Same Song Different Verse

I wasn't totally thrilled with Kellie and I am surprised at the lack of energy on the sidelines. I thought we might see more Pat ripping players when they fail to do what they should and then benching even the top players when needed. My main concern was the failure at NC State and now look at State under Wes. He would have been a good selection for us but I was hoping for Walz. I hope Kelly will find that intensity like when she was a player. Maybe shes just feeling her way through a tough conference. Right now I don't see the errors getting fixed or players developing. But for all that it is what it is and will stay the course and hope this start falling into place. Wondered about Jumper comment about the fact they shouldn't play in the WNIT. Why not get all the play time you can and get some wins.

Maybe Kellie's demeanor on the side line is to some effect "no need in hammering these gals, they are doing the best they can". Just try to get the most out of what little they are capable of....

This year wasn’t great, but it wasn’t horrible. Next year, with the return of Green and a few more guards joining the roster, they should be an improved team. If Kellie can't make it work with that squad, then I think she needs to be held to the fire for the following year.

A little past-tensy are we?
We need to get better, and of course LSU played well, we played poorly. And I want to think there’s some unstated reason, perhaps lingering/incubating illness?
But, whatever the reason(s), there’s hardly an excuse for such a performance.
I was hugely disappointed in the dribble drives, but not as disappointed as seeing a hot shooter left vacated for open threes. She wasn’t in motion. Nope, she just stood right there and ...bombs away!
But, this season doesn’t end on Valentine’s Day, it didn’t end last night. And while disappointing, the debacle in Baton Rouge was some five-plus games from the end.

I know you're being sarcastic...but it's true...this team is NOT improving. It's hard to dislike Kellie though. Probably her looks have something to do with it...I'll be honest. Lol...but that will only get you so far. In all seriousness...it's sad to see us drop out of the top 25 again. Hopefully we get some surprise recruits that can actually live up to their billing...because Horston has not....at all. In fact..she has been one of the biggest disappointments on this team imo. I don't expect her to take the SEC by storm...but i expected more than....this.

I expected her to be more like MS ST's
Rickea Jackson

You guys need to chill.

We’re starting 2 freshman and 2 sophomores and it will take an off-season to get everyone in shape and performing at a championship level. We all knew this would be a rough stretch with the backloaded SEC schedule. LSU hasn’t lost a home game since November and Rennia’s illness during the Mississippi State game couldn’t have come at worse time.

Yes, we have had a lot of talent, but are missing critical pieces. Zaay’s injury was devastating, but she’ll be back along with some new recruits that should help next year’s team.

What we don’t need is some of you ‘fans’ chirping about the perceived short comings of some of the freshmen. It gets back to them and their parents, who hopefully have learned to ignore this crap in today’s social media world. We were fortunate that Kellie was able to convince Holly’s last signing class to come to Tennessee. The last thing we need is to lose ANY of them or recruits because of the negative, personal comments on social media by so-called ‘fans’.

What we need is for everyone to get up from behind your keyboards and show up at games and cheer for these young women, win or lose. Things are getting better and will continue to get better, as long as we continue to support this staff and team and not fall into the trap of negativity being promoted by these so-called basketball ‘experts’ (Coach Jumper is the only one here that can claim that title).

BTW, Jeff Walz was NOT leaving Louisville, he was using us to get a new contract and a big raise and Wes’s personality was not a fit.

Last edited:
This team is better than last year. It's in phase one of rebuilding a team; they are beating teams they should beat. Phase two will come with a bunch of tough losses as they play hard against better teams. (that will be frustrating for some of you but you have to go through it.) Phase 3 you beat some teams that should have beaten you. Phase 4, you're back where you want to be.

It's really too early to know what KJH is bringing to the program. Based on MO State she can get a team into a phase 3 situation.

