Same Ole Crap from CHW

Is that true? The assistants are aware and have to sit right beside her and not do anything? Dang, we thought we had it bad! I just assumed they were all in a protective semi-coma or something.

I would think an assistant as longterm as Dean would have some input, especially in an obvious emergency situation. Which makes it even harder for me to understand why they never attempted to revamp the offense. Dean or someone must have brought it up.

I have watched the bench intently.
From my seat I can see them well.
I watch for individual and person-interactions in different instances/segments of the timeouts and game.
I watch how decisions are made.
I watch how they are delivered.
I watch the huddle and sporadically I key in on one assistant or player.
(Yes, I see the game as well, but my focus is my colleagues).

CHW is both wise and unwise not to have someone like me on her bench.
She'd hear me.

Name me your top 3 success stories of firing a coach in mid season for other than legal or moral colapses..... also throw in interim situations that worked well...

CPF will deal with this in a more proper time in a manner that will pass the PHS integrity and class tests. Doubt tossing her hand picked successor out on her ear under the banner with her name on it won't pass those tests.... I am GUESSING he is working his short list as we speak. Not too many top drawer coaches going to talk to you during the season, but some hypotheticals with agents can be thrown out there for end of season. Hoping he finds HW a landing spot in the ad somewhere.

That all sounds good, however, if the game completely goes into the toilet, not only could you lose recruits, you could also lose players on the team. Sometimes you have to decide what is best for the program. To be real, coaching at the D1 level is not a situation, where you pat a coach on the butt and say, "That is okay if you run this program in the ground, we just want you to feel good." That is the reason so many women's programs like, Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion,Texas (until they got serious), LSU, Texas Tech, USC, etc., are no longer, except for Texas, at the apex of women's college basketball. Once a program hits rock bottom, it is tough to put it back on track.

I don't want Holly to be embarrassed, however, at this point she is embarrassing herself and the program. I admit that it is a tough decision, however, sometimes, as an AD, you have to make tough calls even if you have to make the decision during the season. That being said, I do not see Holly being fired during this season no matter how far South this program heads.

Nobody said anything about what the next HC does for assistants - it goes without saying.
There is nothing wrong with Dean as an assistant for post players. Pat brought him in and stuck with him due to the success he had with ouf posts like Nikki.
Nobody said he was the answer but he is not the problem. He wasn't the problem with Pat and he's not responsible for Holly's failure.
NO HE IS NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM - the problem is HOLLY
I think all of the coaches are the problem. If Dean is the post player coach, he needs to be fired immediately!! I don’t care what he did 10 years ago with another player. Today post play is horrible. They don’t block out for rebounds and they don’t watch ball flight to gauge how the ball will come off the rim. These are things that have to be coached. This is not a one year thing, they have been horrible for several years at the post!!

I think all of the coaches are the problem. If Dean is the post player coach, he needs to be fired immediately!! I don’t care what he did 10 years ago with another player. Today post play is horrible. They don’t block out for rebounds and they don’t watch ball flight to gauge how the ball will come off the rim. These are things that have to be coached. This is not a one year thing, they have been horrible for several years at the post!!
I totally agree that none of the coaches are doing anything that is impressive. None of the Assistants outside of recruiting have done anything I can see of value to advance this basketball team. No group guards. forwards, inside players look like they have been coached to any determinable improvement.

the best barometer:
Harris...She's been here a week or two.
Pure post,,,not a stretch four or G/F...she is a pure post.
So she has to be his alone.

I have watched all of our posts intently in regards to mechanics. They Will receive a ball high and "belly it" nearly every time. Some call this a power-layup. I call it wasted motion. You've already got the ball high...Keep i t there!...Also; They put the ball on the floor when they are 3 foot from the rim...WHY?!!!!
And the mechanics on their jump-hooks (ugly)

Nope, sorry, but I am the barometer for ME. And if I consider that I can teach better mechanics than what I see, that leaves little room for me being impressed.

My worry if they wait until seasons end is that we’ll lose our entire incoming signing class. I think they need to make moves now, let Dean be the interim head coach and hire someone before the season is over. Simply so the new hire can build some trust with the recruits. If they fire her at the end of the season and we don’t have a coach until August they’ll all de-commit.

In one of the in conference games recently they showed Holly talking and gesturing in a crouch in an in game huddle and Dean leaning over her and talking "vigorously." Is that the norm? Who are the kids suppose to be listening to?

"I'm disappointed obviously in the outcome, but I will tell you this: Our kids didn't have anything left in their tank," Warlick said. "They fought and played hard. That's a great step for us and a good process for this team."

The TV color/analyst said UT came out the second half with nothing left. Yes, they played with great energy in the first half, but in mid-season there is no excuse for only being able to play hard for a half! This tells me that not only is Holly not coaching the kids up, she's not conditioning them up. The practices are not rigorous enough obviously.

Holly is an absolute VFL
She's not intentionally or maliciously destroying the program
The program is declining rapidly b/c of her inability to perform coaching tasks at a major college level (not b/c she doesn't love UT)
Her players are not responding to her leadership at all, so it does risk getting messy if allowed to continue to the season's end
She appears to be hanging on out of an overabundance of desire to keep trying and inability to admit the reality
If anyone can speak to that last point, it's our current AD
B/c she's a VFL, we should absolutely make sure the end of her coaching tenure is handled with dignity
She has absolutely earned the right IMO to complete her tenure at UT in some kind of role for the AD, probably liaison for women's sports
my cousin "LOVES" NASCAR, but that doesn't mean he has the skills or will ever win the Daytona 500. whether or not Warlick "loves UT" is not even close to being important. she has to go ASAP !!!

It would really be great if Holly would recognize her shortcomings and go to the AD and admit that she loves the Lady Vols but she just can't get the job done. I agree they should keep her involved in some area of the Lady Vol program. Also allow her to have some say concerning her replacement. This would help the Lady Vols keep their incoming recruits and would provide dignity for Holly and the program. In any case, I hope they give her the option of retiring, rather than just straight up showing her the door. I truly believe Holly is a good person who means well but is way over head.
a coach is not paid a lot of money "to be a good person and mean well"
and here is some stupid on steroids-- "Also allow her to have some say concerning her replacement."

somewhere out there some poor guy shook his head so much at that crap that he will be wearing a neck brace for years !

Holly is an absolute VFL
She's not intentionally or maliciously destroying the program
The program is declining rapidly b/c of her inability to perform coaching tasks at a major college level (not b/c she doesn't love UT)
Her players are not responding to her leadership at all, so it does risk getting messy if allowed to continue to the season's end
She appears to be hanging on out of an overabundance of desire to keep trying and inability to admit the reality
If anyone can speak to that last point, it's our current AD
B/c she's a VFL, we should absolutely make sure the end of her coaching tenure is handled with dignity
She has absolutely earned the right IMO to complete her tenure at UT in some kind of role for the AD, probably liaison for women's sports
I totally agree!

VN Store

Back