‘23 SC WR Devin Hyatt (Arizona)

I wish Jalin had the same strength at Receiver as Devin. Devin is a complete WR. Great routes, can beat press, good change in direction and speed. Kid is legit.
Jalin has been a disappointment so far this season. Hopefully he improves.
he's a true sophomore. he'll be fine. i thought he'd be more of a contributor up to this point too, but he's already flashed enough in his time here to know he's just scratching the surface of what he's capable of. i still have relatively high expectations for his career here.

Jalin has been a disappointment so far this season. Hopefully he improves.

Jalin has been hurt/playing through an injury since the 1st quarter of the Pitt game. He was our leading WR against BG, btw. And if he doesn't have someone come down on top of him at Pitt, he likely catches that long ball, and leads us in receiving yards that game too. He didn't play much at Florida for whatever reason, but he took himself after a deep ball was underthrown late in the game and didn't come back in, so that leads me to believe he still wasn't 100% healthy. I didn't see him get much playing time vs Mizzu either.

Overall, I'd say injuries as well early season drops have also allowed for other guys step up, namely Cedric Tillman. I would expect Hyatt to get back into the fold pretty quickly though as he continues to get back to 100%.

Last edited:
Jalin has been hurt/playing through an injury since the 1st quarter of the Pitt game. He was our leading WR against BG, btw. And if he doesn't have someone come down on top of him at Pitt, he likely catches that long ball, and leads us in receiving yards that game too. He didn't play much at Florida for whatever reason, but he took himself after a deep ball was underthrown late in the game and didn't come back in, so that leads me to believe he still wasn't 100% healthy. I didn't see him get much playing time vs Mizzu either.

Overall, I'd say injuries as well early season drops have also allowed for other guys step up, namely Cedric Tillman. I would expect Hyatt to get back into the fold pretty quickly though as he continues to get back to 100%.
He is the WR4 right now according to AP

He is the WR4 right now according to AP

Hyatt still listed as the Number 1 at slot on the depth chart, but given the way Velus played vs Mizzu, I imagine he may have unofficially taken over that role. Obviously it was just 1 game, but Velus Jones was a menace in the slot. And there's no denying that Hooker and Payton seem to have a great connection now. Tillman has played very well too, and seems to be our best blocking WR, which is critical given how much we run the ball.

Hyatt still listed as the Number 1 at slot on the depth chart, but given the way Velus played vs Mizzu, I imagine he may have taken over that role. Obviously it was just 1 game, but Velus Jones was a menace in the slot. And there's no denying that Hooker and Payton seem to have a great connection. Tillman has played very well too, and seems to be our best blocking WR, which is critical given how much we run the ball.
Yea Velus knack for breaking tackles means he should barely leave the field IMO. He's like having a tailback on the perimeter.

Hyatt still listed as the Number 1 at slot on the depth chart, but given the way Velus played vs Mizzu, I imagine he may have unofficially taken over that role. Obviously it was just 1 game, but Velus Jones was a menace in the slot. And there's no denying that Hooker and Payton seem to have a great connection now. Tillman has played very well too, and seems to be our best blocking WR, which is critical given how much we run the ball.
It was VJJ first game at 100%, albeit against a terrible defense is what AP said on the podcast

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL and Carp
he's a true sophomore. he'll be fine. i thought he'd be more of a contributor up to this point too, but he's already flashed enough in his time here to know he's just scratching the surface of what he's capable of. i still have relatively high expectations for his career here.
Because of the Covid year, he is technically a true freshman. This benefits us greatly from the aspect of him and his brother possibly playing together.

It was VJJ first game at 100%, albeit against a terrible defense is what AP said on the podcast

Spring/Summer/Fall injuries among WR core is what hurt some of the early timing and rotations.

Hyatt missed Spring so staff was not able to do much with him. When Callaway went down in 2nd scrimmage Hyatt really started to hit his stride in practice, had solid first game but had the drops that kept it from being bigger then he gets head injury 1st play of Pitt. I think it takes some time to shake off head injuries but things will click for him soon imo. He has been missed a few times for big plays.

Callaway had a big spring, summer, fall then hurt in a scrimmage. This limited him to where we didn’t see him until Pitt game and he had not had much practice. I think things will turn around for him also.

Velus hamstring limited him all fall and I like how this staff played long game with him. Hamstrings can cost you more time if you go to soon.

Holliday can’t seem stay healthy long enough to be consistent.

If those guys can all start getting some rhythm as season goes this offense has even more potential than we have seen so far

Reminds me of Rondale Moore. Just not nearly as explosive, obviously.

That name and Percy Harvin came to mind. Obviously Jones' production is nowhere near Moore and certainly not Harvin but they're similar players.

I think Heupel/Golesh will key into that and will start designing ways to get the ball to him if he proves he's a threat to house it every time he touches it.

Reactions: johnfnkelly

VN Store

Back