'20 SC WR Ger-Cari Caldwell (uscjr commit)

Three-star wide receiver Ger-Cari Caldwell, a former East Carolina commitment from Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, S.C., has emerged over the past several weeks as one of Tennessee’s top remaining targets. Caldwell received a visit from Vols quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke on Friday, the first day after the end of the monthlong dead period for recruiting, and sources said Tennessee still is battling for his final remaining official visit. He’s currently scheduled to travel to South Carolina next weekend, the final weekend before signing day, meaning that any visit he plans is likely to be scheduled for this weekend.

Sources said South Carolina and Tennessee are believed to be the front-runners for Caldwell, with the Gamecocks likely having at least a slight edge at the moment. Baylor and Wake Forest already have hosted him on official visits, and Duke, Oregon, East Carolina and Central Florida are among the other schools still fighting for his final visit. Clemson also has started to show interest in him and is expected to visit him this week, according to a source, and while the Tigers have yet to extend an offer to him, they haven’t ruled out pursuing a third receiver for their 2020 class. If they do try to add a receiver, Caldwell likely would be the top choice left on their board. But sources said the Vols might be the favorite to host him this weekend, if he decides to take another visit.

- Callahan

USC receivers coach Bryan McClendon visited Caldwell on Friday, and the receiver will take an official visit the end of the month. “We’re just in the process in the moment of getting me up there for an official, setting everything up and just getting everything rolling back with this dead period (ending),” Caldwell said. “I’m feeling pretty comfortable with them. We have a strong relationship at this point. I would say we have a pretty strong relationship still. It has gotten better with the consistent texts and things like that. Everything has been going good so far between us.”

Clemson might jump into the race for Caldwell, but as of Thursday night, he said he had not heard much from the Tigers. He said new receivers coach Tyler Grisham did contact him in the days before the national championship game on Monday night. An offer from the Tigers would raise his level of interest in them. “I would try and take a visit up there, actually,” Caldwell said.

Caldwell has taken official visits to East Carolina, Wake Forest and Baylor, and the coaching change at Baylor has not affected his interest in the Bears as the receivers coach is still there. Those two remain in the hunt along with Tennessee, which could get a visit from him this weekend.

Caldwell last big in-state recruiting prize for 2020 class

Love it. Long as Evans is in it I will be happy. Add 2 of Beckwith, Caldwell and the other WR I’d be ecstatic

Hey Griddie. Nice to see you posting again.
Vols have to pick it up in North Carolina for 2021. Can't believe we let Simpson get away from us this year...

Well if we get Evans, that more than makes up for that.

Reactions: ALLVOL24/7/365
Love it. Long as Evans is in it I will be happy. Add 2 of Beckwith, Caldwell and the other WR I’d be ecstatic
I think ideally your looking at best case bring Evans, Weidman, and beckwith.

But I'm glad Caldwell is visiting.. Cause that's probably an unlikely finish

Hey Griddie. Nice to see you posting again.
Vols have to pick it up in North Carolina for 2021. Can't believe we let Simpson get away from us this year...

Well if we get Evans, that more than makes up for that.

Yeah I wish we had gotten him. NC class was top heavy with a big drop off in 20. This 21 class is loaded and will probably have over 50 D1 signees

Yeah I wish we had gotten him. NC class was top heavy with a big drop off in 20. This 21 class is loaded and will probably have over 50 D1 signees

Dang near 20 4 stars according to 247.
That's impressive .
Anyword on kids trending to the Vols?
Who's the top player in NC this year?

He was at USCjr last weekend, and is going back for his OV the last weekend before NSD. You would assume Cackalacky would have the inside track, but they are a hot mess

He was at USCjr last weekend, and is going back for his OV the last weekend before NSD. You would assume Hackysacky would have the inside track, but they are a hot mess

Funny, wonder if this kid having these type offers is byproduct of ESD?

We will have 3 WR options we will have gotten on campus that are at least 6'4". Hopefully, we land at least one of them. I would gladly take any of the 3, or any combination of the 3. If Zach Evans makes it in, everyone will shift all focus to him. While anything is possible, I'll definitely take a wait and see approach on that one.

WR GER-CARI CALDWELL
Caldwell, a senior at Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, S.C., is a former East Carolina commitment who has watched his stock rise since announcing his decommitment from the Pirates on Nov. 28. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Caldwell has picked up offers from South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Baylor, Virginia, Duke, N.C. State and Northwestern since reopening his recruitment, and he now holds offers from more than a dozen schools in all. He also recently has drawn interest from Clemson, although he has yet to receive an offer from the Tigers. He took official visits to Baylor and Wake Forest last month leading up to the Early Signing Period, and Tennessee is scheduled to host him on an official visit this weekend.

He also went on an official visit to East Carolina in September. All six predictions on the 247Sports Crystal Ball point to home-state school South Carolina, which hosted Caldwell on an unofficial visit last weekend, as the favorite to land Caldwell.
- Callahan

Reactions: quadlee21

VN Store

Back