Scariest Movie You’ve Seen?

A little off topic but even though Norman Bates was the bad guy in Psycho...I felt myself wanting him to get that car hidden before the police came....its a master that can create empathy in a killer...only other movie I felt that was with Michael Douglas in Falling Down...think he even had the line "Wait I'm the bad guy?"

Psycho will always be disturbing if you know that Norman Bates is loosely based on the infamous murderer Ed Gein.

Reactions: BigOrangeGirl
The Amityville Horror

But that was when I was a kid, and didn't understand until years and years later that it was all fake.

I assume you mean the original movie that has Margo Kidder and Murray Hamilton as a Priest.
The remake is a far better movie because it's not boring since the movie remains disturbing and terrifying, the movie has a body count, etc.

I know it's not a typical horror movie, but I saw An American werewolf in London at the theater when I was around 10 years old.

The scene when he dreams of the nazi monsters killing his family scared the bejesus out of me
Yep! And then woke up (or so he thought), to a sweet, hot nurse in his room... but then she gets brutally stabbed to death too! ... and then he really does wake up. That's a movie that keeps you on your toes. A great combination of humor, horror and gross out fun.

Reactions: vols 30
After all these years, the exorcist stands alone.
Even by today's standards, the scene where Regan is stabbing herself in the vagina with a crucifix and screaming, "Let Jesus F*** You!" in a demonic voice is unsettling... and then comes the 180 degree head spin and "You know what she did? Your c***ing daughter!" in Burke's voice (just after her mom had learned that he had died by decapitation).... I can't imagine what watching that scene in a movie theatre in 1973 must have been like. NOTHING like that had ever been done in a movie before. Director William Friedkin later admitted that the studio had bribed the Motion Picture Association of America into allowing the scene to remain in the movie with it's R rating in tact. The MPAA initially gave it an X, because of that one scene.

I don't really consider it scary though... just really shocking.

The Exorcist is my favorite movie of all-time, but I don't think it's the scariest. Probably because I've seen it like 35 times and now appreciate it more for its filmmaking than the scares. I was also a bit older, like 16 or 17, when I first saw it. Scary movies hit differently when you see them really young.

It hasn't aged as well as some of the other classics, but the original Nightmare on Elm Street scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. And after a recent re-watch, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the original Halloween holds up. Similar to Exorcist, I've seen it so many times now that it isn't scary anymore, but I could tell that it would still be genuinely creepy to a first-time viewer.

Candyman (1992)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Paranormal Activity (2007)

All creeped me out in one way or another. PA was the ultimate "bump in the night" scary movie to me. Probably the only thing that ever made me want to sleep with a night light. Candyman has one of the creepiest atmospheres of any movie I've seen and I am continually amazed at how well-directed it was.

Reactions: 615vols
The Shining is still the GOAT

The Descent is scary af

Poltergeist makes my stomach hurt when I watch it it is so scary

The Exorcist never really did much for me. Maybe you have to be religious?

This will sound weird, but I've never really got scared watching a movie. I've had a few scenes that made me uneasy, and not horror scenes. That said, when the coungering came out I rented it one night while my wife and kids were at a girl scout sleep over. I was watching it in the dark with the dog, and she jumped up, and walked to our hallway. She just stood there growling into the dark, and that kinda freaked me out 🤣
have you seen hereditary?

Reactions: 615vols and bignewt
The Shining is still the GOAT

The Descent is scary af

Poltergeist makes my stomach hurt when I watch it it is so scary

The Exorcist never really did much for me. Maybe you have to be religious?

I feel about The Shining similar to how you feel about The Exorcist. It's a good movie, and Nicholson was incredible, but I've never thought it was all that scary.

And Shelley Duvall was absolute cringe.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
The Exorcist is my favorite movie of all-time, but I don't think it's the scariest. Probably because I've seen it like 35 times and now appreciate it more for its filmmaking than the scares. I was also a bit older, like 16 or 17, when I first saw it. Scary movies hit differently when you see them really young.

It hasn't aged as well as some of the other classics, but the original Nightmare on Elm Street scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. And after a recent re-watch, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the original Halloween holds up. Similar to Exorcist, I've seen it so many times now that it isn't scary anymore, but I could tell that it would still be genuinely creepy to a first-time viewer.

Candyman (1992)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Paranormal Activity (2007)

All creeped me out in one way or another. PA was the ultimate "bump in the night" scary movie to me. Probably the only thing that ever made me want to sleep with a night light. Candyman has one of the creepiest atmospheres of any movie I've seen and I am continually amazed at how well-directed it was.

Original Halloween is timeless. Never gets old to me.

For some weird reason, "Candy Man" still gives me the creeps
200.gif

Reactions: orangepridenation
200.gif

I still believe it's a genuinely underrated movie. It's not so much the jump scares or gruesome deaths as much as the psychological element it puts you in. I think it was more disturbing than scary, and the urban legend itself was pretty scary.

Reactions: peaygolf
200.gif
I watched it in middle school. I was on a mini vacation with my friend. She didn’t have a mom in her life, but her dad was great and he took us to Nashville. We girls had our own hotel room and he was next door. This scared the **** out of us!! We begged to stay in his room the next night 🤣🤣

Reactions: peaygolf
Even by today's standards, the scene where Regan is stabbing herself in the vagina with a crucifix and screaming, "Let Jesus F*** You!" in a demonic voice is unsettling... and then comes the 180 degree head spin and "You know what she did? Your c***ing daughter!" in Burke's voice (just after her mom had learned that he had died by decapitation).... I can't imagine what watching that scene in a movie theatre in 1973 must have been like. NOTHING like that had ever been done in a movie before. Director William Friedkin later admitted that the studio had bribed the Motion Picture Association of America into allowing the scene to remain in the movie with it's R rating in tact. The MPAA initially gave it an X, because of that one scene.

I don't really consider it scary though... just really shocking.
I haven’t watched it, but I had a friend tell me about that scene in high school. Just hearing about it really disturbed me. I was very sheltered growing up anyway, and hearing that just shook me lol.

Salo was probably the most disturbing horror film I watched. As far as scariest, I would have to say the ring when I saw it alone in the theatre. And I’m not kidding here, my phone rang 7 days later and I thought twice before answering

Reactions: joevol33
Freddy movies freaked me out as a kid..........the fact that he would get you in your sleep made it hard to go to bed at night. I especially hated when he turned that girl into a cockroach..........yuck!

I don’t know about the entire film, but the nurse station scene in the Exorcist III is probably the scariest scene I’ve ever seen in my life. It probably didn’t help matters that I first saw it when I was like 12 years old and it scared me half to death.

VN Store

Back