Scale 1-10 how important is the Vanderbilt game and why?

I’ll say a 5.

It’s “somewhat” a rivalry, it’s a conference game, and it gives players another time to stomp Vandy.

However Tennessee will roll Vandy, it will be like the 90’s again………..because “I” think it’s a definite win and it’s just Vandy…….it not overly important.

Feels like I’m taking it for granted again…….like I should be able to…….and that’s a good thing (providing Tennessee does win).

I get the question and all, but I’m pretty sure we’ll have them beat in the first quarter…

I'll go with a 7 because we SHOULD be them. More important is the 4-4 sec record.

I'll give it a 1.

Vanderbilt is terrible. This game means absolutely nothing. I think South Alabama could take Vandy.
Would you get excited over Tennessee playing a glorified HS team? Not me! There is no possibility of an upset. If we fail to win by 25+ it will be marked down as a failure.

This is how this "game" should be viewed....like a glorified scrimmage against an FCS school.

It’s a 10 to blow them out. It’s a 10 to beat them in November. It’s a 10 to beat them bad going into a bowl game. I’ve always considered trying to win all November games going into the bowl game, and into next season is always a priority to get better.

That is literally the way CJH approaches coaching. The players consistently point out that he constantly, and seriously, looks at every single practice, meeting, film session or game as an opportunity to go 1-0 for that instance. That is one thing that keeps the players from looking ahead to the next game or getting too caught up in themselves.
I would hope the coaches treat it that way. But the reality is that it’s really not a 10/10 in importance. Even if you were to grade relative to this year’s schedule there’s no way it’s more important than the Kentucky game was. So it can’t be a 10. Last game of the year, bowl game locked up, unlikely to be a meaningful one against a meaningful opponent. The game is pretty unimportant.

Fortunately, we are already bowl eligible, so a loss to Vanderbilt is not as critical as it would have been if looking for 6th win to go bowling. But the pride of this team
WILL NOT let that happen! VOLS - 52, Dores - 13

Years ago Vanderbilt was a given. It didn’t matter if we had won 10-15 in a row still you don’t lose to them. Not the in state rival. Important game . I’ll give it an 8 on the scale 1-10.

I am going with 10. Lose, we don’t have a winning reg season and we go to a lesser bowl game and we lose a chance to end up in the top 25 which will not help recruiting. We also need to see a team and staff that can go the whole season.

10. It’s one step closer to an 8 win season (including bowl) and this time last year, if I’d said 8 wins was realistic with the state of the program, I’d been banned for life on here. But here we are so why the hell not go for 8 Dubbs.

I would hope the coaches treat it that way. But the reality is that it’s really not a 10/10 in importance. Even if you were to grade relative to this year’s schedule there’s no way it’s more important than the Kentucky game was. So it can’t be a 10. Last game of the year, bowl game locked up, unlikely to be a meaningful one against a meaningful opponent. The game is pretty unimportant.
Whether it is important in reality or not, my point is that CJH seriously considers every aspect of the process as a 10 on the importance scale. Call it coach speak or not; listen to the players when they talk about his philosophy. He approaches every day as the most important day of the program and has his players trying to win every day and go 1-0.

I'm not saying we will. I have watched Vandy play and they are a dumpster fire being pulled by a train wreck. Losing to them this year would be unacceptable.
We could play the walkons and beat Vandy this year.

Whether it is important in reality or not, [/]my point is that CJH seriously considers every aspect of the process as a 10 on the importance scale. Call it coach speak or not; listen to the players when they talk about his philosophy. He approaches every day as the most important day of the program and has his players trying to win every day and go 1-0.

Is that not what’s being asked here

VN Store

Back