Samara Spencer to Tennessee!

Thank you. GLV truly makes me question if they want to see us succeed. I’ll leave it at that.
Very much. Been going to games for 25 yrs w daughters and now granddaughters. It's an important family tradition. I think CKC is very smart and capable. But I'm just not sold on this magical "system" and I want a versatile roster with a few players who can shoot. That's all.

Makes me wonder why more coaches don't do it then, esp ones with the absolute horses like Dawn.
Because it is not sustainable. I watch a lot of ball and I have never seen a team at any level play full court pressure defense for 40 minutes.

The most you will see is for a team to have one player pick up the PG at mid court to disrupt the offense sets. You will see some teams that try to apply pressure after made baskets but if you have a guard who is good at breaking the press, you wind up with defenders doing a lot of chasing for not any gain and your half court defensive sets are always discombobulated. Dawn is a great example, She presses like a surprise attack. Teams getting a little too comfortable bringing the ball up and then she blitzes them with a press (Or has one defender really hawk a key player from the mid court, as per SC's defense of Clark-- and even then, Clark still found plenty of space to work in).

I get what you are saying and I am not sure why some are spinning it as being anti-CKC. I am getting some of that too, We both agree that she is exceeding expectations to this point and has done great in her Assistant coach hires and bringing in quality power 5 players (rather than filling her roster with mid major transfers).

All of that is a different conversation from speculating about what her actual "system" will or won't be.

Last edited:
Watkins and Fulwiley seem born for such a system to me.

Also, I thought slaughtering on the boards was a big feature of this system.

There will be a lot of rebounds because there will be a lot of possessions created by lots of forced turnovers. That’s what happens when you increase the tempo of the game. We will likely be about even on the boards but hopefully about +12 in turnover margin. It’s a game of possessions, that’s how CKC plays it, she makes certain her team gets more looks at the basket than yours.

Because it is not sustainable. I watch a lot of ball and I have never seen a team at any level play full court pressure defense for 40 minutes.

The most you will see is for a team to have one player pick up the PG at mid court to disrupt the offense sets. You will see some teams that try to apply pressure after made baskets but if you have a guard who is good at breaking the press, you wind up with defenders doing a lot of chasing for not any gain and your half court defensive sets are always discombobulated. Dawn is a great example, She presses like a surprise attack. Teams getting a little too comfortable bringing the ball up and then she blitzes them with a press (Or has one defender really hawk a key player from the mid court, as per SC's defense of Clark-- and even then, Clark still found plenty of space to work in).

I get what you are saying and I am not sure why some are spinning it as being anti-CKC. I am getting some of that too, We both agree that she is exceeding expectations to this point and has done great in her Assistant coach hires and bringing in quality power 5 players (rather than filling her roster with mid major transfers).

All of that is different is a different conversation from speculating about what her actual "system" will or won't be.

It’s really not any point in complicating the facts. CKC is bringing a winning system to a storied basketball program in Tennessee. If not CKC it would’ve eventually been someone else but I guess people are questioning the system because it’s associated with CKC & not vice versa.
Before getting the obvious this system won’t work… so on so forth.. this system has been around a very long time on this level before CKC adopted it into her former programs.

I don't think anyone has stated CKC runs a version of Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of Hell.

Not going to happen, it's a simmered down version.
To be fair there have been people compare it to Nolan. I want to see it outside the few games online bc there have been so many statements on the system on here that sometimes contradict each other. The few things I feel more certain about are that we’ll shoot lots of 3s, emphasize quickness to get O boards and defend hard for 40 minutes.

It’s really not any point in complicating the facts. CKC is bringing a winning system to a storied basketball program in Tennessee. If not CKC it would’ve eventually been someone else but I guess people are questioning the system because it’s associated with CKC & not vice versa.
Before getting the obvious this system won’t work… so on so forth.. this system has been around a very long time on this level before CKC adopted it into her former programs.

I am not questioning CKC at all. I have been wanting the LVs to adopt a faster paced, spread the floor offense for a long time. It seems obvious from the signings that the LVs are going to be a faster more athletic team who should defend the perimeter better much better. On the downside, they may be defensively vulnerable to teams 1) handle pressure well: 2) and have scoring talent in the post but perhaps their team defensive can compensate for a lack of post size, particularly when Jillian is not on the court.