Her real value will be seen in her 3rd year when you should be contesting against better teams. It's much harder to coach bad habits out than good habits in and she is going through that right now. Your team is fundamentally weak and has not accepted defensive concepts. A couple of players seem lazy on the defensive end. All of that is fixable, but it takes time. Right now your team is big and strong but slow. As in business and basketball, it is the quick who eat the big. You have players playing out of position because of roster deficiencies. That hampers what Coach can do.

Trust the process. Trust the grind.

Most of us have spent hundreds of posts trying to convince each other, and ourselves, the team is better under Kellie than under Holly, it isn't...It's just another form of bad.

To let Pointer drive through our defense time and time again, is just not acceptable....Our o'le defense is pitiful. At least foul the girl with a little authority...Anything has to be better than just waving at her as she goes in for another easy lay up, while out team just looks on with admiration...

Kellie has no sign of any emotional anything on the sidelines....She is a big disappointment and the team has taken on her passive demeanor.

They should build a statute for Pointer....
5e45fcde0df95.image.jpg
But we have so much length!

You guys need to chill.

We’re starting 2 freshman and 2 sophomores and it will take an off-season to get everyone in shape and performing at a championship level. We all knew this would be a rough stretch with the backloaded SEC schedule. LSU hasn’t lost a home game since November and Rennia’s illness during the Mississippi State game couldn’t have come at worse time.

Yes, we have had a lot of talent, but are missing critical pieces. Zaay’s injury was devastating, but she’ll be back along with some new recruits that should help next year’s team.

What we don’t need is some of you egomaniacal ‘fans’ chirping about the perceived short comings of some of the freshmen. It gets back to them and their parents, who hopefully have learned to ignore this crap in today’s social media world. We were fortunate that Kellie was able to convince Holly’s last signing class to come to Tennessee. The last thing we need is to lose ANY of them or recruits because of the negative, personal comments on social media by so-called ‘fans’.

What we need is for everyone to get up from behind your keyboards and show up at games and cheer for these young women, win or lose. Things are getting better and will continue to get better, as long as we continue to support this staff and team and not fall into the trap of negativity being promoted by these so-called basketball ‘experts’ (Coach Jumper is the only one here that can claim that title).

BTW, Jeff Walz was NOT leaving Louisville, he was using us to get a new contract and a big raise and Wes’s personality was not a fit.
Not making excuses, but on a Knoxville radio station they said Kellie and 2 other players also had the flu this past week

Reactions: RollerVol
then benching even the top players when needed.
Like maybe Horston last night?

I was also disappointed in the lack of energy last night but remain convinced energy and discipline can and should be enacted in a more intelligent, effective and modern way than face screaming, scary staring and jersey grabbing. Empty symbols that apparently thrill some fans looking for fast fixes but not effective teaching tactics. Want your kids's math teacher to jerk em up in class and publicly humiliate them b/c they can't understand trig? Doesn't mean they can't be held responsible and appropriately disciplined when the don't do their homework of course. Just do so effectively and not with showy grandstanding.

Do you think Pat Summitt would settle for a wnit bid?

Neither do I?

Totally disagree. Of course we could play What Would Pat Do forever and we'll never know. But IMO, given the exact same circumstances Pat would absolutely accept a WNIT bid if we are not deserving of the NCAA.

Why would you not? I think I'm hearing mostly because we're above it. Total bull. Ya'll been watching the last few years? Live in the past much? We are a program scrapping to rebuild our proud tradition before its too late. Exactly what this team needs is every opportunity to practice and moreso to play. Needs to learn what winning consistently while maintaining focus, fundamentals and intensity feels like. Making a deep run in a tourney setting, even the WNIT would be great for this very young team IMO.

If they went and bombed out early, I think some fear it would be an affirmation of how far we've fallen. Well good. Maybe we need to stop kidding ourselves about the task ahead. Can't fix it while denying the extent of the problem. Totally doesn't mean we are content with WNIT status, that we're "lowering standards" But if that's where we temporarily are let's use it to our advantage to get back to tradition LV status.

