Say what you want, CLK screwed up royally with Boyd and Thigpen

Not like Boyd would be playing next season anyway...........considering he is having ACL surgery as we speak. I'd rather save that schollie for next year and get the QB that CLK wants and not someone to just fill a spot.

Wrong!! We need to fill spots to make our mythical recruiting rankings look better. We need our insecure fans to feel better about themselves through the pride gained from pointless team recruiting rankings. That is all that is important right now guys!!

There's a reason Kiff let both our QB recruits go, we're going to survive next year and then get a stud in '10. the only thing it did was hurt our "rivals" or "espn 150" rankings.... and those are completely overrated. People were bashing us signing montori hughes last year saying we just signed him to have a body, but it turns out the recruiting services admitted that they totally whiffed on the guy and he was in fact probably the best prospect in tn last year.

And, he probably knows it now. With only 18 commits as the dust settles, he could have easily had room to at least take a chance on these two talented 4 star skill players. He's not at USC anymore, and finishing just behind MSU for 10th in the SEC should help him realize that.

Say what I want?

Ok...you are an idiot.

Wrong!! We need to fill spots to make our mythical recruiting rankings look better. We need our insecure fans to feel better about themselves through the pride gained from pointless team recruiting rankings. That is all that is important right now guys!!

Oh yea, haha. How could I have been so stupid. :dunno:

And, he probably knows it now. With only 18 commits as the dust settles, he could have easily had room to at least take a chance on these two talented 4 star skill players. He's not at USC anymore, and finishing just behind MSU for 10th in the SEC should help him realize that.

OOOO GET OVER IT!

It's negative posts like this that are not needed!!

Yes, Kiffin Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda done this. Well he didn't so get over it! Don't like it? Go cheer for Bama or something...geez...

Oh, and I'm sure you have been a recruiting coordinator before too. Must be why you seem to know so much. :neener:

Not like Boyd would be playing next season anyway...........considering he is having ACL surgery as we speak. I'd rather save that schollie for next year and get the QB that CLK wants and not someone to just fill a spot.

This is the crux of it. A lot of guys spend so much time obsessing over recruiting that it becomes an end unto itself. That's why you hear this "OMFG we finished #10 in SEC!!!" crap like it actually means something. No, it doesn't.

Scholarships are valuable; they are not to be handed out lightly. You don't offer one to a guy unless you think he's going to help you win football games for four years, and clearly Kiffin didn't think that Boyd was going to be able to do that. You don't just scoop up all the guys you can to boost your Rivals ranking.

After just watching Kiffins and Orgerons presser...I am more convinced now than ever we have the best coaches for UT. They did not offer certain players that we could have had for a reason. They know what they are doing. Also made it clear this class is not done. They are the professionals....not us. I'll put my faith in them. Go Vols!

Spin, spin, and spin some more. Keep it up til you're dizzy, for all I care. All I know is that both these kids can play, and deserved the chance to show it at UT...where they both WANTED to be in the first place. How convenient for all of you to cast judgement now that they "would have rotted on the bench" or "would have never seen the field". Even LK couldn't have proven that...especially against his other QB signee; oh wait.

He screwed it up.

If you don't like CLK and staff i'm sure they will welcome you on the bamer sites.:)

i agree especially with boyd. i think that is the reason the big time wide outs stayed away. just my opinion.

gotta love that we finish "just behind MSU for 10th in the SEC" and bammers still troll here.

Yes, we should absolutely have tied up a scholarship on a kid that Kiffin doesn't really want just so that we could have finished a little higher in Jamie Newberg's rankings. "Sorry you've spent three years on the bench, Tajh, but it was really awesome to finish higher than Mississippi State that one year in that recruiting formula. But Knoxville's great, isn't it?"
:eek:lol:

The best thing that occurred with the coaching transition has to be UT getting a coach with a plan, not someone who did not have a clue. I am tired of winning the recruiting trophies in February and having 2 loosing seasons in the last 4 years with a coaching staff that does not know how to develop players once they got here.

Dude are you for real?? Kiffin is the coach, if he doesnt think they will fit in his system, who are you to say different? Just because the number of stars beside the kids name you think we have to have them? Give me a break! I think he knows more about coaching than you do, so if you dont like it, jump on bama's board and cheer on those turds. I am tired of seeing negative folks like you, pissing and moaning about everything. Good day now!

I can't wait to pull all of these ridiculous threads when Boyd and his bad knee become CJ Leak, V. 2.0.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The truth is, no one knows...but I for one think Boyd will make a good drop back QB if for some reason it is needed...I think maybe the Kiffin was being nice to the kid rather than saying
"Im going to recruit a classic drop back QB next year,dont waste your time fighting the guys we have for the opportunity to hand off 50 times a game next year."