The flipside of your comment is that it seems some people are a little too defensive about CKC. If someone says her team is not going to play like a video game set to hyperspeed, then you go how dare anyone suggest that CKC will fail. That is not the discussion at all.

Reactions: spojo13
We will likely be about even on the boards but hopefully about +12 in turnover margin
Someone pulled up the stat from last yr and Auburn led the league in t.o. margin at 4.9 or something just under 5. So our team will need to more than double that. I totally understand the emphasis on more athletic players in order to try to accomplish that. But it's a huge ask.

And we still need scoring.

I don't think anyone has stated CKC runs a version of Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of Hell.

Not going to happen, it's a simmered down version.
Oh lots of people are expecting the Nolan R version, which is why it's brought up every single time someone askes for examples of when this system worked. For more recent versions we get Alabama and Auburn men. But no women's teams, except a lil Arky O and a lil Auburn D.

I agree, it will be a "simmer down now!" (In Living Color) version. Which is why I get discouraged about lack of shooters.

I am not questioning CKC at all. I have been wanting the LVs to adopt a faster paced, spread the floor offense for a long time. It seems obvious from the signings that the LVs are going to be a faster more athletic team who should defend the perimeter better much better. On the downside, they may be defensively vulnerable to teams 1) handle pressure well: 2) and have scoring talent in the post but perhaps their team defensive can compensate for a lack of post size, particularly when Jillian is not on the court.

The flipside of your comment is that it seems some people are a little too defensive about CKC. If someone says her team is not going to play like a video game set to hyperspeed, then you go how dare anyone suggest that CKC will fail. That is not the discussion at all.

Okay.

Someone pulled up the stat from last yr and Auburn led the league in t.o. margin at 4.9 or something just under 5. So our team will need to more than double that. I totally understand the emphasis on more athletic players in order to try to accomplish that. But it's a huge ask.

And we still need scoring.
That is a great comparative number. Anyone who has a system that requires you to more than double the best in the conference does not have a system. that would be a hope and prayer.

CKC is too smart for that. Lots of other SEC teams have athletic guards, play at a fast tempo and try to create turnovers If your team can minimize TOs while playing at pace and force the other team into more errors, then you can gain a marginal edge in a game of fine margins. Kellie came up just short on too many of those battles. CKC's job is to shift that ratio bur it is not going to be doubling the league best in To ratio.

That is a great comparative number. Anyone who has a system that requires you to more than double the best in the conference does not have a system. that would be a hope and prayer.
I'm just old and stuck in my ways and probably a little dumb. And honestly not trying to be Mr Neg. But the underlying philosophy of scrambling your ass off to create extra possesions because you shoot alot but not well just doesn't make sense. Pretzel logic. Just work for, take, and hit good shots.

Again, as we've both said 100 times, it will settle into a modified version hopefully w better D and a better paced, spread floor O. In fact, what I watched of Marshall's half court O against Wake Forest was very impressive, lots of movement, lots of cutting, the things we've been begging for. But also had god awful shooting. Back around the loop to my big fear . . .

Spencer is a better shooter than last year's stats say she is. She played over 37 minutes per game vs SEC. No one can shoot well when they are completely gassed. Plus, after Scott was out, Spencer was the defense's primary focus and she was still the go to at the end of the shot clock.

If she buys in, I think she's perfect for our 3s and layups offense. And there was never any doubt about her defense.

This is so much better than trying to retread a player from Pine Bluff.

Last edited:
Spencer is a better shooter than last year's stats say she is. She played over 37 minutes per game vs SEC. No one can shoot well when they are completely gassed. Plus, after Scott was out, Spencer was the defense's primary focus and she was still the go to at the end of the shot clock.

If she buys in, I think she's perfect for our 3s and layups offense. And there was never any doubt about he defense.

This is so much better than trying to retread a player from Pine Bluff.

Yes, she has three years of experience in the SEC. That is invaluable, she brings a scout with her which is always helpful.

Watkins and Fulwiley seem born for such a system to me.

Also, I thought slaughtering on the boards was a big feature of this system.
I think Watkins and Fulwiley are versatile enough to play in any system, the best always are hence why the best make good pros

Reactions: #1LVLS MAN 4 LIFE

VN Store

Back