As far as Pat, I don't think she'd be comfortable with the arrogance (not to speak of irony) of saying no thanks, that's beneath us. Second only to being LV coach, Pat saw herself as chief ambassador of WCBB. Helped every way she possibly could; hard to see her snottily dissing that tourney, those coaches and players.

But I'm pretty sure, absent a total collapse, we'll be in the NCAA.

I don't watch a whole lot of LV basketball, but when I do watch it appears to me that we look very lackadaisical and we often telegraph slow and long passes.
We also don't show aggressiveness on the boards. Maybe I am spoiled watching the men's games.

Like maybe Horston last night?

I was also disappointed in the lack of energy last night but remain convinced energy and discipline can and should be enacted in a more intelligent, effective and modern way than face screaming, scary staring and jersey grabbing. Empty symbols that apparently thrill some fans looking for fast fixes but not effective teaching tactics. Want your kids's math teacher to jerk em up in class and publicly humiliate them b/c they can't understand trig? Doesn't mean they can't be held responsible and appropriately disciplined when the don't do their homework of course. Just do so effectively and not with showy grandstanding.

Totally disagree. Of course we could play What Would Pat Do forever and we'll never know. But IMO, given the exact same circumstances Pat would absolutely accept a WNIT bid if we are not deserving of the NCAA.

Why would you not? I think I'm hearing mostly because we're above it. Total bull. Ya'll been watching the last few years? Live in the past much? We are a program scrapping to rebuild our proud tradition before its too late. Exactly what this team needs is every opportunity to practice and moreso to play. Needs to learn what winning consistently while maintaining focus, fundamentals and intensity feels like. Making a deep run in a tourney setting, even the WNIT would be great for this very young team IMO.

If they went and bombed out early, I think some fear it would be an affirmation of how far we've fallen. Well good. Maybe we need to stop kidding ourselves about the task ahead. Can't fix it while denying the extent of the problem. Totally doesn't mean we are content with WNIT status, that we're "lowering standards" But if that's where we temporarily are let's use it to our advantage to get back to tradition LV status.

As far as Pat, I don't think she'd be comfortable with the arrogance (not to speak of irony) of saying no thanks, that's beneath us. Second only to being LV coach, Pat saw herself as chief ambassador of WCBB. Helped every way she possibly could; hard to see her snottily dissing that tourney, those coaches and players.

But I'm pretty sure, absent a total collapse, we'll be in the NCAA.

As soon as we lower our standards from NCAA to wnit. Then wnit becomes our new standard. And I think that's pitiful. And I think anyone who thinks. That way after this many years of being associated with the NCAA should accept willingly a wnit bid. Is also a fan of giving everyone a trophy Just for participating.

What we don’t need is some of you egomaniacal ‘fans’ chirping about the perceived short comings of some of the freshmen. It gets back to them and their parents, who hopefully have learned to ignore this crap in today’s social media world. We were fortunate that Kellie was able to convince Holly’s last signing class to come to Tennessee. The last thing we need is to lose ANY of them or recruits because of the negative, personal comments on social media by so-called ‘fans’.
And I was so liking your first few paragraphs. Hopefully learned to ignore us? These players and parents have been involved in top level athletic environments for at least half the players lives. They know well there are a ton of grandstand and keyboard coaches in the world all of whom they long ago set on ignore. In the rare cases they do allow themselves to fish for insults on social media, such as with Evina's Mom, they quickly learn what a waste of time that is. Its like a movie star's parents reading bad reviews and arguing with the critic. We're meaningless, I've known a few D1 athletes and they think we're laughable. I'd hope we wouldn't recruit anyone so bush league and unfocused as to choose a school based on a few dozen keyboard warriors.

