'19 SC WR Xavier Legette

Suggested on the podcast that this offer might be sincere, but it also just might gamesmanship. This is a guy uscjr was trying to sneak a blue shirt under the radar, so maybe UT offer helps generate interest by other programs and robs uscjr of that chance.

Price had an interesting quote on the podcast. Basically saying the staff is doing their due diligence on the kid, but that he thinks this offer may be a little bit of gamesmanship by them in order to pressure South Carolina.

“It was better than what I expected. I didn't know the facility was that great and the stadium was that big. And the way the fans carried them through the win, it was great.” Legette is playing quarterback this season at Mullins, but he’s being recruited to play wide receiver or defensive back in college. He said first-year Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff told him during Saturday’s visit “that I can play any position I want,” but Pruitt specifically mentioned wide receiver — Legette’s preferred position — along with the possibility of using him as a wildcat quarterback. “He said he knows that I’m a wide receiver, but he still wants me to play a little bit of quarterback if I come there,” Legette said. “Tennessee is the only school that’s told me that. I’ll take that. I’d love to do it."

He said he arrived at Tennessee “kind of early” Saturday and “toured around the campus and the new facility,” and he was excited by everything the Vols have to offer. “I like how they have the dorms set up,” Legette said. “You don’t have to share a room with anyone. You can have your own room. It’s way bigger. It’s way bigger,” Legette said of Tennessee. “It’s more stuff to experience than South Carolina — the city and the campus. When I was there, I rode around a little bit after the game.”

“Most of the coaches on the staff were texting me (last week) saying that they really like how I play and I need to get up to Tennessee,” he said. “They want me to commit. But I told them I’m going to wait it out and see about all of my options, because I know there’s more offers coming, so I’m going to wait it out. “They said I’m a big priority for them. They said they want me up there bad.”

“I want to go back, but I don’t really know if I’ll be able to,” Legette said. “They wanted me to come this weekend, but I won’t be able to make it. But after the season’s over — because this weekend coming, it’s their last home game — I’ll probably come back up, just to come up and chill with the players some.”

They're pushing him to commit?

I think he might be embellishing. All signs point to us being limited in spots and us being very selective with who we take. We're still in on Haselwood, Payton, Brown, etc.... seriously doubt we're pushing hard for this kid and he's slow playing us.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Mullins Auctioneers? Okay, who can explain how that nickname came about?
Yep went to high school there. It is a huge center for tobacco sales. The town has a golden leaf (tobacco) festival, and is filled with tobacco warehouses (and fields, with the necessary federal allotments) so tobacco companies around the world travel to Mullins to buy tobacco that is traditionally "auctioned" off.

I also know his parents. If I recall correctly, his mother a college professor, passed away a few years back. I know his father and played ball and went to Clemson camp with his cousin. I still have my Auctioneers Letterman jacket. Go Aucs!

Reactions: peaygolf
Tennessee also checked in on athlete Xavier Legette on Thursday. The Mullins prospect took an unofficial visit to Tennessee in November and plans to take an OV in Knoxville in January.
-VQ

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
We need this guy. True sleeper. Imo he's a another Bryce Thompson. The fact that Mullins rarely produces D1 talent is keeping his recruitment quiet. But the fact remains he is a baller. Trust me on this.

Reactions: scvolfan7
An under-the-radar prospect that emerged with several SEC offers after posting some excellent senior film, Legette was a late grab by the Gamecocks after a spot opened up in their class. Most had expected Legette to wait to sign until February and he might have been a popular name among programs looking to add late talent had he waited. South Carolina smartly added him with very little fanfare on Friday, a move that could pay on-field dividends down the road.
Legette is a terrific athlete who played quarterback and showed off his ability with the football in high school. He projects as a wide receiver at the next level and has good size and strength. He’ll be more of a possession guy for South Carolina until he adds a bit more speed but I see him as an excellent red zone threat and an important late pickup for the Gamecocks.
-Rivals

VN Store

Back