I also think it was a mistake though,IMO...

Some of these whiners over Boyd were the same ones on the Mike Leach Bandwagon. I feel sorry for CLK, here is a man who has saw his newborn son 1 time since birth, as lived on the road for 6 weeks, has had to assemble a staff in that time frame plus recruit, has been out of the college scene along with Monte, Yaw Yaw and Cheney so they had no relationships within the HS players eyes.

Whine all you want but given the adversity they had to overcome they still out performed the year before previous staff. When was the last time our previous staff was able to sway a recruit from FL or Bama in 6 weeks? Boo Hoo we did not want Boyd, cry me a river you big babies. The Boyd deal did not hurt us on Brown, blame his GF who is at GA for that, and it sure did not deter us from getting Richardson. Our staff is going after playmakers and I thought it was very classy when CLK wished MB the best of luck at GA which he said MB called him last night and informed him which again was a class act. If the feeling is not mutual on both sides to sign other then getting a ranking then the signing is a waste.

Then you have those whining about we did not address the need on the O and D line...tisk tisk shame on CLK he only signed 5 out of 19 linemen it should have been all 19, and those 5 LB's should have all been QB's. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Steelers just win the SB? Did they not get there because of their defense? Didn't Florida win the last NC because their defense was able to stop the high powered Sooner offense?

I just wish that computers were around when I was young so I could have become an internet football guru. Oklahoma and Nebraska use to dominate in CFB and neither would have a top 20 recruiting class. It is not about the star ranking as much as it is about finding the players with the chemistry for your system.

I was thinking of CJ Leak too and how awesome it went over with Chris that we had signed his brother to be a pine-rider. Boyd may have been pissed when it happened, but he had the chance to prove Kif wrong. I bet he looks back and is grateful that Kiffin was straightforward with him.

Some of these whiners over Boyd were the same ones on the Mike Leach Bandwagon. I feel sorry for CLK, here is a man who has saw his newborn son 1 time since birth, as lived on the road for 6 weeks, has had to assemble a staff in that time frame plus recruit, has been out of the college scene along with Monte, Yaw Yaw and Cheney so they had no relationships within the HS players eyes.

Whine all you want but given the adversity they had to overcome they still out performed the year before previous staff. When was the last time our previous staff was able to sway a recruit from FL or Bama in 6 weeks? Boo Hoo we did not want Boyd, cry me a river you big babies. The Boyd deal did not hurt us on Brown, blame his GF who is at GA for that, and it sure did not deter us from getting Richardson. Our staff is going after playmakers and I thought it was very classy when CLK wished MB the best of luck at GA which he said MB called him last night and informed him which again was a class act. If the feeling is not mutual on both sides to sign other then getting a ranking then the signing is a waste.

Then you have those whining about we did not address the need on the O and D line...tisk tisk shame on CLK he only signed 5 out of 19 linemen it should have been all 19, and those 5 LB's should have all been QB's. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Steelers just win the SB? Did they not get there because of their defense? Didn't Florida win the last NC because their defense was able to stop the high powered Sooner offense?

I just wish that computers were around when I was young so I could have become an internet football guru. Oklahoma and Nebraska use to dominate in CFB and neither would have a top 20 recruiting class. It is not about the star ranking as much as it is about finding the players with the chemistry for your system.

I can't stand Mike Leach, and wanted Kiffin from the point it became obvious that we weren't getting Butch or gruden.

I still think the Boyd thing was a mistake, but that has a lot to do with the fact that our current quarterbacks don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence.

But... that's my opinion and I'm not going to be hung up on it, other than to say that I've seen Boyd play, and he's a heck of a ballplayer.

If he has more scolly's for next year, and then signs 18-20, then you can fuss.

What do you mean by more scolly's? You can only sign 25 per year with a total of 85 max at any given point.

No matter how you look at it he can only give 25 scholarships next year, period.

I posted this separately in each players thread, but it's worth repeating here. I had a long conversation with someone that has spoken directly with the new staff. He specifically referenced Thigpen and Boyd and here is what was said:

When Thigpen visited Kiffin ran him through some drills, etc and was not impressed. He let Damien know but said he would still honor his scholarship (as agreed to Hamilton). Obviously, this kid wants to play an made the switch. Good for both of them.

Boyd was run through the medical process and he knew he would lose him for a year. It was too much risk for him.

I can 100% tell you that Kiffin is not the least bit concerned about letting either of these two guys go.

VN Store

Back