Of course personal comments are inappropriate and stupid, but I don't consider commenting on players playing and game performance a personal comment. When you play a public sport or entertain in a public way, people gonna comment. Especially on forum that exists exactly to do that! There are forums for sunshine pumping only, and good for them.

these so-called basketball ‘experts’ (Coach Jumper is the only one here that can claim that title).
If we've learned anything, its that anyone can claim anything round here. To an irritating distraction. I can claim to be Henry VIII but it doesn't mean I'm going to behead anyone today.

Last edited:
This fanbase really takes the cake. It doesn't matter which sport, the instant gratification bunch chimes in if things don't START at a championship level. The standard diatribe on this forum over the last few seasons was how bad the Lady Vols played under Holly Warlick. So she gets the boot and they bring in another former Lady Vol in Kellie Harper. She of course gets immediately compared to Pat Summit. Halfway through her FIRST season and she doesn't have this team (Very poorly coached team) ready to win the Big Dance. How dare her!

Everyone forgets that the Pat Summit of the first couple of Seasons at UT wasn't the same as the overpowering personality that dominated Women's basketball for so long after that. Give Kellie time to get things righted before blowing up the ship.

The only way they lose my support or confidence is if they accept a WNIT bid.
That is one step back I will not condone
There is , taking a step back and then there is falling down
Pat would consider this falling down and so would I

If we don't make the tourney, our season should be over and our summer of re-growth should begin!
Do you think Pat would have felt that way in year one? Probably not once she had established UT as a powerhouse, but I bet she would have jumped at ANY opportunity to get the team playing time early on.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
As soon as we lower our standards from NCAA to wnit. Then wnit becomes our new standard.
Why? Only if you let it become a new standard. I need a car. I used to make enough $ to buy a BMW, but not right now. I can afford a nice Toyota. So I walk to work so as not to "lower my standards?" I'm working, after all, with total expectation of being able to buy the BMW next time around.

As far as participation trophies, I think its snowflake behavior to end the season by saying "We could play and practice more, but you guys are totally too good for those losers, our record be damned. Now go enjoy an early spring break". Talk about lettin off easy with inflated egos!

Good grief, I didn't say give Harper seven seasons or anything. I didn't even said to ignore this season, I suggested people focus on the total result, see how they finish (particularly rather than running down players or crapping on the whole thing as a failure), and then see if the recruiting can improve this off-season. If they can sign some difference makers and get better next year, great. If they can't, then fine, get the knives out and go to town.

This team is going no where until the "turnovers" are stopped. There have been 2 games with 27 turnovers and more above 20...they seem to not have any ball security period. The LV team last year was horrible on turnovers and there is no improvement on this team. Coach Barnes of the mens team insists on turnovers of less than 10 per game and last year averaged about 7 to 8. I am surprised that Coach Harper appears to have not done anything with the LV turnovers per game.

Why? Only if you let it become a new standard. I need a car. I used to make enough $ to buy a BMW, but not right now. I can afford a nice Toyota. So I walk to work so as not to "lower my standards?" I'm working, after all, with total expectation of being able to buy the BMW next time around.

As far as participation trophies, I think its snowflake behavior to end the season by saying "We could play and practice more, but you guys are totally too good for those losers, our record be damned. Now go enjoy an early spring break". Talk about lettin off easy with inflated egos!

Arizona would be exhibit A for this. WNIT champion last year; this year, according to Creme, looking at this point at a 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

This team is going no where until the "turnovers" are stopped. There have been 2 games with 27 turnovers and more above 20...they seem to not have any ball security period. The LV team last year was horrible on turnovers and there is no improvement on this team. Coach Barnes of the mens team insists on turnovers of less than 10 per game and last year averaged about 7 to 8. I am surprised that Coach Harper appears to have not done anything with the LV turnovers per game.
One of the most disappointing things about last night was we did actually have the lowest amount of t.o.s, 12, we've had in a long, long time. Didn't help, except to keep us from losing by 30. Of course we always want to limit t.o.s but it turns out not to be the magic bullet, just part of the solution.

