Scale 1-10 how important is the Vanderbilt game and why?

Scale 1-10 how important is the Vanderbilt game and why?

bb7gs.gif

Years ago Vanderbilt was a given. It didn’t matter if we had won 10-15 in a row still you don’t lose to them. Not the in state rival. Important game . I’ll give it an 8 on the scale 1-10.

It is a 1 this year. I think the only people who would give it an 8 are those who live near Nashville, and are actually exposed to their local media. On paper, it is an important game, and I expect the team to treat them with the respect the weekly opponent deserves. You can't overlook anyone. And I guess it is possible for 30 players for the Vols to get injured, and Vanderbilt to play 5 or 6 of their better women's soccer team players to provide an unforseen wrinkle.

But I believe we will see South Alabama as a more prestigious opponent. Just based on what Vanderbilt has shown (or failed to show) this year. And it is all because Vanderbilt does not truly invest in football. If they ever did, they would be finding a spot to build a 80,000 seat stadium, or convince the Titans to allow them to use their stadium on Saturdays.

If we were still being coached by Dooley, Butch, or Pruitt? Vanderbilt might be a 5. If you are giving them an 8? You need to cancel your subscription to the Tennessean, and stop tuning into whatever radio or TV channels in Nashville is trying to talk them up. Maybe ETSU would like to join the SEC while Vandy joins the Southern Conference. Even after not having a football team for 12 years, they are actually building something. Beating them might be a 6. Vandy might be a -1, but that was just below the scale you asked for.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
9. Losing to that turd team would be a sour end to an unexpectedly decent season. That being said, we beat them by several scores. They can’t handle our offense:

Years ago Vanderbilt was a given. It didn’t matter if we had won 10-15 in a row still you don’t lose to them. Not the in state rival. Important game . I’ll give it an 8 on the scale 1-10.

score will be like the S Alabama game. along those lines. Don't need to scale it at all. Just get ready to go recruit..

Vandy isn’t worth a 10 as an opponent but winning and going 7-5 with a chance to go 8-5 is huge in terms of keeping our momentum and finishing strong so winning is a 10. I think hitting 60 points again is also a ten. Nothing against Vandy, they are just next up and in our way. If we also lay a lot of points on our bowl opponent that would be huge for recruiting.

Vandy is irrelevant. We are no longer irrelevant.

May as well be South Alabama all over again. Enjoy a good nap in the 2nd half.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
There are rivals it’s important to beat, and then there are rivals it’s important not to lose to. Vandy falls into the latter category. Still an important rivalry game of a sort for two reasons:
1. Vandy has had inordinate success against us since ‘05.
2. Beating Vanderbilt down and establishing UT as the premier football program in the state was the very first part of Neyland’s legacy, back in the 1920s. Simply put, beating Alabama makes a Tennessee team good; beating Vanderbilt makes a Tennessee team a Tennessee team.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
They don't call it "Hatred in the Hills" for nothing . . .

Has anyone actually ever heard this rivalry called that?

A loss would basically negate everything positive about the season so far. That makes it a 9 or 10 on the must win scale.

Agreed. I think it is important to blow them out, if possible. To have a close game - though way better than losing - would put a damper on all the earlier blowout wins.

Saying this game is a 10 is like saying “the next game is always the most important” 🙄
I give it a zero. It’s only significant if the threat is real. Vanderbilt is hot garbage this year. Game will be over by halftime.

It’s like the posting of a govt. job opening. Go ahead and apply, but they already know who is getting hired. They show up with their truck of shoulder pads, helmets and cleats. Put them on and run around the field for several hours , and take them off and put them back in their truck and send it to Nashville. WGWTFA
Y’all are right. If UT loses this game it absolutely doesn’t negate a decent season. It’s not important at all.

Y’all are right. If UT loses this game it absolutely doesn’t negate a decent season. It’s not important at all.
Totally disagree from a recruiting standpoint. Such a statement is like saying the Alabama and Georgia losses were not that important. Just because Georgia and Bama were ranked 1 & 2, didn’t make the loss less meaningful, recruits watch everything.

Like I have said before,the Nashville cops,if they catch you speeding on West End blvd.,they give you season tickets to candy home.games,if they catch you again,they make.you attend.Put a Nichols on their faces.and don't let up ever.

Reactions: BanditVol
For a coach it's a 10. It's the one game they can lose and immediately be on the hot seat. For a fan it should be a 1-2 for the fact it shouldn't even have to be a concern for a win.

Reactions: Raebo
Like I have said before,the Nashville cops,if they catch you speeding on West End blvd.,they give you season tickets to candy home.games,if they catch you again,they make.you attend.Put a Nichols on their faces.and don't let up ever.

well every other year you get to see the Vols, so maybe not so bad

VN Store

Back