity. Point being is think about who controls the narrative, and what they might want the narrative to be.

Except he references Pruitt talking to media and paraphrased that Pruitt said he was pumped because only 34 players were out and the team will go two weeks into the season in “camp mode.”

Last edited:

VN Store

Back