During the first season after a coaching change, the only true measure of a coaching staff is improvement. Regardless of personnel, recruiting, injuries, sickness, or whatever... has the team, and individual players, improved from the beginning of the season to the end of the season? If the answer is yes, then the program is probably headed in the right direction. If the answer is no, then we have a problem. Has this team improved during the season? You folks tell me....

There is an adage as old as coaching itself... Players are made in the offseason teams are made in season. If we haven't made it team by this point. , it's time. 2 in the season and begin creating players. However I do not believe this season is over by a far stretch. I believe we will turn it around. And get back to where we need to be. I believe In Coach K being the one who can make this happen. And I will support her. When the rest of the fans don't. I stand by the fact that she Is Far and Away? Better than what was here? And has much more potential to grow. Then what was here.

This season isn't over! Only the game is. If we learn from the game. We benefit.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
This fanbase really takes the cake. It doesn't matter which sport, the instant gratification bunch chimes in if things don't START at a championship level. The standard diatribe on this forum over the last few seasons was how bad the Lady Vols played under Holly Warlick. So she gets the boot and they bring in another former Lady Vol in Kellie Harper. She of course gets immediately compared to Pat Summit. Halfway through her FIRST season and she doesn't have this team (Very poorly coached team) ready to win the Big Dance. How dare her!

Everyone forgets that the Pat Summit of the first couple of Seasons at UT wasn't the same as the overpowering personality that dominated Women's basketball for so long after that. Give Kellie time to get things righted before blowing up the ship.
Making to much sense to be patient. The problem many have understanding is just because you put on the Lady Vols Jersey it does not make you one of our greats from the past. This is a TOTAL REBUILD and many just do not see it. One example is your starting power forward (Lou) whom i love the heart she plays with but she is playing the game with ONE GOOD LEG but right now she is our best option.

Reactions: RollerVol
Making to much sense to be patient. The problem many have understanding is just because you put on the Lady Vols Jersey it does not make you one of our greats from the past. This is a TOTAL REBUILD and many just do not see it. One example is your starting power forward (Lou) whom i love the heart she plays with but she is playing the game with ONE GOOD LEG but right now she is our best option.

I disagree with you on Brown. If she is our option and is playing on one leg then why play her ? Because all it`s doing is hurting the team. i understand Rae is a hi risk player but gives you much more on the offensive end then Brown.

I went back to look at the box score from the earlier win against LSU. It is interesting that in that game Rennia went for 30 verus 19 in the loss and the difference covers the score gap last night.

As it stands, the LVs remain an offensively challenged team who rely on getting a big night from Rennia and hope for some scoring help from other spots on the floor.

With Rae, Jordan, and Jazz providing almost no scoring punch, suddenly the team has an offensive mountain to climb. Key and Brown both in chipped in 9 which helped but they went MIA in the second half.

Not having a consistent 3-point scoring option shooter continues to kill this team. On the other side, Trasi's 5 treys were both momentum killers for the LVs but they also created space for driving lanes that Pointer exploited.

Of course, the LVs defensive effort was disappointing. Without Zaay, there is no easy fix for addressing the "quick guard" problem but the LVs could have done a much better job in rotating over from the weak side to close down the open lane before Pointer got to the rim. Key only played 18 minutes with 3 fouls and as the teams best rim protector, I wonder why she did not see more time.

But, when you get such poor scoring production from everyone except Davis (and she is not having an out-of-the-world game) with no outside shooting to mention, you are in hole that is tough to dig out of with defense alone.

We did see that having Jazz on the court more did help reduce TOs, so there is that.

I also think the flu bug did have some impact on why some players looked flat. Not an excuse but illnesses happen and they have an effect.

A lot is riding on Sunday's game.

This year wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. Next year, with the return of Green and a few more guards joining the roster, they should be an improved team. If Kellie can't make it work with that squad, then I think she needs to be held to the fire for the following year.
This team seems to still have the residue of CHW on it.

Reactions: NeedOrange

VN Store

Back